VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have purchased several Region Free PAL-to-NTSC DVD players from DVDoverseas.com over the years and encounter the same problem:

They all work for a year or so, and then, during playback, the picture will suddenly go black. Usually I have to restart the machine multiple times, occasionally the picture will return and the sound will be absent--essentially a lot of time is wasted trying to get the picture back.

I usually purchase Pioneer or Panasonic players, my current is a Pioneer DV-6120AV and it's going through this problem. I work in the entertainment industry, and many times need quick access to a region-free player to view discs from overseas. It's frustrating when the equipment is unreliable.

I have swapped out cables, and used different HDMI inputs on the tv-- but the problem always returns. Should I be looking at a different vendor? I live in Los Angeles and it would be great to find someone local who sells these.

Any input is appreciated--thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you going into the player's menu and manually selecting NTSC as the output video format(converting PAL to NTSC)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Are you going into the player's menu and manually selecting NTSC as the output video format(converting PAL to NTSC)?
    Scrolling through the menus, I can find no options to manually select NTSC as the output, so the short answer is no, I'm not.
    Like the previous players I've had from this vendor, I believe (although I'm not 100% certain) they convert on the fly.

(As an aside, most of the discs I play on this machine come from the UK)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They may "convert on the fly", but the video output typically has to be configured to match your TV (ie: NTSC or PAL, 4:3 or 16:9, etc.)

Also, from reading a few reviews, it appears you have to select the region you want to play. At which point it will only play that region of disc.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote