VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
    At present, I have zero interest in SRT subtitles. My mention of those more subtle issues with SRT conversions was just meant to be of academic interest. They are also trivial problems compared with the OCR difficulties I experienced with SRT creation. More importantly, using SRTs does nothing for me that is not done better by VOB conversions, which also take less time to create. Sticking with VOBs is therefore a no brainer, as far as I am concerned.
    All probably true for Bluray.... but DVD subtitles generally look pretty crappy, so converting them to SRT makes sense. IMO text subtitles generally look better than Bluray subtitles, but the mount of work required to convert them would be enough to put me off, given Bluray subtitles usually don't look too bad. For forced subtitles though, I still convert to srt for hard-coding, assuming there's not a lot of them. I just find the srt version easier to read.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Actually i never checked to see if my sony can play mkv with vobsubs and it can so I'm going to use idx/subs when i can instead of srt like you do,thanks for info.
    I'm glad to have been of assistance.

I only started the journey into computer-based audio and video less than a year ago and I have been taking my time to understand how best to achieve each part of the process. The devil is in the detail and I have had to deal with a LOT of detail to get things right. I would have been utterly lost without the help provided by a wide range of online forums such as this one.

My interest in classical music has generated quite a few difficulties to be overcome. First it was working out how to get audio metadata that meets the special needs of classical music and then it was grappling with subtitles, which are essential to understanding operas sung in a foreign language (my wife and I also watch a fair number of foreign language films with subtitles). All of this would have been much easier if I only listened to pop music and only watched mainstream movies.

David
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    All probably true for Bluray.... but DVD subtitles generally look pretty crappy, so converting them to SRT makes sense. IMO text subtitles generally look better than Bluray subtitles, but the mount of work required to convert them would be enough to put me off, given Bluray subtitles usually don't look too bad. For forced subtitles though, I still convert to srt for hard-coding, assuming there's not a lot of them. I just find the srt version easier to read.
    DVD subtitles seem to vary in quality. I never have a problem reading them but sometimes the text size is far too large for my taste. As you say, Blu-ray subtitles are much better. So far, I've been concentrating on Blu-ray rips and have only ripped a couple of DVDs. I have also chosen to replace several DVDs with the Blu-ray versions before ripping and that is likely to continue.

David
    Quote Quote  
  4. M2TS takes up more space. I don't see any reason to NOT use MKV. But I guess it all depends on your playback hardware.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Found that the idx/subs in 1280x720 and 1920x1080 mkv don't always work right,sometimes the subs come out as white shredded streaks for some speech,happens about 10% on 720p and 100% on 1080p on my sony bdp-s380.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As hogger129 said, much depends on the capability of your chosen playback hardware. My Oppo BDP-105 used to have a problem playing VOB/SUB subtitles when they had been created from the PGS/SUP files extracted from an MKV by MKVExtract. In this situation, the subtitle text characters were all green, instead of being white with black edges. The characters tended to merge together and gave a blurred effect that was difficult to read.

The temporary solution was to extract the .sup files from the original Blu-ray disks using a combination of AnyDVD and tsMuxeR. I then converted them to .idx and .sub files using BDSup2Sub, just as before. There was no obvious reason why this alternative process should make any difference but it fixed the problem with the Oppo.

A firmware update to the Oppo BDP-105 last November resolved this problem, so I have now reverted to using MKVExtract to obtain my .sup files.

My point here is that subtitles appear to be an area of some technical complexity and hardware manufacturers are still struggling to keep up with the rate of change in media file formats. Not all manufacturers issue firmware updates on as regular a basis as Oppo, so it is to be expected that hardware capabilities will vary widely.

David
    Quote Quote