VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone. Years ago I used to be in this forum a lot. I had three R200 printers running at the same time printing DVDs. Then I bought two R220s and they were faster than the three R200s. The CIS units and the printers are worn out and I need a new printer. What is the best way to go? From what I can see, it seems the Artisan 800 would work. Is the 810 better? A computer store guy told me HP prints DVDs very good. I want good printing and also need it to accept a CIS. Which way do I go? Thanks in advance for your reply!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Artisan 800 and 810 were discontinued some time back. There are still a few refurbished ones for sale.

I bought a Canon Pixma IP7220. It goes through ink rather quickly, which makes me glad I don't do a huge amount of printing. There is a CIS system for it http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store441/home.php?cat=143 although I haven't tried one myself. It seems OK for printing, but since this is my first disc printer I have no basis for comparison. One thing reviewers dislike about it for photo and document printing is that paper is tray-fed only only and it accepts a limited number of paper sizes.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th May 2014 at 13:55.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've always used Epson printers for printing on CD, DVD or Bluray. Right now I have an Epson Artisan 837 and it works great. Epson has it on their web site for $110 with free shipping. At that price I should buy a spare.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use a Canon MG6220 for disc label printing. Very satisfied. The secret to not using a lot of ink is to not turn it off. That way it's not always trying to clean the heads. I've been using it for almost 2 years and I've never had a clogging problem.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052 View Post
    I use a Canon MG6220 for disc label printing. Very satisfied. The secret to not using a lot of ink is to not turn it off. That way it's not always trying to clean the heads. I've been using it for almost 2 years and I've never had a clogging problem.
    I agree. I read about that trick in Consumer Reports after I bought my printer, and it does help. However, their testing indicated that the IP7220 does go through ink cartridges faster than some other printers. I don't recall what they said about the Canon MG6220, if they said anything at all.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have so many labels formatted in PageMaker for the R200 and R220, that maybe I should stay with Epson. The CIS cartridges have auto resetting chips and I also learned to leave the printer on. We had gotten some Canons for work before they were disc enabled for printing years ago and I did not like them. Maybe it was because work was a MAC platform and the printers liked PC's? I did refill a lot of carts though and that was messy business. Full color DVDs used up a lot of ink. There are Artisan 800 and 810s on Amazon for $140 to $150.... I will look at the 837 and see what it says. Thanks for the replies. No one using HP?

I saw the Epson sale on the 837 but it is refurbished. There are still 800s and 810s on Amazon that are new.
    OK... Which printer to get...? ahhhhhhh
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I have the Canon IP7220 as well, but for what the OP wants to do, I can't recommend it although I am happy enough with the printer. I previously used a Canon IP4500. The IP7220 process of printing to discs is very labor intensive and for home users who just print a few discs every now and then, it's fine, but I can't imagine someone using this non-stop with all the manual steps required to get it to print to a disc.

I bought an Epson printer before my old Canon IP4500 and I will NEVER do that again. Had to send it back. The $#%^ printer refused to recognize the official Epson ink cartridges that came with the printer. Keep in mind that this was a new, out of the box printer being set up for the first time. I read online that if you are unlucky enough to have this happen to you, you have to replace the printer. I said "Screw that", sent it back to NewEgg for a refund and went with Canon instead. HP is king of the low end of the printer business for home users and I think we've had a few users use their printers to print to discs, but most go with Epson and Canon.

Just FYI, nothing you print will ever look better than on Taiyo Yuden's Watershield line of DVD-R discs. Nobody else's discs are even in the same ballpark for quality of final product, not even Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!