VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

So I don't understand the technical aspects to this but after shrinking my dvd using Dvd Shrink, I shrink it further to an mp4 file using WinX Dvd Ripper, However this takes a day or more to complete!

My reasons for converting it is so that I can play it on a samsung tablet, as well as it being less space consuming as they come out as a 1gb file.

Just asking if there are any good quality and easy to use programs that will convert faster?

Thankyou!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by misstimtam View Post
    ...but after shrinking my dvd using Dvd Shrink, I shrink it further to an mp4 file using WinX Dvd Ripper,
    You could skip the DVD Shrink step and use the original decrypted DVD as your source. You didn't mention your settings, but if running 2 passes you could make a CRF 1-pass encode for ... say ... CRF 18. Nearly half the time. And don't use WinX, which is crap.

There are lots of programs available for making MP4s from DVD sources. I use XviD4PSP but others have other favorites.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by misstimtam View Post
    ...but after shrinking my dvd using Dvd Shrink, I shrink it further to an mp4 file using WinX Dvd Ripper,
    You could skip the DVD Shrink step and use the original decrypted DVD as your source. You didn't mention your settings, but if running 2 passes you could make a CRF 1-pass encode for ... say ... CRF 18. Nearly half the time. And don't use WinX, which is crap.

There are lots of programs available for making MP4s from DVD sources. I use XviD4PSP but others have other favorites.
    Yes I understand that you can skip the dvd shrink step, but when you have a few dvds to shrink that have to be returned the next day, I do this so that I have it first and then can continue. And I just use the automatic settings, so have no idea what you are talking about there! haha I am happy with the quality of it though whens its done, just the time it takes to do it is bad! thanks for the suggestion, will have a look.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Yes I understand that you can skip the dvd shrink step, but when you have a few dvds to shrink that have to be returned the next day, I do this so that I have it first and then can continue. And I just use the automatic settings, so have no idea what you are talking about there! haha I am happy with the quality of it though whens its done, just the time it takes to do it is bad! thanks for the suggestion, will have a look.
    DVDShrink is outdated. It's current primary use is to take a RIPped DVD and shrink it to fit on a single layer DVD. DVDShrink can't RIP current DVD's unless you are using another app with it. And even then, the "shrink" process is not needed. So there is likely a misunderstanding of the process or terms used.

What you are performing only requires two steps: 1) RIP the DVD 2) convert to mp4

You can RIP with a program such DVDFab (which also has a conversion tool, although I've not used it).

Then convert to mp4 with the program of your choice.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter View Post

DVDShrink is outdated. It's current primary use is to take a RIPped DVD and shrink it to fit on a single layer DVD. DVDShrink can't RIP current DVD's unless you are using another app with it. And even then, the "shrink" process is not needed. So there is likely a misunderstanding of the process or terms used.

What you are performing only requires two steps: 1) RIP the DVD 2) convert to mp4

You can RIP with a program such DVDFab (which also has a conversion tool, although I've not used it).

Then convert to mp4 with the program of your choice.
    My problem is not with dvd shrink, that program works fine and shrinks all current dvd's, excluding disney dvd's, my problem is finding a prgram to convert it to mp4 quickly, I have tried dvd fab, it is just as slow.
    What I am doing only takes 2 steps too, just want a faster way to convert to mp4
    Please read properly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    If you use DVDShrink to rip, you really shouldn't use it to compress anything. It is possible to rip with it and apply no compression. You are degrading the quality of the video considerably otherwise, even before you convert to mp4, which is another lossy conversion.

Use a better decrypter. DVDShrink will not handle anything, and I mean ANY dvd with advanced protection.

Here is one way of doing it if you prefer not to use DVDFab. Decrypt and rip to an mkv using MakeMKV. This will do the main movie only, but will NOT compress/degrade anything. Then use Handbrake or Vidcoder to convert this mkv to mp4 in the manner that manono suggested in the second post of this thread. Do a one pass encode in Vidcoder, using the Android Tablet preset, change to Constant Framerate, and CRF 18-20.
    Quote Quote