VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Gave a shot to MakeMKV yesterday and it ripped all titles individually to mkv. The final size of mkv file was same as the title VOB size. There was no compression. I checked advanced settings but they were all command line settings and didn't get a clue.

Can anyone offer some pointers please?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Makemkv does not compress. It just rips and put the video in mkv.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    MakeMKV just changes the container from VOB (MPEG) to MKV. No real changes otherwise. If you want compression or a smaller file or other changes and a MKV output, you might try VidCoder. It's a front end for Handbrake and very easy to use.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Can you give some more information please?

Your source is VOB?

"Ripping" effectively means copying, not re-encoding.

What kind of mkv did you create that has "no compression"? What codec was used? Can your player handle MPEG2 in an mkv container? Why don't you just leave it as MPG?

MPEg2 is not "uncompressed". By "no compression" I assume you mean you have the same MPEG source, but in an mkv container.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:49.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks guys, I had no idea that it only changes the container.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, sometimes it's a 'good thing' to just change the container. Then you have the highest quality and very fast conversion into the format or container you want. But MKV, or really the H.264 codec is very efficient for compression and can retain a lot of quality with a much smaller size than most other codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Why re-encode, and why change containers? If it's not being re-encoded, why not leave it as MPG?

Re-encoding lossy MPEG2 to lossy h264 offers no advantage.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 04:49.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think just repackaging into a new container is such a bad idea either for a lot of people. Video encoding is actually pretty complicated. The bit rate or crf number is just the start. All those nice settings were not designed for the average user but for professionals.

Plus those nice settings usually take more encoding time. A lot more.

For people who are unwilling/unable to wrap themselves around all those parameters, or spend that much time encoding, it makes sense to me to buy more HD space and just rip.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you need smaller files, leave them be. However with Makemkv you can choose only the audio and subtitle streams you want to keep. This will reduce the file sizes a bit, but not significantly. For Blu Ray to MKV you can really reduce file sizes by ripping the lossy audio track instead of lossless if your goal is to play back on a non home theater audio system.
    Quote Quote