VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've previously used Deshaker in Virtualdub with some field-blended videos using: bob() and srestore(23.976).
    However, using a smart deinterlacer and omitting "srestore" makes slightly better looking video. The problem is that video doesnt seem to be processed by Deshaker, whether I load the avs file in Vdub, or load a deinterlaced video file. Is the deinterlaced video not really progressive?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by spiritgumm View Post
    I've previously used Deshaker in Virtualdub with some field-blended videos using: bob() and srestore(23.976).
    However, using a smart deinterlacer and omitting "srestore" makes slightly better looking video. The problem is that video doesnt seem to be processed by Deshaker, whether I load the avs file in Vdub, or load a deinterlaced video file. Is the deinterlaced video not really progressive?
    I don't understand your last question - if it's deinterlaced, then it's progressive. That shouldn't affect deshaker (deshaker can be set to be ued on interlaced or progressive videos, although it works better on progressive)

Are you sure you've set it to the 2nd pass? Are you sure you re-ran the 1st pass ? Because omitting srestore will give you more frames (that won't match up with the framecount of the "srestored" version )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done a multitude of tests, including shutting down and restarting Vdub when I changed the script. As I said, it works with one type of video but not the other.
    I've read in older threads that Deshaker wouldnt work if yadif was used - I dont know if it was specific to yadif or interlaced video. But if you did use yadif or qtgmc, you needed to make sure to use double-framerate video. I tried that with the field-blended video but it didnt work either. I read in the Deshaker notes that you could use interlaced video, etc. but none of the recommendations worked (I assume because this isnt actually interlaced video).
    So maybe deinterlacing this field-blended video isnt progressive? Or deshaker doesnt like 29.97 fps?

A sample of the original video is in this old post. Sometimes the video drops a frame which is more noticeable with Bob/Srestore than when deinterlaced. I can live with the former but I'm curious why I cant get it working with the latter.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/327780-converting-60-unique-fields-ps?p=2042144&vie...=1#post2042144
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Deshaker works fine with bobbed/deinterlaced video (double rate or even same rate, if that's all you need). It doesn't really care much about the frame rate. It doesn't care at all what deinterlacer you used (though better deinterlacer = better quality output, as expected - despite what the Deshaker webpage says).

However, duplicate frames might upset Deshaker's motion smoothing algorithm. You might get duplicate (or near-duplicate) frames out of your process.

It sounds most likely that you're making some really obvious basic mistake that none of us can think of, because honestly, it does work!

Checking the output of the script, and then being 100% sure that you run both passes using that script, is where I'd start. Trim it down to 100 frames to save messing around for ages checking it.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    actually I checked with Gunnar, and we deduced Deshaker doesnt like blends, which is what is outputted when this video is deinterlaced.
    Depanstabilize will work with blends, and does a good job on a similar jittery video (deinterlaced to blends) from the same source. It just doesnt happen to work with this one. I thought Deshaker was just a Vdub plugin equivalent of depanstabilize but that's not the case.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Get rid of the blurred/duplicate frames before running Deshaker:

Code:
    Mpeg2Source("2.d2v") 
    Interleave(TFM(field=1),TFM(field=0)) # or QTGMC, Yadif(mode=1), etc.
    VInverse() # remove residual comb-like artifacts
    SRestore(23.976) # remove blended frames
    After that script and Deshaker I got the attached video.

You might also try using Stab() in the AviSynth script instead of Deshaker. It didn't work in the panning shot (I think because there weren't enough horizontal edges) but the still shot was quite stable. It may work with other parts of the video.
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: avi 2.avi (1.78 MB, 46 views)
    Last edited by jagabo; 23rd Apr 2014 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I should have specified that the reason deinterlacing looks slightly "better" than Bob/Srestore(23.976) is because it lessens the impact of the occasional dropped frame. The extra blends at 29.97 obfuscates it slightly, whereas at 23.976 it looks like a big jump. Overall, the latter probably looks better.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I was thinking it might be 25 fps. But I didn't see any big jumps at 23.976.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you may not notice it here until you "bob (or deinterlace).srestore (23.976)". When the woman approaches with the tray. Happens occasionally thruout.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, the source has duplicate frame and missing frames in that section. If there aren't too many you might be able to work around them with ReplaceFramesMC(). By the way, Stab() worked pretty well on that clip.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, Jagabo. This clip (accessory) follows the more jittery clip (2.avi) which you processed above. I think the "easiest" solution is to process the whole thing in Deshaker, check for problem scenes, process them separately and edit-in any improved scenes. It's a daunting project, which I never finished back in 2010.
    Quote Quote  
  12. See if you like this any better:

Yadif(Mode=1)#or QTGMC
    Srestore(Frate=29.97)
    Tdecimate(Mode=2,Cycle=15,CycleR=3,MaxNDL=5)

You might not like it better as some blends remain doing it this way, but there are fewer missing and duplicate frames. I think. As mentioned, there's still at least one missing frame right after the woman carrying the tea enters that might be bridged over with frame interpolation.

I think the "easiest" solution is to process the whole thing in Deshaker, check for problem scenes, process them separately and edit-in any improved scenes.
    Maybe easiest (although I don't think so myself) but you'll almost certainly find places later that should have been further processed. In similar situations I make a Lagarith AVI of the whole thing and open that in an AviSynth script in VDub and work my way through the whole movie looking for jerky playback that needs more attention.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When I originally decided to use Deshaker for this video, I first broke it into scenes (about 10-15 minutes each) as Lagarith avi. When I examined each chunk, I had to tweak Deshaker's 2 passes for so many various moments that it got out of hand. This time around, I'd like to lower my expectations.
    I tried Tdecimate but without specifying the cycle. I'll see how it looks.
    Last edited by spiritgumm; 23rd Apr 2014 at 19:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    See if you like this any better:

Yadif(Mode=1)#or QTGMC
    Srestore(Frate=29.97)
    Tdecimate(Mode=2,Cycle=15,CycleR=3,MaxNDL=5)
    pretty cool - worked well for that missing frame. But on another jittery clip it produced a few odd looking frames whereas Bob() frames looked normal thruout.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you deinterlacing?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!