VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been trying to backup my DVDs and put them on an external drive rather than having to put each DVD into my Mac whenever I want to watch one. Usually I don't have a problem, but with one, I get an error trying to make an ISO using disk utility. I then tried Toast 11 to make a backup, and I got the same problem. It gave me an error code 36 which when I looked it up, someone said it's an OS related problem, not a problem with the disk. That makes some sense since it plays fine. But what I don't get is why it fails every time. So I was wondering if there was a way to decompose or convert the video in order to put on my external drive. I went with ISO since it would be an exact backup. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "Someone said it's an OS related problem, not a problem with the disk"? All error messages not generated by the app software are OS related. Where did you read such drivel? You need to start finding some better sources.

A quick Startpage search gave me:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2433

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1969888

Some disc copy protection schemes could easily lead the OS to think the media is corrupt if the program that's decrypting the disc doesn't understand the copy protection method used on that dvd.

Maybe you should try another program. I'm a linux user, not a mac user (though they're virtually the same OS under the desktop GUI) so I'm no expert there.

But I see there's a mac version of DVDFab HD Decrypter. It's just about the best program for ripping copy protected dvds and it's free.

If you want to encode the ripped video with dvdfab, that part is trial and frankly it's not as good as many free encoders. I'd suggest Handbrake. It'd definitely available for macs. it was originally written for them. I'd say it's the best encoder that doesn't totally require the user to be a video geek.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the info. If I have two copies of the same DVD, and it fails at different locations, e.g. one DVD 1, it fails at 45%, on DVD 2 it fails at 49%, is there a way using some other program to take the good parts of both DVDs?
    Quote Quote