VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I use Xmedia Recode(for fixing compatibility via A/V recode) and multiAVCHD for Blu-Ray Authoring as back ups. Also, ImgBurn for burning Blu-Ray video discs. Many a times there is considerable free space that gets wasted. Around 2gb and sometimes even 4gb.
    I would like to fill these spaces with my iTunes/ Netflix HD downloads.
    But, I do not wish to do any kind of Audio or Video re-encoding with these files to add them to the compilation.
    Rather, I would like to burn these files separately with my compilation as Digital Copies. I have heard of movie titles being released as Blu-Ray combo with Digital Copy.
    Is this even possible on a single disc without affecting Blu-Ray video playback? Or is it a long shot?

Please let me know my options. Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. You can put data files on a blu-ray video disc. Just put them outside the BDMV folder.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Yes. You can put data files on a blu-ray video disc. Just put them outside the BDMV folder.
    Thanks. I was aware of this.
    What I wanted to know whether standalone Blu-ray players will be able to show/play these non Blu-ray video files.
    My Sony Blu-ray player can play media files like mkv, mp4, avi, ts, m2ts etc. from usb drives and data discs like BD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW etc.
    Is it possible to make a part Blu-ray video and part data disc?

Is there a specific burning software and/or method?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't seen any special method for that. So it's probably up to each bluray player if you can browse for data files on a bluray video disc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. This is great. I only added the non Blu-Ray video file in an extra folder and the BD player menu showed the burned disc as 2 discs. One as a BD-R BDMV and the other a Data BD.
    I was able to play both without any issue. Wow!
    I hope this feature remains in future BD players.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As Baldrick said, this is totally dependent upon the capabilities of the firmware in the player.
    Also, most players that I've checked DO NOT support multi-session and/or multi-mode (if you were thinking of trying one of those burning options), and many players that I've checked follow a much more simplistic method of determining the playable format on the media. Some check media type first, some check application folder/file structure existence first. Many of those will pick the FIRST playable format, NOT list all available formats.

I'd say you just lucked out this time.

Scott
    Quote Quote