VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    Just went and downloaded the latest AnyDVD. Haven't updated it in a while. I guess NOW is a good time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Deceased
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    This is where people are under a misapprehension: you don't own a DVD or Blu-ray. When you purchase them you only buy a license to view them in your own home, on an authorized (now Cinavia infected) player. Always check the small print. Format shifting (fair use, even backup) is moot since no-one is supposed to or is allowed to circumvent DRM. A license or waiver (permission) should be requested even for clips (to prevent the inevitable 'take down' notice).

From day one, the monopoly had a 'right' to take back 'their' property (revoking your license to view) by law.

You have the right to expect everyone to remain silent (while you watch the movie). That's about it. Enjoy the popcorn.
    That is the industry view, anyway.

I'm pretty sure that first sale rights (see UMG v. Augusto) apply to DVD/Blu-ray, and those rights depend upon ownership of the physical medium. Or else selling used discs would be illegal, and I don't believe that is the case.

Yes, they supply license agreements with the physical discs and player hardware, but as a practical matter separating viewing rights from the physical discs is not as clear cut as it is under licenses for content has no particular physical medium or other.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Will soon begin embedded in the eye micro explosives, which will react to the free video and explode in an eye (Edward Snowden secretly told)
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Just went and downloaded the latest AnyDVD. Haven't updated it in a while. I guess NOW is a good time.
    DVDFab is from Fengtao software, in China. Weren't they (country) a king of the IP scofflaws ? Outside the reach of anyone ? I get this tactic of legally attacking domains, and trying to gain a chokehold via means of banking / commerce. But if online gambling can survive, despite an all-out assault, why should this be any different ? There are domains that are out of reach by design, banks in the Caribbean and elsewhere that are happy to take anyone's business. They may be able to stop my Citibank cc from paying for said item, but there are many other ways to pay that circumvent such blocks.

Where is ANYDVD based ?

And here's another detail. I don't have much call for backing up movies. (What the legality of this may be, I could not care less. Not gonna be a factor. As with Cinavia, Big Content can go **** themselves, as far as I'm concerned.) And I don't have that much interest in Blu-Ray at all, which would include backing it up. Having said that, I've yet to find the first DVD that early 80xx ver. DVDFab could not handle. So this probably won't matter much to me.

I don't see this making that much of a difference. They killed off MegaUpload, Hotfile, and a number of others, yet the SCENE Releases sector has remained very much with us. Compressed xvid or MKV with various language subs, or HD to BR quality -- take your pick. (I'm not even talking about P2P.) The only limitations are available bandwidth and storage space. Whack-a-mole, indeed.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The judgement against DVDFab is passed from US Southern District Court of New York. The Court's jurisdiction comprises the following counties: New York (Manhattan), Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, and Sullivan.

Is this judgment equally applicable in State of Texas?
    Is this judgment equally applicable in different country China, Japan or Rhodesia other than US?
    -or-
    Does LA PEG LA need similar judgment in each different countries?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Okay, time to hold off on dvds, blu-rays, and cinema visits until we see how this plays out. Let the foot-shooting commence!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    The judgement against DVDFab is passed from US Southern District Court of New York. The Court's jurisdiction comprises the following counties: New York (Manhattan), Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess, and Sullivan.

Is this judgment equally applicable in State of Texas?
    Is this judgment equally applicable in different country China, Japan or Rhodesia other than US?
    -or-
    Does LA PEG LA need similar judgment in each different countries?
    it's a federal court order, it applies everywhere in the united states unless it's overturned by a higher court. the "jurisdiction" referred to applies to what cases they can hear or where they can draw a jury from; jurisdiction comes into play when filing a suit, if the defendant resides in a particular location or has a place of business or the like, then they can be sued in that particular court, but once an order is entered in federal court it is binding throughout the united states.

all of DVDFab's websites have been taken offline already and the domain names ownership transferred.

as for other countries, obviously a u.s. court's ruling would not stop DVDFab from opening up www.DVDFab.cn, which is exactly what it has done.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Of course, only the DNS lookup is blocked. They are still available by their IP address: http://70.38.71.25/
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    And this one is still up and has been since this article was posted,

http://en.dvdfab.jp/

Same site but obviously they still have a somewhat standard URL
    Quote Quote  
  10. it's a federal court order, it applies everywhere in the united states
    It's better that policies are just effective and limited to home-land only.
    LA PEG LA needs some global moves, They need some bigger broom and heavy bags!!!

Originally posted by jagabo
    ... this will just be a game of whack-a-mole.
    I like this game.
    Taking www.DVDFab.com down gave birth to www.DVDFab.cn and http://en.dvdfab.jp/
    Holly CoW!

just curious....
    When LA PEG LA gonna take www.DVDFab.cn and http://en.dvdfab.jp DoWN?
    May be LA PEG LA needs couple of pegs!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I am poor in maths.

If taking one down gives rise of two,
    How many will rise by taking two DoWN?

Quote Quote  
  12. In this game of whack-a-mole, judges are very happy to buy new house.
    I am happy that LA PEG LA is doing really something to get paid, at least they have family to feed!
    Last edited by enim; 11th Mar 2014 at 19:19.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @enim, I think you might need to get back on your meds: your posts really haven't been making much sense (particularly lately).

I find this latest move to be a "Check", if not a "Checkmate", in the constant cat & mouse with decrypters. And it has far-reaching consequences, because the use of software-based decrypters is the vast lion's share of the decrypters available. And they are the SOURCE for all the unencrypted shared file copies. HDMI hardware decrypters are barely available even when not being prosecuted. Screeners have their own technical problems (plenty!) and seem to be highly scrutinized, so are also not a major avenue of decryption.
    If they nail the last holes in this decryption coffin, I see the world going in one of 2 directions: either mainly online-streaming "rentals" or a big return to physical media (BD/DVD). Or both. And either is great for Big Media.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. @enim, I think you might need to get back on your meds: your posts really haven't been making much sense (particularly lately).
    Thanks for advice.
    For the first half of your advice I have already asked my best buddies O' mama to look for Chinese Surgeon, and Steev to look for Korean, if they can solve my problem.

your posts really haven't been making much sense
    Definitely yes, to some.

As I have nothing against you, rest is ignored.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    I find this latest move to be a "Check", if not a "Checkmate", in the constant cat & mouse with decrypters. And it has far-reaching consequences, because the use of software-based decrypters is the vast lion's share of the decrypters available. And they are the SOURCE for all the unencrypted shared file copies. HDMI hardware decrypters are barely available even when not being prosecuted. Screeners have their own technical problems (plenty!) and seem to be highly scrutinized, so are also not a major avenue of decryption.
    If they nail the last holes in this decryption coffin, I see the world going in one of 2 directions: either mainly online-streaming "rentals" or a big return to physical media (BD/DVD). Or both. And either is great for Big Media.
    I suppose we shall see if you are correct, but I'm thinking there must be more in the way of sources around (not including the wretched-quality crap, as from the Cammers) than what you've accounted for. If they manage to tighten the screws further, and the Scene releases diminish markedly, then I guess we've got our answer. In the meantime, more moles keep emerging that I never even heard of.

e.g., http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/12/popcorn-time-movies_n_4943351.html?ncid=txtln...usaolp00000592

And what's with all this TS format stuff that leaks out ? Isn't that indicative of very lax security (or outright hanky-panky) on the part of post-production and distribution entity personnel ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  16. New DVDFab address: http://www.dvdfab.cn

I see the "visit developer's site" link at the DVDFab page here has already been updated.

The lawsuit is not a checkmate or even a check. Just the loss of a pawn.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Mar 2014 at 19:00.
    Quote Quote  
  17. My question is: Can the big powers stop consumers from using credit/debit cards to buy DVDFab? If so, then how does one buy the product?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @enim, I think you might need to get back on your meds: your posts really haven't been making much sense (particularly lately).

Scott
    I agree. At worst, Big Media's revenues won't suffer appreciably, and at best, they will go up a bit. The boycott some members here propose to stage will make no appreciable dent in them. The percentage of people who buy and rip their discs is small, and not all will join in the protest. Loosing DVDFab and AnyDVD will make no difference to the majority of legal buyers, who were never interested in ripping their discs to begin with.

[Edit]Some people will probably record their movies using hardware and upload them to share, but I'm guessing those are not the most sought-after copies available for downloading.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Mar 2014 at 21:15.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Can the big powers stop consumers from using credit/debit cards to buy DVDFab?
    What's wrong with postal order, MoneyGram or Western Union.
    I order lots of accessories, they love payment by any of these coz they got money prior to shipment, plus it's a very small amount for me to take a risk so I really do not care, even if deal goes bad. So far none gone bad, in turn they developed trust worthy relation by now. They ship before I actually post postal order.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Cornucopia has seen two dimensions (legal) only so far, Seeker47 opened the 3rd one. And No one knows how many dimensions a sphere has! So far, three are known. While usually_quiet changed whole scenario. And, I fore see there is a very big change in the game is coming...
    Loosing DVDFab and AnyDVD will make no difference to the majority of legal buyers, who were never interested in ripping their discs to begin with.
    I really do not remember when I used AnyDVD or DVDFab last time, may be somewhere in 2010, plus I do not like wasting time on downloading low-quality stuff legally or illegally.

Promoting new encoders, decoders, and new hardwares sounds like a counter game to whack-a-mole to get control over with BiG B's monopoly. I would name this counter game as "Shooting into the Darks". They love to make us buy whatever ever they want to sell and agree to their whatever terms. Just avoid buying PANASONIC, SONY, and TOSHIBA products unless & until it is bare necessary.

When I spend money, It's my terms and my specifications.
    If they wanna really sell and get my money, I would say bend-over to my demands and specs.
    Deal is closed!
    Last edited by enim; 13th Mar 2014 at 01:21.
    Quote Quote  
  21. How about anydvd thats a dot.com
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  22. PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Some people will probably record their movies using hardware and upload them to share, but I'm guessing those are not the most sought-after copies available for downloading.
    Most illegal downloads are not straight rips but rather smaller, reencoded files. Since HDCP has been totally cracked it's now easy to access the uncompressed video stream from any HDMI connection -- essentially the same data you get when you decompress a disc in preparation for recompressing it. So this only makes it marginally more difficult for pirates. Instead of ripping a disc then running a conversion program like Handbrake, they can play the disc and capture the HDMI stream, either losslessly and then recompress, or using a hardware compression HDMI capture device.

I'm sure Intel, Sony et. al. are working on a new digital encryption scheme for the successor to HDMI -- and this new cable/connector will be required for the next generation (4K?) of discs. The game continues...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I'm sure Intel, Sony et. al. are working on a new digital encryption scheme for the successor to HDMI -- and this new cable/connector will be required for the next generation (4K?) of discs. The game continues...
    Yes. Display port is a possible candidate that already exists. It supports 4K resolution plus a different form of encryption for copy protection that is stronger than HDCP.
    Quote Quote  
  25. In September 2010, an HDCP master key that allows for the generation of valid device keys—rendering the key revocation feature of HDCP useless—was released to the public. Intel has confirmed that the crack is real, and believes the master key was reverse engineered rather than leaked.
    Four so far. And, all these four are not working!

When a salesman was discussing a protection schema for publishing a BD/DVD of a private show. Someone replied no matter how strong and big protection lock would, but there will be always a crack available today or tomorrow. It is just a Psychological False Assurance (PFA) that contents are copy protected. That is the main reason why many original content producer in eastern world decide not to go for any sort of protection scheme, and still they make more than enough by selling original disks. While western approach is completely based on security - the security that never works, but, just a matter of PFA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Proven myth : Where there is a information, there is a leak.
    Last edited by enim; 13th Mar 2014 at 09:25.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    Though most around here won't care, it seems another Chinese company is leaving the DVD and Blu-ray copying business: http://club.myce.com/f196/aiseesoft-no-longer-selling-dvd-blu-ray-programs-335648/

Haven't seen a confirmation yet from another source, but AGJ is a reliable poster at MyCE and Slysoft forums.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    My question is: Can the big powers stop consumers from using credit/debit cards to buy DVDFab? If so, then how does one buy the product?
    Bitcoins.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by enim View Post
    In September 2010, an HDCP master key that allows for the generation of valid device keys—rendering the key revocation feature of HDCP useless—was released to the public. Intel has confirmed that the crack is real, and believes the master key was reverse engineered rather than leaked.
    Four so far. And, all these four are not working!

When a salesman was discussing a protection schema for publishing a BD/DVD of a private show. Someone replied no matter how strong and big protection lock would, but there will be always a crack available today or tomorrow. It is just a Psychological False Assurance (PFA) that contents are copy protected. That is the main reason why many original content producer in eastern world decide not to go for any sort of protection scheme, and still they make more than enough by selling original disks. While western approach is completely based on security - the security that never works, but, just a matter of PFA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Proven myth : Where there is a information, there is a leak.
    Having stronger copy protection that is effective temporarily and only protects profits for a few years, is still better than nothing. ...and if breaking or getting around that copy protection turns out to be expensive or very time-consuming that will also be a deterrent for some. Both of those things are likely to apply to 4K video.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    My question is: Can the big powers stop consumers from using credit/debit cards to buy DVDFab?
    The USA can force American banks to stop dealing with DVDFab. DVDFab will find a way around that.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy View Post
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    My question is: Can the big powers stop consumers from using credit/debit cards to buy DVDFab? If so, then how does one buy the product?
    Bitcoins.
    This may be OT but anyone who still has bitcoins is frakking NUTS.
    Quote Quote