VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all
    I hope you can help! I bought a DVD and want to copy it for safekeeping (backup). I have tried every program I can think of and nothing works:
    ABC DVD Copy Lite
    DVD Fab 8 Qt
    DVD Decrypter
    DVD Shrink
    ImgBurn
    CloneDVD2
    123 DVD Clone
    WinX DVD Ripper Platinum.

NONE of them work.......the programs are unable to read the file format of the original DVD – there are 795 files on the DVD in the Video_TS folder- This is an example of the Oversize protection, where the fake files are larger than they really are. So you can't directly copy them.....
    see below – I have missed out the majority of the files!

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/642/kWBd74TF.jpeg
    http://lookpic.com/O/i2/1764/RKIOrMN.jpeg

now this is what the average Video_TS folder looks like:

http://lookpic.com/O/i2/27/oFs9lDwm.jpeg

So has anyone seen this before?

Any ideas on how I can copy this DVD – remember I HAVE bought this and just want a backup!

Many thanks all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Latest anydvd?

And I'm moving you to our dvd ripping/backup section.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Evidently, this is a new release, with a newer form of copy protection. All you have to do is wait. AnyDVD will eventually come up with an update. Maybe even DVDFab -- if ever they get out from under the current persecution.

In the meantime, just avoid scratching or wrecking your new disc. You can do that, can't you?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is just another of the endless possible variants of the "bad sector copy protection" scheme. AnyDVD and FabDVD may be able to handle it. The general mechanism of how this kind of thing works is very well known, but the problem is that each individual variation requires new code to handle it. If your DVD is some Aussie only thing, then it's quite possible that the people behind DVDFab and AnyDVD have never seen it and thus don't have code specific to handle this variant. If you are a paid subscriber to AnyDVD or DVDFab, you can contact them about the disc and ask them what they can do to help you.

Please note that DVDFab is in a really strange state right now where they have moved their internet presence back to China because of a US lawsuit that they lost by failing to appear in court and nobody right now is really sure exactly what is going to happen to their decryption services. AnyDVD lost a roughly similar lawsuit in their home country of Antigua, but they are operating right now the same as always and there is some chance that ultimately the loss in court may have no impact on their business.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I smell some spam being cooked up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Do us a favor and do a quick size cross-check:
    1. Count up the filesizes of all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder, then...
    2. Do a size check on the disc.

Do they match?

If not and filesize sum is LARGER than the disc capacity, then for sure you have dummy/fake VOBs like jman98 was describing (valid exception being 3d blurays).
    Barring new decryptor implementations, it should still be possible to do a simple decryption pass to ISO and then do a clean, movie-only extraction from the iso, even using older apps.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. There's nothing new about this directory structure obfuscation. But the endless variations require updates to the ripping tools. DVDFab 8 is pretty old. Update to DVDFab 9. Careful though -- the latest versions may have removed the ability to decrypt DVDs. 9.1.3.3 still removes CSS and AACS encryption.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As examples: As I recall, 'Tin-Tin' was as disc in my computer less than 8.5 (dvd9), but opened & tagged files = 59+ gigs.
    It took anydvd a while to find right # TS, like a minute (or longer), be patient.

Downton Abbey season 4 was the same, 3 disks about 24 gigs each, took a while to find proper TS.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Many thanks for all the replies. This is a DVD of my daughters dance concert, which I wanted to copy for safekeeping. I have upgraded to anydvd 9, with the same result. I will look again. after work and see if I can get some screenshots of the error messages.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Try ImgBurn. Create an ISO image, then burn the ISO image.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Siggy169 View Post
    Many thanks for all the replies. This is a DVD of my daughters dance concert, which I wanted to copy for safekeeping. I have upgraded to anydvd 9, with the same result. I will look again. after work and see if I can get some screenshots of the error messages.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Should have mentioned that to begin with, but has happens all the time around here, you're yet another newbie who left out an absolutely critical piece of information in your post.

jagabo's suggestion is your only realistic hope.

This means that the people who made the DVD most likely made the DVD so that people like you would not be able to copy it for any reason and you'd have to buy another copy from them if you needed one. This kind of thing goes on all the time from people hired to film weddings and such. The people who make the film actually end up thinking that they own the rights to whatever they were paid to film. You might suggest to whoever makes the decision on hiring the people to film such things that they find someone else to use. In my opinion if someone feels the need to resort to this kind of thing then they shouldn't be hired to do the job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, that SHOULD be clearly spelled out in the contract prior to the event anyway. Whenever I do my freelance stuff, I have a "Work-for-Hire" template, as well as an "Artistic Contractor" template and a few others.

Everybody should know what they're giving/getting, and not be sideswiped by either incomplete legal terms of agreement nor technological obfuscations.

But back to the main topic: an individual or small-time production company is not going to have the resources to go to the lengths that Hollywood can go WRT the copyability of their titles. So this should be a straightforward extraction. Of course, it doesn't sound like the OP has yet tried either my or jagabo's suggestion (which BTW is the simplest and best answer to the original problem of needing to back up the source).

We'll see...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This means that the people who made the DVD most likely made the DVD so that people like you would not be able to copy it for any reason and you'd have to buy another copy from them if you needed one. This kind of thing goes on all the time from people hired to film weddings and such. The people who make the film actually end up thinking that they own the rights to whatever they were paid to film. You might suggest to whoever makes the decision on hiring the people to film such things that they find someone else to use. In my opinion if someone feels the need to resort to this kind of thing then they shouldn't be hired to do the job.
    As someone who pays my rent by helping people preserve and share their memories via film/video, you advice couldn't be more thoughtless and ridiculous!

I once was a sought after computer hacker who could crack all sorts of copy protection. Today I lose $$ that I need to pay bills by others who do what I once thought to be OK. My friend, it is *not* OK -- it is *not* cool -- to steal from people just because you can get away with it. If the professionals who produced video for their recital put some sort of copy deterrent on their discs, it was in hopes that parents would do the right thing by paying them for their hard work, instead of stealing from them by making copies.

When enough people make "illegal" copies of recital DVDs and other small-scale productions, they will force the professional company out of business as they aren't getting paid enough for their work to provide the level of quality and service that the performers deserve. And then, *everyone* loses, and families will end up getting crappy work.. until the next pro comes along only to realize his sales are bypassed by scmucks who think it's OK to steal.

Serously dude.. *not. cool.*
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by ruach View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    As someone who pays my rent by helping people preserve and share their memories via film/video, you advice couldn't be more thoughtless and ridiculous!

I once was a sought after computer hacker who could crack all sorts of copy protection. Today I lose $$ that I need to pay bills by others who do what I once thought to be OK. My friend, it is *not* OK -- it is *not* cool -- to steal from people just because you can get away with it. If the professionals who produced video for their recital put some sort of copy deterrent on their discs, it was in hopes that parents would do the right thing by paying them for their hard work, instead of stealing from them by making copies.

When enough people make "illegal" copies of recital DVDs and other small-scale productions, they will force the professional company out of business as they aren't getting paid enough for their work to provide the level of quality and service that the performers deserve. And then, *everyone* loses, and families will end up getting crappy work.. until the next pro comes along only to realize his sales are bypassed by scmucks who think it's OK to steal.

That's quite the over exaggeration. And who actually says they were once a "sought after computer hacker"?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by MindController View Post
    That's quite the over exaggeration.
    Which part do you feel was exaggerating?

I'm giving actual numbers -- this isn't made up. And it's a real problem when an individual thinks "oh -- my one copy won't make a difference." Multiply that attitude times 50 or 75 or 100 students who all think their "one copy" won't hurt anyone.

It does.

Originally Posted by MindController View Post
    And who actually says they were once a "sought after computer hacker"?
    I did. And I was. And now I'm all the wiser, trying to help others better understand the impact of their choices. I'm no moral saint, but significantly have felt the pain of people stealing out of my pocket by "just making one or two copies for friends." It adds up, and it is hurtful in a tangible way to the professional who gives his heart to create something special for others.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by ruach View Post
    I'm no moral saint, but significantly have felt the pain of people stealing out of my pocket by "just making one or two copies for friends."
    Where does he say that?
    Originally Posted by Siggy169 View Post
    I bought a DVD and want to copy it for safekeeping (backup).
    I think you're taking one and one and getting three. Maybe he really does want to pass around the copies, but there's no evidence to support your claim and you shouldn't make those accusations without any evidence at all. I find his stated reason perfectly plausible.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ohh.. I have no issue with the original poster of the question who may be legitimately making a backup for his family.

I quoted and had issue with JMAN who posted that he had a problem with the crew who produced the video because they put protection on it, and that the school ought to find a different videographer because of that.

That all said -- I'd venture to guess, that the "you can legally make one backup copy of your media for your own use" policy has almost NEVER been used just for backups, but rather to make copies for family and friends, or to use on more computers than the license technically would have allowed. Call me pessimistic if you want.. I rather think it's more realistic though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ruach View Post
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Another born again type, I once was a sinner but now....
    Quote Quote  
  19. If the DVD will play in a computer, you can use a screen capture software to copy it. Slight quality loss, but may be OK for your purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    If you know which xx_TS or xx_IFO is the one that applies to the needed vobset;
    rip to hdd with AnyDvd
    use avstodvd to author new dvd
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    Another born again type, I once was a sinner but now....
    You missed the part where I wrote "I'm no moral saint".

We make our choices. This one just hits close to home, because it's my livelihood -- my choice -- to make art and help people share their lives. And my family and I are personally hurt when others take $$ from my pocket.

It *is* stealing. Like stealing a running car because it's cheaper than taking a cab. I won't start listing tons of other ways people *could* steal. It affects me. It affects LOTS of people.

It's good to be aware.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ruach View Post
    I quoted and had issue with JMAN who posted that he had a problem with the crew who produced the video because they put protection on it, and that the school ought to find a different videographer because of that.

That all said -- I'd venture to guess, that the "you can legally make one backup copy of your media for your own use" policy has almost NEVER been used just for backups, but rather to make copies for family and friends, or to use on more computers than the license technically would have allowed. Call me pessimistic if you want.. I rather think it's more realistic though.
    We're allowed to have different opinions here. You don't like it? Fine.

Dude, your business model is BROKEN if you have to rely on sales of discs AFTER the job. And frankly too many videographers, like you, feel that they should be able to profit for the rest of their lives off one job. You guys get hired to film stuff for people because you are performing a one time service. You're not Stephen Spielberg. Copy protection is self defeating. If you have to have it to survive, your screwed. Charge more for the job. Sufficiently determined people can find ways around it. If some honest customer buys a DVD from you do you seriously believe that he should buy extra copies from you in the hopes that maybe one will survive the years rather than make a copy himself? Good luck with that. And you probably use whatever cheap piece of crap DVDs you can buy for the lowest price possible so your customers better make backups or they're going to be stuck with useless discs in a few years. Oh wait - they're supposed to come back to you between now and the end of time to buy more because your one time job should pay you for the rest of your life. Give me a break.

And I never advised people to "steal" as you insinuate. I took a shot at self-righteous videographers of which you are one.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Didn't miss it! From sought after hacker to I'm no moral saint but... Now an artist and this is stealing from him.
    Did you ever pay back all the $$ you stole by cracking encryption.
    There is such a thing as fair use. Do you give lifetime guarantees on the readability of your media?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, enough already! So many people here are taking a lot of crap out of context. Just give an honest answer and stop the fighting.
    This forum has a bad rep already in some circles. Leave the attitudes out and stick to the subject.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ruach View Post
    That all said -- I'd venture to guess, that the "you can legally make one backup copy of your media for your own use" policy has almost NEVER been used just for backups...
    And where's the evidence the video was copyrighted? And do the videographers even own the video, and not the people that commissioned them? You'd need the contract to find out. My educated guess is that legally he can copy it as much as he wants but the videographers are doing what they can to prevent it. I think you're jumping to conclusions based on nothing more than a guilty conscience.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As a videographer who creates media for clients (on DVD, BD, etc), I would suggest that there are better ways of making your money than to "copy protect" the work. I prefer to bill "up front" for the actual creative part, and then make sure when creating (fairly inexpensive) discs that the artwork & packaging is professional enough that people actually prefer to collect it that way rather than as a plain silver disc written with a Sharpie. That way, it doesn't affect my "livelihood". It's kind of the difference between "loss-leaders" and "value-added long-tail".

And again, I take issue with those who automatically consider work as copyrighted to them when they might often in essence be doing a "work for hire", which copyright should rightfully belong to the client. Even when there is professional technique & talent involved in the shooting & editing.

And regardless, technical obfuscation is a CHEAP SHOT, any way you look at it.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  27. Cornucopia -- well articulated. FWIW, I don't use copy protection on any of my media either -- always a way around it, sometimes causes playback issues and prevents ppl from making legitimate backups (or using for other personal wants). We have "minimum agreements" with our clients so we know we'll get paid a base amount for our time, but sometimes our clients end up having to pay out-of-pocket because of parents who decided to "just make copies for each other", and last year one panic'd school called two days before recital because she only sold *7* discs instead of her usual 60+. I refunded her non-refundable deposit so she wouldn't take the hit, and they didn't have a pro video of their show -- it sucked for everyone.

JMan -- you've got me all wrong, but since you seem intent on explaining how my business model works, I'll let it be. We're the good guys.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So when someone is "hired" (you) to video someones child's recital you feel "they" (you) have the right to copy protect it and charge them for every single extra copy they want.....

So then you must also be paying royalties to every other child or person that was filmed during this "job for hire" ?
    Whether it was a school recital, wedding, family gathering, etc.
    No ?
    I did not think so!!

You were hired to film an event and put it onto a dvd, period, your job is done, you were paid for said job and have no right to copy protect $H!T and charge for every other copy 5 years down the road!!
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    So when someone is "hired" (you) to video someones child's recital you feel "they" (you) have the right to copy protect it and charge them for every single extra copy they want.....

So then you must also be paying royalties to every other child or person that was filmed during this "job for hire" ?
    Whether it was a school recital, wedding, family gathering, etc.
    No ?
    I did not think so!!

You were hired to film an event and put it onto a dvd, period, your job is done, you were paid for said job and have no right to copy protect $H!T and charge for every other copy 5 years down the road!!
    Be careful what you say. We have an elite hacker in this thread. You could wake up tomorrow with no money in your bank account.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first post. I'm an old DVD-fanatic. I started with DVD's late '97 or beginning '98.

Let me start with saying that this particular copy protection is nifty, but, if you know the ins and outs of DVD-video, simple to beat.
    For testing purposing I always use MPC, the old version, because I want DVD-structure to be as correct as possible (compatible with old players).

First, all the correct videofiles must be identified, and I do this oldskool: ifoedit. Open VIDEO_TS.IFO then select 'DVD Play' (right bottom). Let it play the DVD, if it has a menu, go though the menu and be sure to select all video's submenu at least once (play for a second, then go back to the menu). If you have done so, exit the player. It will give you a popup with all the visited VTS_xx_x.VOB titles. Copy all the listed .vob's to a VIDEO_TS folder on your HDD, also copy all .ifo/.bup files to that folder.

If you now open the VIDEO_TS.IFO with MPC, it should play without problems, even though a lot of .vob's are missing. If you have DVDRemake Pro, it should be able to read the structure. It will show errors in the log, it will automatically make corrections. Use the export-function to create a valid DVD with corrected structure and .vob files. The result should also work in with conversionsoftware. If you don't have that program, you should either find something else or take a chance with the files without correction. Most computers shpuld just play them fine.

--
    Please don't nag me about legality, I was an early adopter, bought about 6000-7000 DVDs, started backing them up on DVDr and later HDD when I discovered malfunctioning DVDs in my collection (DVD-rot due to poor quality pressing...), some of those I bought for (US-import back in 1998) ridiculous amounts (like 90 USD in 1999)...
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!