VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've got IT MIGHT GET LOUD on bluray and love it - mostly for THE EDGE for U2.

I just finished watching FROM THE SKY DOWN about U2. It's great to see these personal moments of groups you grew up listening to and admiring.

I regularly watch stuff on the History Channel. Not just Pawn Stars or American Pickers but things like Modern Marvels and other science shows. I stay away from the swamp buggy stuff or whatever those other reality based stuff are.

I also like Mythbusters which isn't a true documentary but is more "educational" that most other shows. Okay it's got its gross-out moments and totally insane parts to it but that makes it "entertainment" instead of just pure science.

So do you like watching documentaries and stuff like that?

No need to mention specific stuff that might get overly political. Generic statements are good for this purpose.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have a bunch of documentaries. I enjoy the travel ones also. And I watch most of the extras that come with a BD, even the directors comments when I have the time. I think it's fascinating how they put together a movie.

I don't have many political documentaries. The world is depressing enough without going into the details. I have a documentary somewhere in my videos that is a history of the internet and it's very interesting how companies like Google and Amazon were created.

I also have Amazon prime and watch it mostly for shows like 'Pawn Stars' and a few others. I don't have cable TV, so those are about the only 'TV' like videos I watch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    And I watch most of the extras that come with a BD, even the directors comments when I have the time. I think it's fascinating how they put together a movie.
    Same here.

Only thing is I don't generally like the super short 5 to 10 min featurettes. Those are usually so watered down as to not be worth it. They are usually the ones with the actors and directors saying how great everybody was to work with and bla bla bla.

I do admit to not always getting to all of the commentaries but it is fun.

@redwudz - have you seen that show on the story of pixar? If you watched one on the internet you'll probably like the pixar one.

Also there was an updated one on ILM narrated by tom cruise if memory serves. It was recent enough to feature ironman and transformers so it has to be at least after 2007 or so. Can't remember the name of it but it was a modern update.

Another one you might like is the Keanu Reeves doc SIDE BY SIDE. It's on the transition from film to digital in the movie industry. It actually has interviews with many of the top directors and producers.

Some things to look for if you want different docs.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think I've seen most all the documentaries you mentioned. Most were through Netflix, so no copies. Most of my other ones are older and collected some time ago.

A few favorites:

Discovery Channel - True Story of the Internet.
    The Origins of Film
    BBC - The Cosmos
    Elegant Unverse
    Long Way Round (Motorcycle tour from England to Mongolia)
    Greg Grainger videos (If you like travel videos. His are about the best, IMO. 'Across Russia' is one of my favorites.
    Most any train video, especially steam trains.
    Some magic videos. Wish I could do some of those tricks.
    Quote Quote