VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi All,

I recently purchased a book that came w/ an instructional DVD. The information contained on this DVD will be useful to me for many years to come, so I decided that it would be best to rip it, encode it, and store a copy on my HDD. The problem is, all of the tools I've used to encode it fail to do so properly. I've tried both VidCoder and Handbrake, as well as one other off-brand encoder, and they all have the same problem, which is, they don't encode all of the .vob files.

Since this is an instructional DVD, they seem to have put each individual instructional session in its own, self-contained .vob. In other words, it's not broken into .vob's the way a movie would be. On this DVD, there are 13 .vob's ranging from VTS_01_0.VOB to VTS_12_1.VOB. The smallest is the menu (~60MB), and the largest is ~620MB. I used DVD Decrypter to rip this DVD both in file and .iso format. I wasn't able to encode it in either form.

As I said earlier, the problem is the same in all of the encoders I'd used and that is, it only encodes the first two chapters. In fact, when the files/.iso are loaded into the encoder, it only sees the first two chapters. I even watched as Handbrake loaded all 12 (the 13th is the menu) files, and it still only reported two chapters.

After multiple attempts w/ multiple encoders, I thought that the easiest way might be to encode these files individually, then use a program to connect them, but didn't work, either. When I tried to load them into Handbrake, it wouldn't accept them, even the the first two .vob's that it had been able to encode.

I've tried following the guides on this site to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVDDecrypter development stopped 9 years ago.
    Use the free portion of DVDFabDecrypter instead.
    Quote Quote  
  3. My problem wasn't ripping the DVD. My problem was encoding it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. VOB2MPG. Then convert the MPG files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jmg999 View Post
    My problem wasn't ripping the DVD. My problem was encoding it.
    How do you know this for certain?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've used Vidcoder on quite a few episodic DVDs set up similarly with no problems. You have to select each 'Title' individually, then add them to the queue before encoding the batch. Vidcoder won't do that automatically.

Or, as mentioned, you can copy the whole DVD with VOB2MPG and then convert it, but it will be one large file with no breaks if that's what you want.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hech54, I was able to mount the .iso image, and play it w/out a problem, and I was able to play the the file rip by playing it in Media Player Classic. What you're saying is that DVD Decrypter would be ripping it in a way that would make VidCoder, Handbrake, and others have a problem reading it. Is there some new way of ripping DVDs that would allow these applications to encode this properly?

Redwudz, when you say to load them individually, how do you mean? When I selected the files to load, it would only allow me load the entire VIDEO_TS directory, or select one file at a time. When selecting one file at a time, it wouldn't encode at all, b/c, I'm assuming, it was missing the .ifo and .bup files.

I might try VOB2MPG. I'd actually like one file w/ no breaks. I don't really care about the chapters. I just want to be able to store a smaller copy on my HDD. Thank you for the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's possible (highly probable by the high VOB count) that it's just a badly authored disc. It sounds like someone made Titles when they should have used Chapters. You are correct in assuming that DVDDecrypter may NOT be the cause of the problem.
    VOB2MPEG should be able to fix this sort of problem.....DVDDecrypter can also do the what VOB2MPEG can do and give you one, giant VOB instead of 12....but in a roundabout sort of way.
    Quote Quote  
  9. To opening the DVD or ripped files with DVDShrink. You can use it's re-author mode to drag titles from the right pane to the left, then the backup function to save the re-authored version. You'll end up with a vob file, or set of vob files, per title. If DVDShrink can't open the ripped files or you can't encode them after DVDShrink has resaved them, something odd is happening.

If you try DVDShrink, go into it's settings and set the target output size to something large so DVDShrink won't try to re-encode anything. It's DVD5 by default. DVD9 or more should do.

If you want to encode the DVD according to chapters, and there's a single title with lots of chapters, you can drag the single title from the right pane to the left multiple times, and use the edit button above the left pane to set the start and end points. Once again, that's after opening the DVD/files and using DVDShrink's re-author mode.

I don't use Handbrake or Vidcoder so I've no idea how they open DVDs. Normally after re-authoring with DVDShrink I'd use a program to open and convert each set of vob files individually.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you for clarifying, hech54. I should state that I've ripped this multiple times both in file/.iso format, and I've run across the same problem each time I've tried to encode the .vob's. I'm currently using AutoGK to encode each .vob individually. I'll see how it turns out. I just found it odd that this problem kept occurring. I'd never run into this before, but I haven't encoded a DVD in probably 10 years.

I have a feeling that this was simply a low-budget authoring job. The book is more along the lines of an educational manual, and the DVD is simply a supplement to it. I don't imagine that they sank big bucks into its creation.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by jmg999 View Post
    I might try VOB2MPG. I'd actually like one file w/ no breaks.
    In IFO mode VOB2MPG may give you one big MPG file or several smaller MPG files. It depends on how the disc was authored.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jmg999 View Post
    I was able to mount the .iso image, and play it w/out a problem,
    Why not just leave it at that? How big is the iso?
    Quote Quote