VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone know of any media player for Linux/ubunto that can play an hevc x264 video? I like SMplayer and vlc, but neither will do it. Thanks.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  2. Both should if there are linked against a recent libav version.
    -> your media players are probably simply not up-to-date
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Both should if there are linked against a recent libav version.
    -> your media players are probably simply not up-to-date
    I already have the latest version of Libav-extra package installed. I also have the latest versions of Smplayer and vlc for my linux version (Mint 16). Both Smplayer and vlc carry thier own codecs anyway. Niether can play the hevc file.

The only program I have in linux that can play hevc file is ShotCut video editor. It can import, edit and play the hevc file in the monitor. Just curious if there is a stand alone media player for linux that can play hevc file?
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. you will probably have to build mplayer/vlc (and their dependencies) from the sources, I doubt the normal packages inside the standard repository are new enough to support hevc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I believe you are right. Thanks for your help.

That explains the error messsage i got with vlc:
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	vlc.png
Views:	10327
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	24204  

Quote Quote