VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have trawled through this forum and think I've got a handle on how to go about archiving my VHS footage on the computer, but there is a lot of different advice and I'm a complete novice, so any comments on the below would be appreciated.

PAL capture is from a low-end VCR via composite, passed through a Panasonic DVD recorder (to correct horrid timing errors), to a USB-Live2. I'm happy with the video quality from this. So for archiving, I gather a simple path would be to capture using vdub with HuffyYUV (720x576, 25 FPS, YUY2 source) to create an AVI file without any filtering? Then use a copy of this file to play around with post-processing in vdub (or other programme) and encode as MPEG-2 or similar for sharing and web use?

I'll start with settings similar to those danno78 posted a while back, with Fast Recompress and audio sourced from the USB-Live2:

At Video tick:
    Overlay,
    Video Source> composite Capture Pin > 25 Frame rate, Color space YUY2, Output size 720x576
    Capture Filter: Filters properties > you can raise the volume up to 255, Video decoder > Pal
    Crossbar: Video Composite In
    Output > Audio Decoder Out = audio line in <Input, Also tick Related Link Stream
    Compresion > Huffyuv or Lagarith

At Audio tick these:
    Enable audio capture
    Volume meter
    Don`t tick Enable Audio Playback during capture because you get dropped frames
    Capture Device
    Source Audio> Audio Line

At Capture tick only > Timing > Do not resync between audio and video stream
    Automatically disable resync when integrated audio / video capture is detected

From the File> Set Capture File

Does this all sound reasonable?
    Quote Quote