VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have Handbrake and I like the x.264 encoder in it, but I would like to use that in iMovie 3, 5 or 6, too.

Is there a way I can make iMovie recognize that there is not only the apple h.264 and the freeware x.264 I installed, but also the ffmpegX x.264?

Thanks. (Mind I have a PowerPC-Mac)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not really. iMovie exports rely on the QuickTime framework. The x.264 from ffmpegX does not conform to to those specs.

What is your perceived relation between x.264 in Handbrake and x.264 in ffmpegX? I think these two may be very different implementations.
    What would yet another x.264 encoder add in comparison to that other freeware x.264 implementation? I.e. precisely what are you looking for?
    That freeware x.264 you installed, would that be x264 QuickTime Codec 1.1?

I don't expect (m)any developers are working on PPC code these days, so your options may be limited to what was available some years ago and which is still available. Apple retired the PowerPC hardware line in 2006. Apple sort of retired the PowerPC compatible software with the release of Xcode 4.0 software development tools in 2011, making it very hard for developers to keep making releases for both very old and newer systems from that point on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    A) What is your perceived relation between x.264 in Handbrake and x.264 in ffmpegX?

B) What would yet another x.264 encoder add in comparison to that other freeware x.264 implementation? I.e. precisely what are you looking for?
    c) That freeware x.264 you installed, would that be x264 QuickTime Codec 1.1?
    A) I remembered wrongly, that Handbrake's x.264 codec was taken from the ffmpegX-project. I had in minf I read something about that Handbrake uses something from ffmpegX. But I may be wrong, now that I visited the Handbrake site again.

B) the one in Handbrake is far superior to iMovie and even to the two freeware ones I found. Better, not blocky picture with the same bitrate (I found 1150kbit/s to be the critical point.). It also has more advanced uptions.

C) exactly the one you linked and this one http://www003.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mycometg3/ (scroll down a bit to the 10.4 PowerPC compatible one)

The reason, why I want to use that codec in iMovie directly, is, that you can't just encode the DV file in iMovie's project folder, because this will be uncut/unedited (iMovie keeps the file intact and only saves chages in a little extra file, so you see the changes only, if you open the project, where you will see the movie without the scenes you deleted.
    If you now thik, why not export the iMovie file first and then encode it with Handbrake, tehn the answer is, tha iMovie procuces a DVCpro file out of the uncut DV file, which further degrades quality, before I can finally use it in Handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!