VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do i add subtitles with FFMPEG?Can someone show me a command to put it in?
    i dont know where to place the subtitle part at .Thank you

"C:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe" -i "c:\ffmpeg\Ghost .mkv" -c:v copy -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k "c:\ffmpeg\Ghost.mp4"

-vf "ass=subtitle.ass" <- where do i put this command at?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/How%20to%20burn%20subtitles%20into%20the%20video <- this is the first link I came across googling topic's title.

But method in the link didn't work for me (I had tried it before), I think some sort of configuration needs to be done but I didn't bother since Mencoder works perfectly fine for me.
    Last edited by ozok; 13th Jan 2014 at 19:11. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by PolarWindzTranscode View Post
    -c:v copy

I don't use ffmpeg for subs, but I'm certain -c:v copy won't work for hardsubbing , you need to re-encode
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank You. I shall try your(both of you) suggestions
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by PolarWindzTranscode View Post

I don't use ffmpeg for subs, but I'm certain -c:v copy won't work for hardsubbing , you need to re-encode
    For hard coded (i.e. integral part of video) not but as a subtitle stream side to audio and video should works nicely.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by PolarWindzTranscode View Post

For hard coded (i.e. integral part of video) not but as a subtitle stream side to audio and video should works nicely.

libass is for hardsubbing

soft subs would use -scodec copy , or I guess it's -c copy (simliarly to how -vcodec copy is now -c:v copy)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    libass is for hardsubbing

soft subs would use -scodec copy , or I guess it's -c copy (simliarly to how -vcodec copy is now -c:v copy)
    I think this one can help https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/FFMPEG_An_Intermediate_Guide/subtitle_options - as overall - it was not so clear to me what are the intention of the topic author and thus as an informative remark - there are other ways to add subtitles than hard-coding (with necessary in this case video re-encoding) - i mean i didn't criticized You - poisondeathray but just mention other solution - perhaps more convenient for topic author.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think this one can help https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/FFMPEG_An_Intermediate_Guide/subtitle_options -
    That is so confusing to use . But thank you for your input
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by PolarWindzTranscode View Post
    I think this one can help https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/FFMPEG_An_Intermediate_Guide/subtitle_options -
    That is so confusing to use . But thank you for your input
    Confusing is that IMHO ffmpeg developers changing syntax for ffmpeg to frequently and together with poor documentation you are forced to dig directly inside ffmpeg code but overall idea is simple.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Little late with this thread but after trying to add subtitles with FFMpeg and failing, old methods of entry and new methods of entry, I discovered that if you use the standby version from 2013-01-10. the old method works fine ... and easier:

ffmpeg -i "C:\PAth\Video.mp4" -vf "ass=../../../../../../../../Users/Bud/Desktop/xxUntitled.ass" ouput2.mp4

The ../../ are old 'Go back a directory level' entries and makes sure the working directory backs up to the c:\ directory without actually listing it. Notice the slashes are not normal directory slashes and need to be replaced.

Just thought I'd mention in case someone stumbles on this thread.

CORRECTION:
    You don't need the ../../ method if you escape each special charsacter.
    ffmpeg -i "C:\PAth\Video.mp4" -vf "ass='C\:\\users\\bud\\desktop\\xxUntitled.ass'" "c:\path\ouput2.mp4"

Notice there are double quotes around the entire filter (.ass to .ass) and single quotes around the subtitle string.
    Last edited by Budman1; 5th Oct 2014 at 15:16. Reason: Correction to workaround
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you
    I have moved on to using MeGui for subtitle transcoding
    Thanks for your input. But I will use your info to help me if I need it
    Quote Quote