VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Guys,

I am not a TOTAL noob .. but compared to the guys in this forum I am.

I have been slowly converting my blu ray library to files on my NAS(synology). I want streamable 1080p files of high quality. I have been using PAVTUBE for this until now.

QUESTION : is there a recipe for high quality rips anywhere ? I mean literal recipe ... such as

1. Do this with this program
    2. then do this
    3. your done =)

I just have a feeling the quality from pavtube is not optimal.

I just downloaded ANyDVD HD for the trial.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 12th Apr 2014 at 14:24. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD HD or DVDFab Ripper to strip the encryption from the discs (I personally prefer AnyDVD HD)

Use MakeMKV to convert the rip to a single MKV file (100% quality, zero loss, but huge file size)

Or, run through VidCoder as a GUI for HandBrake (but a lot easier to use) to reduce the filesize but manage to keep good quality. VidCoder is pretty much ready to run with defaults but can be tweaked all day to squeeze as much quality as you can out of the source. You can also get VidCoder to do all the hard work just by setting a maximum filesize

MediaCoder can also be used, and also use the GPU in some modes to speed things up. I also use VSO Video Converter as that fully supports GPU encoding, and some tweaks if you create your own custom projects

For simplicity, VidCoder is better than most at doing what it has to do without banging your head on the table trying to get the settings right

The only real cost is the disc encryption removal software. Both AnyDVD HD and DVDFab Ripper are 'technically' free but have various ways to convince you to buy it. AnyDVD has a constant nag everytime you want to use it, DVDFab only strips 'some' encryption methods. Normally it won't touch the ones that the majority of blu-rays use, so convincing you to buy it as its not much good for new discs
    Quote Quote  
  3. I assume I can strip the protection using my copy of Pavtube instead of AnyDVD. I just use the entire disk option ? I donwloaded Handbrake .. it crashes when I run it.
    Last edited by donotron; 13th Apr 2014 at 10:01.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by donotron View Post
    I assume I can strip the protection using my copy of Pavtube instead of AnyDVD.
    Who told you that?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Originally Posted by donotron View Post
    I assume I can strip the protection using my copy of Pavtube instead of AnyDVD.
    Who told you that?
    Ha ... I was just thinking that since I could rip Lossless copies with pavtube that I would be able to then compress with something else. I want to create teh smallest possible file with awesome video quality. All my HD .mp4s end up looking 'ok' at around 11 GIG.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!