VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just joined this community and want to ask a quick question. Hope I can get help fast!

So I have a short movie project and in the ending , I want the final scene transition into credits to be done with a closing zipper , from below to above. Then the credits will come up
    How can I do this? I would be more than glad if anyone could assist me.

Thanks in advance! ^^
    Quote Quote  
  2. Some what like the attached file?
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  3. Buy a zipper transition video like:

http://www.revostock.com/Stock-Video-Footage/6271/Zipper-Transition-Unzip.htm

That one is the opposite of what you want but you could flip and reverse it.

Or shoot a black jacket with a zipper and a green piece of cardboard inside. Then "green-screen" the video onto your source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Here's an example using a screen capture of the above zipper transition video, reversed and flipped. I increased the contrast of the zipper video to eliminate the watermark. Then used it as an alpha mask to overlay a black video onto the color bars.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Did you want the actual zipper apparatus displayed (ie. pull tab with chain strip) ? , or just the effect without the zipper ? What is on either side of the zipper (ie. "the clothing" )? Is it "black"?

If you want the actual zipper overlaid, how do you plan to transition the zipper out ? You would need to transition the transition or how did you plan on "credits will come up" ? Come up from where ? Or are the credits part of the "clothing" outside of the zipper ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think a zipper "opening up" would "reveal" the background and credit roll better. But it would get more complicated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I think a zipper "opening up" would "reveal" the background and credit roll better.
    Yes, logistically that works better as a transition, because zipper apperatus can transition out . "Zipping up" or closing leaves the zipper apparatus on the screen

But it might make more sense intuitively that "zipping" close is more symbolically related to "closing" credits
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right-o Chap, but like you said earlier, how would credits on top of the zipper work? Maybe fade out? Then the credits.

Or maybe "push" the closed zipper up, with the credits trailing. I guess it depends on the quality of the zipper animation. If the zipper is cheezy, then the transition can be cheezy too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Right-o Chap, but like you said earlier, how would credits on top of the zipper work? Maybe fade out? Then the credits.

I guess you don't include the zipper, like in examples above

Zipping down with the apparatus doesn't work perfectly either for him, because how do you transition to that from the main feature ? Do you have a zipper in the middle of the screen during the main feature

Or maybe "push" the closed zipper up, with the credits trailing.
    But that's more like a standard transition. Then what's the purpose of the "zipper transition" ?

But keep the ideas coming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, the zipper would rise from the bottom like a rose blooming, except the "bloom" part would be transalpha. Oh, what a minute. Then it would be upside down, no?

But upside down would work too. I don't have time to futz with this now, but I'm putting that on my bucket list.

Another option is to forego the zipper, and create a particle animation to make the transition. A lot easier. Just blow some leaves across the screen as the scene changes. Better than a zipper. Cleaner.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the help guys I appreciate it. Let me open up what I want. The zipper will go to the top and stay up there . And meanwhile the credits will be rolling downwards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Look up a "Page Peel" transition and try to adapt that process to the zipper.

Edit: Make two page peels. Skin the peels with the zippers as a texture map.

http://files.videohelp.com/u/135518/Page%20Peel.mp4

Substitute a PNG zipper for the green layer.
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Apr 2014 at 15:22.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Something like this ?

It's done the way budwzr suggested, with a "page flip" on each half of the zipper chain . The zipper pull is then animated over it

If it's close to what you want , I can render out a version with alpha channel
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Something like this ?
    Wow! That's awesome. Nice!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Something like this ?
    Wow! That's awesome. Nice!

It was your idea

I still don't have a clear idea of what he wants. There are many variations on how this can play out

A zipper has many components , besides pull tab and chain strip . How much detail does he want ? Does he want a stop tab? How fast does he want it ? etc.. etc...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipper#Components

I personally wouldn't be comfortable leaving the chain strip on throughout the credits. Unless it fit the theme of the feature somehow (maybe it's a documentary on the fashion business...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks good PDR, what did you use to make it?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Looks good PDR, what did you use to make it?
    AE, but the principle is the same with any program as described by budwzr .

You could probably do it with any NLE that has a "page flip" transition. I think even avisynth with vc mohan's transall plugins might be able to do
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It was your idea
    But plumbing it out to fruition is king. You really did nice work on that. I tip my cap. Touche'.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Could you post the 3 png files you used? Left side, Right side and zipper pull in a zip file? I'd like to see it with some leather texture.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey "Peed", I like the motion blur, and the way you created the little nubs on the open zipper. You used a height bump map, right? To skin off the tops, yeah?

Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    Could you post the 3 png files you used? Left side, Right side and zipper pull in a zip file?
    It's actually just 2 files: zipper pull and one with a half open zip chain . I just re-arranged the "halves"

You can download many like them ( different styles, colors etc...) from google images

Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hey "Peed", I like the motion blur, and the way you created the little nubs on the open zipper. You used a height bump map, right? To skin off the tops, yeah?
    Nope, just simple straightforward animation. The "nubs" are part of the zipper chain image. The only thing "embellishmed" was the motion blur . You can tell as the "page" bends, that it's a flat 2d layer, not 3d with geometry . If you wanted to be fancy you could do it in a 3d program, with cloth simulation so the "halves" actually bend like fabric, have real textures
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, this whole display of compositing prowess has me wanting to whip up an ani-gif. To commemorate the occasion.

Seems like the Ope flew the coop.
    Last edited by budwzr; 30th Apr 2014 at 23:37.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something like this ?
    I love it! What software have you used for that?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by yagizaras View Post
    Something like this ?
    I love it! What software have you used for that?
    After Effects

Here is a version with alpha channel (transparency) , so you can use it in your editing software .

It uses lagarith for compression. In some software you might have to interpret the alpha channel
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Nice job Poison but I'm having one heck of a time trying to bring that into Sony Movie Studio. Is it because of the alpha channel?
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Nice job Poison but I'm having one heck of a time trying to bring that into Sony Movie Studio. Is it because of the alpha channel?
    Does it import at all, or are you just not "seeing" the transparency ?

1) Install lagarith

2) In Sony Vegas Pro (not sure if it's the same in Movie Studio) , right click the clip in the clip bin, properties, media tab, under "alpha channnel" set it to "straight" instead of "none" . "None" means vegas "thinks" the clip is RGB, not RGBA . The alpha channel is for transparency
    Quote Quote  
  27. Will not import. Can't right mouse either. Don't want to install yet another codec.

Clip plays fine using MPC-HC 64 but will not play in Windows Media Player.

I just want to try it in Movie Studio to slow the effect down then try to add some words. Very interesting effect but it looks like we lost the OP.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MovieStudioError.gif
Views:	327
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	24909  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    lagarith is available from this site and is safe/easy to install. click on the highlighted word to get to the download area.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  29. Are you saying you already installed it? If so , I'm not sure....maybe some system / codec issues ? Here is the same clip in Quicktime/MOV (PNG) for our Mac friends (lagarith isn't very Mac friendly without ffmpeg based solutions), and a PNG image sequence in the zip file which should work in any program and platform
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 2nd May 2014 at 17:20.
    Quote Quote  
  30. I did not install lagarith codec. The .mov version imports into movie studio.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!