VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if Bluray supports Standard Definition in 24p, 25p or 29.97p?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Various people here swear that BluRay does NOT support SD progressive, but I am pretty sure I've seen it used in supplemental material for Battlestar Galactica. Unfortunately I don't have time to look into that and offer proof. Truthfully nobody here that I know of has actually seen the secret spec documents for BluRay so from my perspective people are just working from rumor in saying that only 25i and 29.97i at 60 fps is valid for SD under BluRay, but that won't stop people from swearing that only this is valid.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So the fake interlaced method - will it still be and look like a progressive video, it's just that you're telling the Bluray encoder that it's interlaced?

I encode my videos and then I author them (mux) with MultiAVCHD. Should I be doing the fake interlaced method when encoding the video or when authoring it to Bluray?

What's a Primary and Secondary stream? I assume the primary stream is the first title but what's the secondary stream?

On the same disc can I have some SD titles interlaced and some progressive? Or on the same disc can I have some titles in HD and some in SD as long as they're all using a PAL or NTSC framerate?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fake interlaced is an X264 setting... X264 is an encoder...

Secondary Video would be picture in picture, you can have secondary audio too for an in-vision commentary but there are no free encoders of the necessary codecs.

Presumably, I don't think a blu ray player would check every title, determine which are interlaced and which aren't, then spit the dummy if they're not all the same.
    A lot of Blu rays have a HD main feature and mixed HD/SD special features.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    VideoFanatic - you are WAY overthinking this. I make BluRays for personal use from old laserdiscs and I encode them as 480p 24 fps. I've yet to find a player that won't play them. I have no way to know whether that's within spec or not, but they play. Unless you are making a commercial disc for sale and your purpose is to make something for your own playback, just go with whatever is easiest for you and see if it works on your player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Technically, Blu ray players are more than capable of decoding h.264 streams consisting of interlaced or progressive content, they're also capable of resizing and changing the frame rate. Unless the player is actually looking at the video and determining if it's valid or not, theoretically any given Blu Ray player should be able to decode anything you throw at it. BUT THEY'RE NOT REQUIRED TO. It's possible certain Blu Ray players have some link in the chain that makes assumptions about what's being input, and feeding it anything else could cause problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Blu-ray spec, which I don't have direct access to but have the nearest published thing: "Blu-Ray Disc Demystified", specifies that ALL SD material is interlaced.

How players implement this varies, so that restriction has been seen to be relaxed enough that, along with encoders that create "Fake Interlaced", you can get progressive footage to show on BD titles. This is actually no different than showing non-interlaced material on DVD titles, because they have the same spec restriction, which is also bypassed in the same way. IVTC makes use of this all the time.

Lots depends how the player will react to what it sees. If a player has the facility to extract progressive footage (assuming it correctly recognizes it), that's what it will show (when that feature setting is turned on).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!