VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew why a typical 1080p video downloaded from Youtube is about 1 GB per 1 hour and a video capture using hauppauge hd pvr weighs in at about 4.5 GB per hour (13.5 mbps) The youtube video has no degradation and is absolutely crystal clear yet the file size is tiny. Can somebody explain this to me?

Is there a way to get a have a smaller sized video without picture degradation? I think 13.5 at variable bit rate is kind of excessive. Yet I don't want pixelation to appear in my HD video.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The hauppauge hd pvr realtime encoding isn't as good as software encoding.

Instead capture at highest possible quality and then shrink with megui.

But just 1gb/hour 1080p sounds a bit low...is it really 1080p?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by the Devil View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knew why a typical 1080p video downloaded from Youtube is about 1 GB per 1 hour and a video capture using hauppauge hd pvr weighs in at about 4.5 GB per hour (13.5 mbps)
    File size = bitrate * running time. If you want a smaller file use a lower bitrate.

Originally Posted by the Devil View Post
    The youtube video has no degradation and is absolutely crystal clear.
    No, if you had access to the source you'd see that the Youtube video is severely degraded.

Is there a way to get a have a smaller sized video without picture degradation? I think 13.5 at variable bit rate is kind of excessive. Yet I don't want pixelation to appear in my HD video.
    How low a bitrate you can use depends on the nature of the source. Noise and motion are killers of compression. So some video can be compressed more than others without losing too much quality. Consumer grade h.264 encoder chips aren't especially good. You can capture at the highest bitrate the capture device supports then use software to reduce the bitrate. That usually gets you better compression and image quality than capturing at that low bitrate, even though you go through two lossy compression cycles instead of only one.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The hauppauge hd pvr realtime encoding isn't as good as software encoding.

Instead capture at highest possible quality and then shrink with megui.

But just 1gb/hour 1080p sounds a bit low...is it really 1080p?

Yes, it is about 1gb 1080P. I think it was a breaking bad press conference on youtube.

What would you recommend for software encoding? Can you give me some example programs?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    [QUOTE=jagabo;2302728]

How low a bitrate you can use depends on the nature of the source. Noise and motion are killers of compression. So some video can be compressed more than others without losing too much quality. Consumer grade h.264 encoder chips aren't especially good. You can capture at the highest bitrate the capture device supports then use software to reduce the bitrate. That usually gets you better compression and image quality than capturing at that low bitrate, even though you go through two lossy compression cycles instead of only one.
    You are correct. I found that the more movement a video has the larger the video file will be. I learned that from recording videos on MTV. I am kind of thinking of giving up on PVR recordings. Its too much of a hassle. First it's the recording, then the burning. If I have to shrink it, that is more time spent.
    Quote Quote