VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    This is my first post. I have an yamaha YHT 299 home theatre system which is connected to my PC through optical cable. I am facing some problem with some multichannel wav audio file. These files are not smoothly played in media player classic. Here is the media info of the file and configuration of ffdshow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	902
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	23629

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled_1.png
Views:	537
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	23630

Here is recording file as a sample.

recording.mp3

Please guys help me out. I really dont know what to do.

Thanks in advance..
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Some threads must be validated until they appear. It's a spam control.

Have you tried use pass through with another software? I think vlc media player supports it too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for your reply.
    I try to play on vlc and windows media player also. It plays smooth but in stereo mode.
    i can't get the multichannel output
    Quote Quote  
  4. S/PDIF have very limited throughput - for normal implementation, maximal case is 48000 samples per second, 24 bits, 2 channels PCM (approx 2.197265625 Mbps)- all compressed audio need to fit inside this constrains, some S/PDIF hardware is capable to play faster bitstreams - perhaps up to overal 10 - 16 Mbps but over this it will not work at all.
    To transport multichannel PCM probably you must use HDMI interface. As an alternative some multichannel compressed audio codec is required on S/PDIF - most popular are AC-3 (Dolby Digital) and DTS, S/PDIF is however not limited to only this codecs and it should support all codecs described by IEC 61937 however IEC 61937 documentation is NOT available for free (in fact it is ridiculously expensive).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks Pandy. but i have vga and dvi port on my graphics card. So What do you suggest? buying sound card that can play faster bitstreams...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sloke123 View Post
    Thanks Pandy. but i have vga and dvi port on my graphics card. So What do you suggest? buying sound card that can play faster bitstreams...
    I recommends switch to HDMI if you insist to play PCM audio, also you can compressed multichannel audio to DTS or AC-3 and use S/PDIF. Faster S/PDIF (faster than 2.2Mbps) is not standard and it is up to devices to support such audio for example S/PDIF (at least theoretically) is not capable to support 96 or 192k sample rates - usually high speed S/PDIF is supported by high end audio equipment (stereo) perhaps also by some home cinema equipment.

Personally i would choose AC-3 compression on the fly as quality loss with 640kbps is usually not noticeable by average listener with common audio equipment in typical listening environment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry for my late reply Pandy,
    I will switch to HDMI. Can can you suggest me a graphics card that do my purpose?
    Quote Quote