VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central IL
    Search Comp PM
    Hello!!! I am burning DVD's for myself and friends. I capture home videos with virtualdub, then stick it in Sony Vegas and render it to an mpeg-2 file, then make a DVD with DVD architect 5.2. I made some that worked perfectly for my friend Dave, but when I did the same exact thing for my friend Tina, she sticks it into her DVD player and it says "format not supported". I have no clue what is wrong.

    I have read a MILLION possibilities.

    I would like to just have some simple foundational knowledge concerning what burned DVD's will play on what players, etc.

    I have heard that Wii's won't play burned discs, I have also heard that older DVD players and sony dvd players won't work. Just would love to have foundational knowledge from some people who have experience. Thank you!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    #1 It could be that you accidentally burned a Blu-ray-authored disc (even if it was onto DVD media), and friend #2's player would only accept DVD-authored. (DVD Architect can do both)

    #2 As you mentioned, some disc players don't like burned media. Also, some disc players (usually older) only like a certain type of burned media (+R vs. -R, R vs RW, RAM vs. RW, etc).

    #3 It could be that your media is of low quality and isn't being recognized because of this (unlikely, but I thought I'd put it out there).

    The thing to do is go online and read the manual for that person's model of player and see SPECIFICALLY which formats/types their player DOES support.

    Where in C. IL do you live? I used to live in C-U 'til last year.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Any particular reason you are using Virtualdub instead of going straight into Vegas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Freedonia
    Search Comp PM
    "Format unsupported" is a catch all error message of the type that programmers love to use where it doesn't tell you enough to narrow down the problem and it's actually used to cover a wide array of possibilities. Another possibility is that you made a PAL DVD and her player can't play that at all. Is your output at 25 fps? If so, then this is likely your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dewster85 View Post
    Hello!!! I am burning DVD's for myself and friends. I capture home videos with virtualdub, then stick it in Sony Vegas and render it to an mpeg-2 file, then make a DVD with DVD architect 5.2. I made some that worked perfectly for my friend Dave, but when I did the same exact thing for my friend Tina, she sticks it into her DVD player and it says "format not supported". I have no clue what is wrong.

    I have read a MILLION possibilities.

    I would like to just have some simple foundational knowledge concerning what burned DVD's will play on what players, etc.

    I have heard that Wii's won't play burned discs, I have also heard that older DVD players and sony dvd players won't work. Just would love to have foundational knowledge from some people who have experience. Thank you!!!
    You didn't mention what software you used for burning the DVDs or how the files and folders were burned. ImgBurn is recommended here because it burns DVDs correctly. Also, although some players will play DVD files and folders burned as data, most require burning in DVD video format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Since no one mentioned it, you might look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. That will tell you more about the DVD format, structure and specifications.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Since no one mentioned it, you might look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. That will tell you more about the DVD format, structure and specifications.
    Actually, since Baldrick redesigned the page, the "What Is" pulldown menu is to the top right, next to the Search tool.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central IL
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    #1 It could be that you accidentally burned a Blu-ray-authored disc (even if it was onto DVD media), and friend #2's player would only accept DVD-authored. (DVD Architect can do both)

    #2 As you mentioned, some disc players don't like burned media. Also, some disc players (usually older) only like a certain type of burned media (+R vs. -R, R vs RW, RAM vs. RW, etc).

    #3 It could be that your media is of low quality and isn't being recognized because of this (unlikely, but I thought I'd put it out there).

    The thing to do is go online and read the manual for that person's model of player and see SPECIFICALLY which formats/types their player DOES support.

    Where in C. IL do you live? I used to live in C-U 'til last year.

    Scott
    Thank you!!! I am up in B-N!!! Although I was born in Champaign!!! What were you in C-U for? work, school, or did you grow up there?

    #1. I just checked, and it looked like DVDA was mastering/authoring for DVD's. I played around to make sure, and under properties it asks which disc format (DVD or Blu-Ray) and it already had DVD selected. I also checked under mastering (under properties in DVDA) and it says "Output format: DDP 2.10" (Other options being DDP 2.00 and CMF 1.0), and it says "DVD-ROM type: DVD-5 (4.7G) with all the others (DVD-1, DVD-2, etc) as possibilities.

    #2--I feel like this is the problem. I need to text her to see what brand DVD player she has. I tried the DVD she returned to me in the Nintendo Wii, and it didn't play. But, I don't know if Wii plays burned discs or not though, so if anyone has solid, experiential info as to whether the Wii plays burned discs, lemme know!!!

    #3 I am using cheap store bought brands (like the memorex 50 pack from meijer) because I didn't want to spend a lot of money doing this for friends. If I end up using a higher media, I might just have them pay for the DVD's.

    Thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central IL
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Any particular reason you are using Virtualdub instead of going straight into Vegas?
    I have EZ-Cap.tv as the USB capture device using the RCA Yellow/White/Red composite cables. For some reason, when I go to capture into Sony Vegas Pro 12, it does not like my EZCap. It won't recognize the device. Plus, I trust VirtualDub and like it compared to every other capture software I have tried.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central IL
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by dewster85 View Post
    Hello!!! I am burning DVD's for myself and friends. I capture home videos with virtualdub, then stick it in Sony Vegas and render it to an mpeg-2 file, then make a DVD with DVD architect 5.2. I made some that worked perfectly for my friend Dave, but when I did the same exact thing for my friend Tina, she sticks it into her DVD player and it says "format not supported". I have no clue what is wrong.

    I have read a MILLION possibilities.

    I would like to just have some simple foundational knowledge concerning what burned DVD's will play on what players, etc.

    I have heard that Wii's won't play burned discs, I have also heard that older DVD players and sony dvd players won't work. Just would love to have foundational knowledge from some people who have experience. Thank you!!!
    You didn't mention what software you used for burning the DVDs or how the files and folders were burned. ImgBurn is recommended here because it burns DVDs correctly. Also, although some players will play DVD files and folders burned as data, most require burning in DVD video format.
    I burn them using DVD Architect 5.2. It allows you to burn the DVD you just authored in it. Although I have done IMGBurn for CD's, so I might try it here because I REALLY like IMGBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central IL
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Since no one mentioned it, you might look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. That will tell you more about the DVD format, structure and specifications.
    Actually, since Baldrick redesigned the page, the "What Is" pulldown menu is to the top right, next to the Search tool.
    Thank you to BOTH you guys, that is what I did first thing when I checked today, and it was VERY helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    @drewster,

    Was in CU because my spouse went to grad school there, and then we stayed (20 years, not counting 2 excursions). It's a real good place to grow up/raise kids. (B-N is good, too! Go Redbirds.)

    Wii will only play DVDs if it has been modded (either replacement modded chip or soft mod update).

    Media quality is more important that you'd think, but it is not likely that not reading correctly would give a "format not supported" (possible, but not likely).
    More likely is jman98's suggestion, about PAL not being playable on NTSC dvd players. In US, almost ALL settop DVD players are NTSC. If your friends are using PCs to playback, they won't encounter that problem, but if your friend Tina IS (using a settop), she WOULD encounter it.

    Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 4th Jun 2014 at 18:26.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    @dewster85 Regarding PAL... You said you were capturing home videos and making DVDs from them. Is there any chance that the problem DVDs came from home videos recorded with a PAL camera or a PAL VCR? It doesn't seem likely that a PAL DVD would result from simply rendering your captures with Sony Vegas Pro 12 or using DVD Architect 5.2 to author if the original recordings were made with a NTSC camera or a NTSC VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Since no one mentioned it, you might look to the upper left on this page for 'WHAT IS' DVD. That will tell you more about the DVD format, structure and specifications.
    Actually, since Baldrick redesigned the page, the "What Is" pulldown menu is to the top right, next to the Search tool.
    It's still on the left with my PC. But the OP has looked at it anyway.
    Quote Quote