VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using an 8mm camcorder, my brother inadvertently recorded family memories on 2 Hi8 tapes. When played back on the 8mm VCR, the tapes are very difficult to watch with a lot of black smeary-like distortions on the videos. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and if using a Hi8 camcorder to play the tapes, which is then connected to the Elgato Video capture, that I have used to download all of the 8mm tapes to my Mac Mini, would work? I would be willing to buy a Hi8 camcorder, but I want to make sure that the videos would be normal and actually work first. Thanks in advance for all help offered.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I believe tapes labelled Hi8 should work as well as tapes labelled Video8 to record on a Video8 machine.

I would suspect a faulty playback camcorder. Does the Video8 machine play back other tapes correctly?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, all of the other 52 8 MM tapes that were recorded on the 8 MM Camcorder, are OK and do not have the black smeary images. Just the 2 Hi 8 tapes are very distorted. I just thought if I could put the Hi 8 tapes in a Hi 8 camcorder, the difference may just be the tracking of the tapes. Since Hi 8 camcorders are a lot less expensive than the Hi 8 VCR's, that is why I was thinking about going that route. I use Elgato video capture connected to my computer via USB and the 8 mm VCR and regular VCR using S-video and RCA cables. I like Elgato a lot, because it's fairly simple and does a good job. I just hope that if I get a Hi 8 camcorder that it has the RCA or S-video connections or even better, both.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would think most will have both RCA and s-video. At least Sonys and Sanyos that I have seen, do.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a Hi-8 camera for 12 years or so, and yes it has a S-Video out but also a Firewire out which is what I use to connect to my computer. Don't know if you have that option on what you use or not, but your software should be able to recognize the camera once the tape is loaded and you're ready to capture the video feed.

If you'd like, instead of the investment of a camera, i'd be willing to convert for you, your call of course.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was wondering, what you would charge to convert 2 Hi8 tapes that were accidentally recorded on an 8MM camcorder. The tapes are both very distorted when played back on an 8MM VCR. I'm not even sure if they will play back any better on an Hi8 Camcorder. Tape 1 = 2 hours and 11 minutes and Tape 2 = 2 hours and 2 minutes. Please reply via my email: bensmanrj@yahoo.com. Hopefully you are able to see a 5 second video of what I tried to upload.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  7. Your sample shows artifacts typical of a Hi8 recording played back on a Video8 player. Is this tape the original or a dub? If it's a dub the errors may be baked-in. If it's the original, try playing it back on a Hi8 or digital8 camera/deck.

edit: What it does not show is the head switching normally visible in video8 or Hi8 -- how much has this material been processed?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't give any model #s, so it's not very clear. Hi8 tapes don't automatically enable Hi8 recording on standard Video8 camcorders: they don't know how to record any other way than standard Video8. So, if he truly DOES have a Video8 camcorder, what you have on the Hi8 tapes is Video8 material that is corrupted somehow.
    If, OTOH, your brother ACTUALLY has a Hi8 camcorder that he normally uses just Video8 tapes in (which, in those cases would always record as standard Video8), but this time used Hi8 tapes, well then those recordings would actually be true Hi8 recordings (which WOULD ONLY play correctly in Hi8 or digital8 machines).

A Hi8 or Digital8 camcorder or deck should not have a problem with these as long as they weren't recorded in a corrupted manner.

BTW, "TRACKING" is NOT going to have any influence in this regard: The whole Video8, Hi8, Digital8 line used AutoTracking. IOW, there is NO manual control adjustment - it is supposed to properly adjust itself. If your tracking is truly skewed so far that AutoTracking cannot fix it, there is NO DECK ON EARTH that would fix it.

However, I'm not convinced this is a tracking problem. Similar things have occurred with S-VHS tapes when attempting to play back in standard VHS decks. The luminance signal is of a higher bandwidth, and so contains a higher overall power output, and overloads the playback amps causing black and/or white streaks.

You could always rent a deck from a production/rental company. Or take your tape to them and have them do a test playback (for a small fee).

Scott
    Quote Quote