VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and copy Ultra HD Blu-rays and DVDs! Or rip iTunes movies and music! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    For capturing VHS or video from an analog camcorder, what other options are there besides DV? What I'm really asking is what are *better* options? I've done capture to mjpeg but it's my understanding that DV is superior. I don't have any particular complaint about the results I get doing it via DV, just curious.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Lossless is marginally better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, "marginally" is the key word.

But, keep in mind, a lossless format, like HuffYUV, could be over twice the file size over DV for only a (very) tiny quality advantage.

Since your camcorder is analog, and if you're nitpicky like me, and don't mind the extra HDD space, then use lossless for "better". Otherwise, I'd say you're perfectly fine with DV, and shouldn't care for other "better" options.

(BTW - Avoid uncompressed RGB. Pure overkill.)
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PuzZLeR View Post
    Yes, "marginally" is the key word.

But, keep in mind, a lossless format, like HuffYUV, could be over twice the file size over DV for only a (very) tiny quality advantage.

Since your camcorder is analog, and if you're nitpicky like me, and don't mind the extra HDD space, then use lossless for "better". Otherwise, I'd say you're perfectly fine with DV, and shouldn't care for other "better" options.

(BTW - Avoid uncompressed RGB. Pure overkill.)
    To clarify, what I currently do is either capture from a VCR via pass-through going through a Digital8 camcorder, or play 8mm/Hi8 tapes with the Digital8 camera.

Are you saying it's possible to capture directly to Huffyuv? What hardware would you use?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Right now you're going into the computer via a Firewire card? To cap lossless you'll need either the right capture card or a USB device that allows for lossless capture. As far as I know most (but not all) do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, as asked, how are you capturing to the computer?

If you're doing it via firewire, then I don't know of a good method that would produce HuffYUV, or any lossless format, with any improved results over DV. To get the most out of lossless, you would need a good internal capture card, or a USB one, also as mentioned.

Some good USB capture devices, that can do lossless AVI, are the ATI 600 USB, ezcap.tv (the REAL one) and the Hauppauge USB-Live2.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote