VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Novice
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I have a small box full of 8MM VHS tapes spanning from 1997 to around 2008 and a few commercial VHS tapes from the 90s that I want to capture to my computer uncompressed and in the best quality possible. This is the first time I'm attempting something like this, besides the time I captured my miniDV tapes via FireWire on my old laptop with NeroVision Express 3 once, which I might have to do again sometime down the road. Anyways, here is what I have going for so far.

Source Equipment: A Sony HandyCam CCD-TRV45E for 8mm VHS capture (I believe my father purchased this overseas, but it works with everything that's NTSC, so I guess there are no problems there) and a Sharp VC-A410 4-Head VCR for commercial VHS capture (I have owned this since 2001 and it works perfectly fine for me. http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-VCA410U-VC-A410U-4-Head-VCR/dp/B00005T3NT).

Computer Specifications: Asus R500A-BB71 Laptop (http://www.microcenter.com/product/417698/R500A-BB71_156_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Mocha_Brown)

Intel Core i7-3610QM Processor 2.3GHz
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    750GB 5,400RPM Hard Drive
    2 USB 3.0 Ports, 2 USB 2.0 Ports
    Intel GMA HD
    DL DVDRW Drive/CD-RW Drive
    10/100/1000 Network
    802.11b/g/n Wireless
    Bluetooth 3.0
    15.6" HD Widescreen Display

Capture Card: Thanks to some of the forum members recommendations, I have settled on the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB Digital and Analog TV Tuner with Remote Control. I haven't purchased it yet, but if there are any better options available that are superior to this one, then I'll take those into consideration.

In addition to that, will I get any benefit or problems from plugging in a USB 2.0 capturing device into a USB 3.0 port?

TBC: I have no idea what I should look for when it comes to TBC devices. There are even some that are over $200. I primarily intend to use this for commercial VHS tapes, but will it help a lot with 8mm tapes as well? Which is the best one to buy exactly?

Software and Configuration Settings: Is VirtualDub the best software for capturing VHS and VHS 8mm uncompressed or are there better options? Also, what are the exact settings I should use to ensure that I get the best and uncompressed video quality possible. I don't understand how to do this, so it would be great if someone clearly listed the exact steps I should take to do this right. HDD space isn't an issue.

If there's anything that I'm missing from this list, please tell me. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are no better Windows capture devices for VHS than the ATI TV Wonder HD 600 USB that can work with a PC made in the last 6 years or so. There are 2 main problems with them. Problem #1 is that have not been made for about 5 years, which means they are not always readily available although they turn up frequently on ebay. Problem #2 is drivers. Only some of the Vista and Windows 7 drivers available for them work with Windows 7 and Windows 8.x. The VISTA® 32,VISTA® 64 VER 22 driver package dated 2008-08-05 (from Diamond Multimedia) worked for me using Windows 7 64-bit. The Windows 7 Version 7 Drivers dated 2010-05-28 (available from Diamond Multimedia) only appear to work for 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and 8.x.

There is nothing to be gained from plugging a USB 2.0 device into a USB 3.0 port.

I have never needed a full-frame TBC, but the AVT-8710 is the one most often recommended here, although apparently there are some quality control problems at the factory.

Virtualdub is great, although I don't use Virtualdub myself. That is primarily because most of the capture devices I purchased had some kind of issue with it, and I don't often capture analog tapes. Someone else will have to advise you on how to best use it. However, as I wrote before, do not bother capturing uncompressed video. Losslessly compressed video (HuffYUV or UT Video Codec) is easier to manage and you'll loose no quality. The advice I read here says always capture using YUY2 colorspace, and save as YUY2 (YUV 4:2:2) colorspace whenever possible.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!