VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have recently purchased a Sony TRV65E Hi-8 camcorder, which I am very pleased with. However, I am struggling to find a cheap and easy way to digitise the footage onto my Mac.

I also own a Sony TRV17E mini DV camcorder and I have heard that it is possible to use a mini DV camera as a deck and then transfer this onto the computer using a firewire cable (which I already own and have used frequently to digitise mini DV footage). However, I am not sure how I could connect the two cameras so that the footage from the Hi-8 would play through the mini DV. It doesn't help either that I know nothing about cables!

These are the sockets available on the TRV65E Hi-8 camcorder

Click image for larger version

Name:	hi-8.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	25230

And these are the ones available on the TRV17E mini DV camcorder

Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-dv.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	25231

Any advice on how/what cables I can use to connect the two cameras so that the Hi-8 can play through the mini DV would be very helpful!
    Quote Quote  
  2. That model DV camera has no input connectors. It will not work.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ah alright, what do you mean by input connectors? And do you know any other relatively cheap models that I could use and how I could do it? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a newbie and I really want to get this footage digitised
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Most of the time, those connections are one way. Either incoming or outgoing. For a Dvcam to work for what you want, it has to have 3 features: an input compatible with your other cam's output, "analog passthrough" capability, and a dv/FireWire output. Yours has the last, but not the first 2.

Your choices:
    Get a digital8 cam instead.
    Get a canopus/gv adc-100 or similar converter box to go between the hi8 cam & pc.
    Get an analog capture card.
    (If you only have a few) use a service

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for the advice! I've been doing a bit of poking around about Canopus and I was just wondering whether I should by a ADVC - 100 or an ADVC - 110, I can't seem to figure out what the difference between the two is
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A simple history search on this site would have brought up that info: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/233261-Canopus-ADVC-100-vs-Canopus-ADVC-110

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!