VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was in my local computer store looking for a new pioneer bluray burner, didn't find any however I did find an Asus BW-16D1HT. It was listed for about $90 which is a good enough price as amazon is listing it for $100. The last asus optical drive I had was a DVD-RW some 10 years back and it died on me pretty fast if my memory serves me correct.

Does anyone know if asus makes good bluray burners? I am pretty sure its a rebadged drive. Looking for some insight if its a good enough buy for $90?

Here's a link to the drive:
    http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/BW16D1HT/
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sohaibrazzaq View Post
    I was in my local computer store looking for a new pioneer bluray burner, didn't find any however I did find an Asus BW-16D1HT. It was listed for about $90 which is a good enough price as amazon is listing it for $100. The last asus optical drive I had was a DVD-RW some 10 years back and it died on me pretty fast if my memory serves me correct.

Does anyone know if asus makes good bluray burners? I am pretty sure its a rebadged drive. Looking for some insight if its a good enough buy for $90?

Here's a link to the drive:
    http://www.asus.com/Optical_Drives/BW16D1HT/
    Last I heard, ASUS was using re-badged Lite-On drives for BD. Reviewers seem happier with Pioneer or LG BD drives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Buy it online if you want Pioneer. If you are one of those "must only buy from local store" people we get around here from time to time, then you take what you can get.

$75.99 from Newegg.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129075

If you feel some sort of personal attachment to the store that makes you compelled to pay a higher price than you need to then ask them if they can order one so you can overpay them for it. Or you can overpay for a lower quality drive and get the Asus now if you are so impatient that you can't wait on an order.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Buy it online if you want Pioneer. If you are one of those "must only buy from local store" people we get around here from time to time, then you take what you can get.

$75.99 from Newegg.

If you feel some sort of personal attachment to the store that makes you compelled to pay a higher price than you need to then ask them if they can order one so you can overpay them for it. Or you can overpay for a lower quality drive and get the Asus now if you are so impatient that you can't wait on an order.
    Unfortunately living in some 3rd world country in Asia we don't have the same luxury as you most American's/European ppl have. Firstly most of the big retailers won't even ship here and if they do then i have to pay an extra ~ $20-25 USD for shipping and wait upto a month for it to arrive, maybe even have to pay more if i want early and that's within 10days. And for some reason if I have to claim the warranty.... well you get the idea.
    In my past 10 years i have atleast used/owned 7 dvd-rw (Samsung/sony/lite-on/lg/asus) and i don't know if even one lasted more then 1.5 years, maybe i was unlucky or maybe they just aren't built to last. So my personal opinion is if it can last over a year and can burn verbatim media (the only media i ever use) fine during that period then its good enough for me.

I will try again today at more retailers to see if i can find an LG burner as they can be found here quite easily, i have never seen a pioneer drive in any of my local stores, atleast not a DVD/CD Writer/ROM. Bluray ROM/Writers are even more scarce as being less popular.
    Last edited by sohaibrazzaq; 28th Jan 2014 at 04:32.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

$75.99 from Newegg.

So Einstein continue blessing us with your infinite knowledge. I had no idea that a Pioneer BDR-209DBK SATA Blu-ray burner had M-Disc support. In fact I don't think even Pioneer knows this. You should let them know. Let them know that they also include burning software. Wow I should have bought a Pioneer BDR-209DBK and spend my life trying to burn a Blu-ray M-Disc. Also I must point out to my local NCIX store that their price matching(if it is in fact lower) is just an illusion and that they should talk to you for advice.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Nudebie View Post
    So Einstein continue blessing us with your infinite knowledge. I had no idea that a Pioneer BDR-209DBK SATA Blu-ray burner had M-Disc support. In fact I don't think even Pioneer knows this. You should let them know. Let them know that they also include burning software. Wow I should have bought a Pioneer BDR-209DBK and spend my life trying to burn a Blu-ray M-Disc. Also I must point out to my local NCIX store that their price matching(if it is in fact lower) is just an illusion and that they should talk to you for advice.
    WTF?!! Dude, did you post in the wrong thread or what? Where does this M-Disc reference come from? Oh never mind, I get it, you mean to say the Asus has M-Disc support and the Pioneer doesn't. I don't think the OP even cares about that like nobody cared when it was available in DVD format. I wouldn't be surprised if procuring that media while "living in some 3rd world country in Asia" is an even bigger hassle than finding a Pioneer burner.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

$75.99 from Newegg.
    Looks like that one's out of stock. Newer listing:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129076

The O.P. has a point about location. LG's BD burners are rated well (and they read DVD-ROM, too, used by many for temp storage instead of icky DVD-RW's). I've had LG DVD burners for 8 years, have their BD burner on 2 PC's for 4 years.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This thread is going on 11 months old. What kind of "genius" would dig it up to complain about another post in a thread? A troll perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Damn you're right again! I got to pay more attention to the bloody dates. If not a troll a shill trying to drum up interest in m-diskwiththethousandyearlifeproveninthelabbutnotinr eallifeasinwheredoyougetareaderathousandyearfromno w.
    Quote Quote