VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Win 7 x64
    Nero essentials V9
    All drives are SATA

I have two optical drives in my tower. InfoTool & DiscSpeed found both.
    I added a third drive to benchmark, but neitherr program sees the drive.

The burning program sees and reads the drive with media in it.
    Device manager sees the drive.
    The O/S sees and can read from the drive.

I have restarted InfoTool & DiscSpeed more than once, but all they can see are the first two drives.

Whats' wrong??
    Last edited by videobruce; 16th May 2014 at 13:57.
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like a Nero bug. Try unplugging one of the older drives and see if Nero sees the new one then.
    But years ago when I used Nero, it seemed to see how ever many optical drives I had.

If that works, then you might want to go to a Nero forum to get answers. Not many of us here use Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did remove one of the two original drives. That drive disappeared from the two listed (as it should), but the new drive still didn't show.
    I now tried another new drive, but the same thing. Only the one of the two original drives shows. The funny thing is the burning program itself sees the drive.

Suggestions on a DiscSpeed benchmark/ performance program??
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A suggestion.

Un-install (if you can) the Nero Utilities (and clear any registry entries for these)
    Re-connect all drives
    Re-install the Nero Utilities
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What DB83 said. Or upgrade to a newer version of Nero. Nero has been notorious for many years for being unable to see drives added after the original installation of Nero. The only fix is to upgrade Nero or blow it away and reinstall it.

By the way, depending on DiscSpeed is insane, but it's your time to waste. Even the really hard core disc scanners don't use it. I think disc scanning is almost always nuts. so no, I'm not going to tell you what else you can use. If you're going to go down that path, I think the CDFreaks website has info on it. But you may not be happy to learn that many drives are unreliable for disc scanning anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did find that Infotool which apparently is the same or similar to what Nero has. That k-probe is very dated (2006). I'll look into that PlexTool.

I did remove everything and just installed the tool (V7 thought it wqas reported to be the 2014 version) but still the same problem.

FUBAR solution;
    I removed both optical drives. After a few seconds, the program cleared the entities. I then connected a new drive and it saw that new drive. Apparently it only allows two drives in it's memory. To clear the memory, all drives (optical) have to be removed, not just one.
    Also, when you go to save the results, the previous drives ID is in the file name. You have to re-name it for the current drive before you save it.

Really lame, it's a nice program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nero Discspeed does not function on my real old optical drives
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nero used to have an 'uninstaller' program available on their site because it didn't delete or uninstall properly within windows.
    You might try the Nero forums for that.

I suspect the program is leaving something in your computer's registry and that's what you would need to delete or change to specify the number of drives.
    Removing the drives won't reset that.

I wouldn't mess around in the registry unless you really know what you are doing. You can brick the OS fairly easily.
    If no luck at the Nero site, you might try Revo Uninstaller: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are brand new drives. The program functions fine as long as you only have two drives. It's clearing out old drives that is the probelm. There is no 'refresh' function in the program. Closing it and re-opening it doesn't solve the problem either if any drives are left connected. You have to disconnect all of them to test any other drives. Surely sounds like a bug to me.

This appears to be the latest (last) version of that program from the 3rd party that wrote the program (it's not Nero). I found a link that claimed it was from 2014, but the same version DiscSpeed that was in V9 was in this separate download.

I already use Revo, but it still leaves stuff behind. I use a older Registry program called "RegistryCrawler" that I haven't found anything better to do what it does. It's basically a search engine for registry entries, but it doesn't allow 'Enum' entries to be deleted which is annoying.
    Last edited by videobruce; 17th May 2014 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!