VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there any way to play .pyv file on PC or convert it to other formats?
    I bought movies from Samsung mediahub and video files are in .pyv format. But I cant find any way to play it up on PC or either convert it.
    Its Microsoft PlayReady DRM protected video files and searching on the web. It says might can play it with Silverlight Media player and I cant seem to find there is any Silverlight mediaplayer?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Silverlight runs in the web browser... Go to Microsoft's site and install it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johndoh View Post
    Is there any way to play .pyv file on PC or convert it to other formats?
    I bought movies from Samsung mediahub and video files are in .pyv format. But I cant find any way to play it up on PC or either convert it.
    Its Microsoft PlayReady DRM protected video files and searching on the web. It says might can play it with Silverlight Media player and I cant seem to find there is any Silverlight mediaplayer?
    If PlayReady DRM has been broken, nobody has made it public, so no you can't convert your files. If I recall correctly, because of the DRM, purchased movies won't play on anything other than the compatible Samsung phones, tablets, or TVs registered to their owner's account.
    Quote Quote  
  4. http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=21772
    This is the PlayReady PC Runtime. Does it work? No-one seems to know! You just have to love Microsoft.
    Once installed try playing the file in Media Center.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I have already Silverlight installed, but dont know how to open pyv file and play it up in PC?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=21772
    This is the PlayReady PC Runtime. Does it work? No-one seems to know! You just have to love Microsoft.
    Already installed it too, but couldnt play it up with Microsoft Windows Media player. But havent tried with Media Center, since havent it installed, but doubt it will, since couldnt with WMC?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johndoh View Post
    Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I have already Silverlight installed, but dont know how to open pyv file and play it up in PC?

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=21772
    Already installed it too, but couldnt play it up with Microsoft Windows Media player. But havent tried with Media Center, since havent it installed, but doubt it will, since couldnt with WMC?
    I'm a long time Windows Media Center user and PlayReady won't work for playing encrypted files that were not recorded by the PC it is installed on.

You are wasting your time on this project. Your PYV files are DRM'd precisely to prevent them from being playable except on specific devices registered to your account.
    Quote Quote