VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't know the technicalities of how DVD ripping software actually works, but what I have is a VIDEO_TS folder with all the necessary VOB, BUP and INI files but when I try to "play" it it goes right to the main feature and wont let me access the menu or navigation. I tried using ImgBurn to create an ISO - hoping somehow that would fix it, to no avail.

It's been years ago, but I remember once just using "copy" to copy the files from a decrypted, burned DVD to my HD and learning that this didn't work. There seems to be something about using the proper ripping software to make sure the resulting folder maintains all the proper navigation info.

I've been told by a reliable source that as long as I do in fact have all the original files that they can be "remuxed", but this person did not know exactly how to do that so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,

mugz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Remux" (re-multiplex) is the wrong term here.
    Muxing has nothing to do with your error.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    "Remux" (re-multiplex) is the wrong term here.
    Muxing has nothing to do with your error.
    Could you give me any instructions or hints on how to fix this?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If your source was ripped with out menus then there's no way to get back the menus unless you reauthor and make a new custom menu or get the original dvd and rip with dvdfab in full movie mode.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Could you give me any instructions or hints on how to fix this?
    I'm not sure that you can because I think you actually do NOT "in fact have all the original files". If you did truly have them all, you probably wouldn't be seeing what you are seeing.

If the menu stuff actually exists but something weird happened to make it go to the movie automatically, it might be possible to fix it with PgcEdit. I said MIGHT. I don't personally know what exactly you'd have to do, but that might be tool for the job.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ok, I've discovered that if I simply double-click on VIDEO_TS.IFO MPC-HC opens the DVD normally, the menu's come up, they work fine - I can select trailers, extras, chapters - the whole works, it works perfectly! But when I use imgburn to create an ISO - and burn it to a DVD -or- I tried Ashampoo to burn a disk using the folder itself as my souce - again I get a DVD that wont display the menu and just plays the main feature - if I press "menu" it just goes back to the beginning of the feature.

So, it does appear everything is there and working properly - i just have to double click the VIDEO_TS.IFO.. :/ Seems like there should be some simple fix for thls...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by mugz8391 View Post
    Seems like there should be some simple fix for thls...
    There probably is ... if you know a little about PGCEdit. Run the Trace and change where it goes to where it should go.

How did you decrypt the DVD in the first place? Doing the whole DVD using DVDFab HD Decrypter (or using File Mode in DVD Decrypter if it doesn't have advanced copy protection) should get it to the hard drive correctly.

By the way, it's just an extra and unnecessary step to create an ISO for burning. ImgBurn will happily burn the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There probably is ... if you know a little about PGCEdit. Run the Trace and change where it goes to where it should go.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can figure it out.

How did you decrypt the DVD in the first place? Doing the whole DVD using DVDFab HD Decrypter (or using File Mode in DVD Decrypter if it doesn't have advanced copy protection) should get it to the hard drive correctly.
    I didn't do it, my son made the backup a few years ago and now the DVD is lost. I have no idea what he used or how he did it.

By the way, it's just an extra and unnecessary step to create an ISO for burning. ImgBurn will happily burn the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Ya, I was just trying different tools, on occasion I've found programs like this have "built in" methods of correcting errors.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you no longer have the original dvd disc then it's illegal to have a backup copy if the dis was copyrighted.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    If you no longer have the original dvd disc then it's illegal to have a backup copy if the dis was copyrighted.
    Um, I didn't say I didn't have it, I said it was lost, (probably in a box in the storage shed). It's a rare anime, otherwise I would just pay a $1 at redbox or download it from netflix... But... isn't that the point of making a backup? In case your DVD is lost or damaged?

Pardon me if I doubt your legal expertise on the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The point in making a backup is to store the original away so if the backup gets lost or damaged and why would you store a rare dvd in a storage shed?Downloading from netflix is illegal as well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    why would you store a rare dvd in a storage shed?
    Because my house doesn't have an attic.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Sorry for the double-post but I just wanted to say "thanks!" to manomano - I learned enough to get the menu button working. When I play it now the main feature starts but I can press the menu button now and it takes me to the main menu where all the buttons work and I can access all the extras now form my TV remote.

I actually don't do much dvd ripping or burning but it's nice to have a forum like this to come to when I find myself in a fix.
    Quote Quote  
  14. If you want to jump to the menu instead of the movie when the DVD is inserted, use PGC -> Jump to PGC Upon DVD Insert. Follow the instructions. Usually, it's very easy to do.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!