VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    You have to repeat the loop as many times as you need, then render it out. I'm not aware of any media player that can loop seamlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    It's for infinite playback for an exhibition! Shoulda mentioned that I guess. So I could do that but at some point there will be a join.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're gonna have to fade in and out if you want "seamless" infinite playback.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Fade the audio? It's practically seamless now if it wasn't for the tiny juddering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "juddering" is because the beats are not lined up. You've got to time it precisely on the downbeat of the bars. Regular audio editors do not interpret the beats, only the time.

Just tap your foot to the beat and make your trims that way.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    No it's how QuickTime/VLC handles it.

When you say the beats, you mean the audio?

I'll do a screengrab of what I mean...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    The "juddering" is because the beats are not lined up. You've got to time it precisely on the downbeat of the bars. Regular audio editors do not interpret the beats, only the time.
    Depends on the editor/DAW. ProTools has worked with beats (in addition to all the other stuff) since ~c.1997.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM

This is a post-editing issue. It's edited, rendered fine. It's how it plays in media players…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0buC5j9B0ZI

And that's QT 7.7.4 and VLC 2.0.7. I've tried with QT 10.2 on my Mac and it's worse, it stutters + audio dip whereas 7.7.4 just dips the audio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Poor playback is usually an encoding issue.

@Scott - ProTools is definitely not a "regular audio editor".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    For the love of…

It's not a video problem, it's the way these programs work!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Playback issues has to do with the file, mostly. It's a throughput problem usually. Try coding to Mpeg2 10Mbps.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Seriously Bud? This is how it is with every video, it's not an encoding problem, it's how QuickTime and VLC handle repeating a video. There's a slight judder/pause/audio dip before the video restarts.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I guess I could try playing the audio separately in iTunes - press play on QuickTime and iTunes at the same time.

In the latest QT, it pauses *very briefly* and the audio pauses too, but if the audio was in iTunes there wouldn't be a pause, so the video pause wouldn't be quite as noticeable.

Trouble is, if you then play the clip say 10 times, by the 10th time all those brief pauses will have built up and the audio will gradually get more and more out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Playback issues has to do with the file, mostly. It's a throughput problem usually. Try coding to Mpeg2 10Mbps.
    I just tried that in the hopes that it would load the video quicker and avoid the pause, but it actually makes the pause longer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously Bud? This is how it is with every video, it's not an encoding problem, it's how QuickTime and VLC handle repeating a video. There's a slight judder/pause/audio dip before the video restarts.
    The way you say it sounded like it was during playback. It's hard to follow along with you sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    The way you say it sounded like it was during playback. It's hard to follow along with you sometimes.
    It is during playback. I've been saying that all along! But the problem isn't with the video, it's a problem inherent with QuickTime and VLC. They both pause before repeating the video.

Do you have QuickTime/VLC on your computer? Try loading a file and looping it and see what happens!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Most video players will give a slight pause when restarting the video. Don't ever count on continuous looping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have to find a way to disguise the pause. Maybe a particle wipe. I guess that kills the perpetual motion aspect though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try loading a file and looping it and see what happens!
    What you're talking about is not "during" playback, hahaha. It's before, or you can say after playback. Yeah, it's common knowledge that repeating(looping) media will have a "rewind pause".
    Last edited by budwzr; 5th May 2014 at 19:39.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    In-between playback then.

I'm gonna render a version where it repeats 5 times, and then loop that, and hope no-one is looking at the screen when it pauses!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I'm gonna render a version where it repeats 5 times, and then loop that, and hope no-one is looking at the screen when it pauses!
    Hahaha, I was scared to mention that. Odds are, no one will notice. In that case, don't do any fade. Just let it get over as fast as possible.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    You say common knowledge, but there are some players that don't have it… or at least there used to be cos I've done it before.

Do you know why the audio would pop at the start?

The version I uploaded to YouTube, when I tried repeating that, the audio joined up fine, but now I'm rendering it and it peaks ever so slightly at the start. Which is what I thought would happen to begin with, I guess I just got lucky and now it's playing up!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM

Hahaha, I was scared to mention that. Odds are, no one will notice. In that case, don't do any fade. Just let it get over as fast as possible.
    They might not notice the video, but the audio just skipping a beat will be really obvious.

Don't do any fade? Lol there's no way I would do a fade (you mean fade to black?), that would defeat the whole point of it being a continuous loop.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    Just about any time audio starts without fading in (or ends without fading out) you get a pop. It's from a discontinuity in the waveform. Starting (ending) at a zero crossing might help a little.

Click image for larger version

Name:	click.png
Views:	220
Size:	4.0 KB
ID:	24962

When the speaker goes from the rest state to the first sample of the audio (red arrow) there will be a click.

Also be aware that most high compression audio codecs add 5 to 50 milliseconds of silence at the start of the clip. Original WAV on top, after MP3 encoding on the bottom (~47 ms silence inserted by the MP3 encoder):

Name:	delay.png
Views:	93
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	24963

And many players, VLC for example, don't play the last few frames of the video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 5th May 2014 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Just about any time audio starts without fading in (or ends without fading out) you get a pop. It's from a discontinuity in the waveform.
    Hmm, I thought so, but earlier on it wasn't doing that. Playing tricks with me…

It fixes itself when just the music is a continuous track. Basically, at first I tested it to see if it would pop by copying all the audio tracks and video and placing them following the original tracks - simple copy and paste, see if it works. And it had the pop then, even though it was all un-rendered.

When I did this:

http://s21.postimg.org/q1a0o7glz/EXP.png

The pop went away, so I split it again, copied the latter part onto the beginning, and rendered it again, hoping the pop would have gone. But nope.

--

This is a render of two fully 1080 rendered clips side by side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqoz2R06aCI

It shouldn't even be skipping a frame like it seems to be, it wasn't doing that earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Just about any time audio starts without fading in (or ends without fading out) you get a pop. It's from a discontinuity in the waveform. Starting (ending) at a zero crossing might help a little.

[Attachment 24962 - Click to enlarge]

When the speaker goes from the rest state to the first sample of the audio (red arrow) there will be a click.

Also be aware that most high compression audio codecs add 5 to 50 milliseconds of silence at the start of the clip.
    Usually I would do that, but in the case of this video, there's continuous noise. I'm thinking about it, and I could find somewhere quieter to make the cut-off point, but still, there isn't really anywhere that would facilitate a complete fade out.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by PCC View Post
    This is a render of two fully 1080 rendered clips side by side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqoz2R06aCI

It shouldn't even be skipping a frame like it seems to be, it wasn't doing that earlier.
    There's a gap in the audio:

Name:	gap.png
Views:	100
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	24964

Starting (ending) at a zero crossing might help a little.
    Usually I would do that...
    Even when you start audio at a zero crossing you have a discontinuity, though not as severe:

Name:  discont.png
Views: 172
Size:  3.6 KB
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search PM
    That gap was created by the rendering then?

I'm rendering a 5x version at the moment, so there'll be 10 minutes before a pop/frame skip. It'll have to do I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Rendered that and it's put a single black frame at the start, the mind boggles at why Premiere can be so random!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Fade the audio head and tail. Just a smidge. And make sure the video starts at 0.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!