VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all just made a username. I have searched high and low for info on this topic. I have a 52 inch Philips LCD TV that when I have my PS4 connected via HDMI I can chose from HDTV or PC Mode. I am interested in the picture quality as I have gone back and forth so much between the 2 I am not sure what the picture is even suppose to look like any more.

PC Mode seems to make everything alot less sharp but seems easier on the eyes and maybe textures don't pop as much.

HDTV Mode makes everything sharp and alot brighter.

I am just so confused on what the image should actually look like compared to what I think looks good. Any suggestions would be awesome!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The meaning of PC and HDTV modes differs from set to set. If you want to see the picture the way it's supposed to be seen use HD resolution and color test patterns to determine which to use, and calibrate the TV. For example:

http://www.belle-nuit.com/test-chart

On the other hand, if you just want a picture that you "like" use whatever you want.
    Last edited by jagabo; 4th Feb 2014 at 09:01.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I guess my main concern is am I actually losing any picture quality. My eyes are not the best so it's hard for me to tell. HDTV looks very bright but some text is hard to read and then on PC mode text is much easier to read but things are alot less sharp
    Quote Quote  
  4. In general, PC mode turns off overscan simulation (so you can see all of Window's Start bar, and full screen window title bars, and perfectly sharp text, for example) and most of the other artificial processing (contrast and saturation boost, noise reduction, etc.). HDTV mode turns on overscan simulation (this causes blurring of small text from a PC, and often hides the entire Windows Start bar) and enables all the "auto" controls like brightness, contrast, and saturation. Most people, seeing two TVs side by side, one properly calibrated, the other with pumped up contrast, brightness, saturation and sharpness, will pick the latter. Even though the former is correct.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am using a PlayStation 4 not a PC if that makes any difference with RGB set to FULL on the PS4
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DewBaah View Post
    I am using a PlayStation 4 not a PC if that makes any difference with RGB set to FULL on the PS4
    PC/PS4 doesn't make a difference.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I see. So can I assume if I am in PC mode I am getting the Raw unprocessed video in which the Developers intended it to look?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes always use pc mode. In pc mode your tv should act like regular lcd monitor.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I see. I think I will stick with PC mode for my games and then change when I watch a movie
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DewBaah View Post
    So can I assume if I am in PC mode I am getting the Raw unprocessed video in which the Developers intended it to look?
    You shouldn't assume anything. Verify.
    Quote Quote