VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all.

Does anyone know if Digital8 tapes can be used in an analogue Video8 camcorder? I'm guessing they can as I think the media is the same for 8mm cameras but I'd like to know for sure.

The reason I ask is someone on ebay sold me a Video8 camcorder but described it as Video8 and Hi8. I took this to mean it was a Hi8 camera and now realise it's not. The seller is arguing that Hi8 tapes can be used in it, but that seems like a silly reason to list it as Hi8, seeing as the tapes are the same but the format is different. I wanted to use the example of Digital8 tapes also fitting the camcorder but that it would be daft to call it Digital8. Obviously I want to get my facts right first though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes it can "use" the same tape. BUT it can't record digital8 or play a digital8 tape. hi8 is analog and d8 is digital. not the same cam at all.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for replying. So could a Video8 camcorder record its usual analogue format onto a Digital8 tape?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the tape is the same for either cam. it's usually just called 8mm tape. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=8mm%20tape

there is no specific digital8 tape
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the info aedipuss - really appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As said, the D8 tapes are physically the same but those labelled as D8 are better grade. For example, Sony supply what appear to be 4 different grades, standard 8mm analogue, Hi-8, Hi-8 HMP (Metal Particle) and D8 tapes. The Hi-8 HMP and D8 tapes are the same with different labels (and price) so I always used the HMP tapes in a D8 camcorder. It wouldn't surprise me if the standard 8mm and Hi-8 tapes were the same either.
    Quote Quote