VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Thread
  1. I have two vcr
    one is a medical video recoder,SVHS with disturb correction,hifi stereo and a lot of features
    model mitsubishi hs-md3000
    other one is a normal LG home vcr,model is LV4685

    http://vis.mitsubishielectric.co.uk/products/ip_solutions/printing/hs-md3000e

    Wich is better in your opinion for vhs capture/rip?
    Last edited by heyheyhey; 9th May 2014 at 11:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Since you say you have both of them, why not just try them both and see? The "better" machine may be in far worse condition. Use a small section of the same tape.

    (BTW, you can't rip a VHS, you can dub, copy, digitize, capture or ingest it.)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Republic of Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed, you need to test out tapes on them. Many medical VCRs were modified by Biomedical technology companies to handle fluoroscopic and sonographic signals; and as a result will not play standard signals for home television systems. Make sure you don't have one of those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have tested both,home vcr give better picture but on old vhs give alligned heads problem,medical vcr doesn't give problems on this
    ,also sound is al little high on home vcr.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by filmboss80 View Post
    Indeed, you need to test out tapes on them. Many medical VCRs were modified by Biomedical technology companies to handle fluoroscopic and sonographic signals; and as a result will not play standard signals for home television systems. Make sure you don't have one of those.
    I have made some vhs with medical vcr seems good,only colours are a little dark
    Quote Quote  
  6. The stable image is from medical vcr
    the disturbed one is from home vcr
    I see better colour in home,and better clearness on medical
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0001.png
Views:	651
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	25103  

    Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0002.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	25105  

    Last edited by heyheyhey; 9th May 2014 at 13:56.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sounds like you need to proceed on a tape by tape basis -- not so unusual. When you say the colors are dark how are you judging this, with a waveform and vectorscope, a properly calibrated monitor...?
    Quote Quote  
  8. edit:error
    Last edited by heyheyhey; 9th May 2014 at 13:56.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by heyheyhey View Post
    I see better colour in home,and better clearness on medical
    I see destroyed image on home.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by heyheyhey View Post
    I see better colour in home,and better clearness on medical
    I see destroyed image on home.
    Yes,but don't care about this is for VCR alignment
    i see better colours on the home vcr
    Quote Quote  
  11. If watching that picture pleases you, it's your right and your choice. Enjoy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    If watching that picture pleases you, it's your right and your choice. Enjoy.
    Of course in this case i prefer the other one
    Quote Quote  
  13. Wich is better in your opinion?

    Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0003.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	25109Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0004.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	25110
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    While I think it needs tweaking in AVISynth afterwards (dyn range, saturation, some moire, etc), I personally like the medical Svhs vcr better.

    Here's an idea - why don't you use BOTH?! Transfer both to file, edit head+tail so they match frames exactly, clean them up in AVISynth (as best as possible for their own internal faults), then do an AVERAGE/MEDIAN of the 2. Common/similar parts (which are usually the good parts) will ~double in strength vs. the noise.

    BTW, I notice that the last example does NOT show frames from the same moment.

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member PuzZLeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Search Comp PM
    I have four main VCRs that I capture with, and any one can do better than the other three on a given tape. (And can be yet another machine that just does the audio part better...)

    VHS is a chaotic format. Therefore, such irregularities, or defying of gravity or logic, are more rule than exception and have no rhyme or reason to them. I wouldn't be surprised if your LG will outperform the Mistubishi from time to time. And in post-processing, many flaws can be corrected from either machine (such as the color, noise and crosstalk problems in your pics), so it's not a straightforward answer you'll get here on which one machine to capture with.

    So I say, like others, use BOTH, and compare. You can test with a small segment before the big capture.

    Or, you can go ahead and do multiple complete captures, and edit out a "best of" in an editing timeline, or like Cornucopia brought up, you can use averaging, or even blending/median techniques with AviSynth.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member PuzZLeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by heyheyhey View Post
    Wich is better in your opinion?
    I'm assuming the first one is from the LG since it has crosstalk.

    After post-processing, there won't be any huge difference. But a video sample will help.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 11th May 2014 at 22:52.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    I don't like either.
    If this is a serious endeavor, get a better VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    I don't like either.
    If this is a serious endeavor, get a better VCR.
    I want only to backup my old vhs to digital format,only backup because vhs
    are not eternal.
    Did you think is really bad my vcr?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0001.png
Views:	739
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	25163
    Quote Quote  
  19. They look horribly oversmoothed to me. But I believe that's whatever you're doing on the digital side, not the VCRs.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    They look horribly oversmoothed to me. But I believe that's whatever you're doing on the digital side, not the VCRs.
    Yes is the hqdn3d,but i prefer it to a video with noise
    and it work fine on some video,look at this,is not oversmoothed imho

    Click image for larger version

Name:	shot0001.png
Views:	569
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	25202
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member PuzZLeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Search Comp PM
    Is that last one from the Mistubishi? Maybe "not oversmoothed", but looks overprocessed. But, I could be wrong because it's only a picture.

    One frame can be deceptive in using it as inference to the quality of the video at large. If you need better advice, you need to post video samples. Capture something raw and post.

    Even so, one tape could look better with your LG and the other can with the Mitsubishi. It's not so straightforward anyway, but we can try.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Is that last one from the Mistubishi? From this point of view it does look a bit smoothed, or over-processed. But, I could be wrong because it's only a picture.

    One frame can be deceptive in using it as inference to the quality of the video at large. If you need better advice, you need to post video samples. Capture something raw and post.

    Even so, one tape could look better with your LG and the other can with the Mitsubishi. It's not so straightforward anyway, but we can try.
    Yes is from Mistubishi
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member PuzZLeR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Search Comp PM
    It's processed nice and clean, and very similar to what JVC higher end machines do with some tapes. IMO the tapes that works very well with these types of VCRs (Mistubishi high end and JVC high end) are indeed commercial or professional tapes.

    However, I don't like that processed look with EP, or older TV recordings, or similar.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    It's processed nice and clean, and very similar to what JVC higher end machines do with some tapes. IMO the tapes that works very well with these types of VCRs (Mistubishi high end and JVC high end) are indeed commercial or professional tapes.

    However, I don't like that processed look with EP, or older TV recordings, or similar.
    I have only commercial original tapes,some very good quality,other no,other totally ruined
    i try to save what i can..for other tapes i try in the future with better VCR and better video capture
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by heyheyhey View Post
    look at this,is not oversmoothed imho
    I disagree completely, but it's your video.
    Quote Quote