VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. title pretty much says it all. i misplaced the remote, which i used to change the input when dubbing/recording my 2nd gen tapes. is there a way to do it on the front panel? thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use the channel up/down buttons on the flip down panel. The line inputs AV1 and AV2 are below channel 2.

The AG1980 uses the exact same IR frequencies as standard consumer Panasonic VCRs. There's no need to spend $50 for the ridiculous AG1980-specific remote: any $6 Panasonic VCR remote you see on eBay or at a flea market will operate all the AG1980 features except resetting the tape counter. You can always just eject and reload the tape to reset the counter to 00:00:00.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    You can always just eject and reload the tape to reset the counter to 00:00:00.
    Or just press the RESET button under the tape slot. The most common Panasonic remote seems to be the "light tower" design that came with late 90s consumer decks. It works with everything from a mid-80s linear stereo VHS deck to the AG-1980.
    Quote Quote  
  4. orsetto's suggestion worked. many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by NJRoadfan View Post
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    You can always just eject and reload the tape to reset the counter to 00:00:00.
    Or just press the RESET button under the tape slot.
    THAT is a useful piece of information!

I have a mix of AG1970, AG1980 and AG5710 vcrs. I tend to use the older AG1970 most often, and it does not have the reset button under the tape slot: so no way to reset the tape counter without the specific AG1970 or AG1980 remote, other than ejecting and reloading. Since I got the 1970 vcrs first, I've had the reset issue seared into my brain, so I must have been completely blinded to the reset button added with the 1980/5710. Amazing how the mind plays tricks like that: I guess because the panel design is so similar it was easy to overlook.

Never understood why the ONLY Panasonic VCR remote code thats different in the AG1970 & AG1980 is the counter reset button: every other function works with any random consumer remote. Other prosumer AG series like AG1300 and AG2500 use the counter reset code of the consumer remotes, but a proprietary group of timer/settings buttons not available on the consumer remotes. Spare AG remotes are scarce/expensive, and some that look alike don't have the same codes or hidden buttons. Glad I don't need to use these for recording/editing anymore: replacement remotes often cost as much or more than the VCRs did.
    Last edited by orsetto; 21st Feb 2014 at 13:21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My 1980's reset button is still useless since the LED display is burned out (which is normal on these units).

It's total irony that they add a reset button for the 1980's poorer display and omit one for the 1970's more reliable one. It's just as useful as adding better music features on a phone along with new audio chips that fail...
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yup, its always a battle with the AG-19xx VCRs, PuZLeR: if it isn't the video caps, its the PSU, if it isn't the PSU, its the display, if it isn't the display, its the jack panel, if it isn't the jack panel, its the loading slot... ugh.

The 1970 is the most reliable of the bunch by far, but they're getting really ancient now which puts them almost even with the later models for failure. My two best 1970s have begun losing their ability to retain clock settings for more than a day or so: not a good sign. Blinking "12:00AM" is a cliched joke on most VCRs, but on the AGs its a warning shot across the bow...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Orsetto.

I agree. The 1980 also has the uncanny ability to age you along with it.

Actually, my recently acquired 1970 is much more reliable, but I don't like the quality. But that's another thread.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote