VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Based on some recommendations, I am switching from NERO to PLEX. It's also the recommended software for my TV (an LG 42LM6200)

When I look in the smartshare (LG's TV section for wifi streaming from PLEX) menu to connect to a PC, it shows that it is seeing PLEX on the network. However, when I look in the section for content (videos, pix, music) there is no content showing. I double checked PLEX and I put some sample music/vids/photos on the media manager.

Any thoughts why the content is not broadcasting to the TV? I have DLNA checked on. Any other settings I should double check? The weird thing here is that it IS recognizing the software per the one menu...just no content.

Only thing I can think of is that I set PLEX up just a few hours ago. It seems like it's always clocking even though it's scanned all the folders. Perhaps it takes some time the first time around???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of files are you streaming? Plex won't stream ISOs and chokes on some FLV and MP4 files depending on how they're encoded. BTW, I tried streaming VOBS directly and only the first VOB is available.

Loading the files is almost instantaneous to media manager, though large files (i.e. Blu-ray) may take a while. Still it shouldn't take hours to complete.

Do you see your files in the On Deck and/or Recently Added sections of the Dashboard. If you do, they should be ready to stream. Click on a file to make sure it plays on the internal player.

You might also check out the Plex forums for more detailed troubleshooting.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Are you naming them properly? They have some peculiar naming conventions I still haven't quite figured out. Anyway, try naming something like this:

MovieName-S01E01.mkv

Or whatever the right extension is. Then go into Plex on your computer and have it find your movies. I do it by double-clicking the Plex icon in the Sys Tray and hitting the 'Refresh Library' button (the circular arrow thing). It's done almost instantly. Afterwards you can check your library and anything named properly (tell me how to name movies correctly, when you find out) should show up. And when setting it up you told it where to look for all your video files, right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't used Plex in a while because honestly it was so fussy that in the end it became a lot simpler to just copy my files to a USB flash drive and physically connect them to a playback device than to beat on Plex all the freakin' time to get it to do what it's supposed to do. As the others have pointed out, it will refuse to play certain files. I was never really able to figure out why. As manono says it seems to need certain naming conventions and I also don't know what those are.

Anyway, your problem might be that stupid Plex reads its library once every 24 hours and you may need to manually force an update of reading the library. I have forgotten how to do that, but I remember that that what I had to do all the time with Plex to get it to play my files anytime I added anything new. It just was easier to just copy to USB and get on with my life than to force a re-read. Sometimes trying to make it re-read the library didn't work, but usually it did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. I will fool with the naming. I'll try some other things as well. Thx!

The connection to my network seems to keep opening and closing. Weird. I agree in my short time using it, it is VERY fussy. I was using NERO which seemed much better but not without its own issues.

I'll probably take some advice and look towards WDTV.
    Last edited by 123fish123; 21st Feb 2014 at 09:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have any other device (PC, tablet, phone) that you can try your Plex on? There may be something going on with your TV's connection. My Plex server can be seen by my TV, WDTV, Roku and Android tablets with no issue.
    Quote Quote