VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

One of my friend has some old miniDV tapes recorded with a JVC camera. His camera si broken (in fact is even worse, from time to time works). Anyway I tried to copy the tapes with my camera a Sony one. Everything looks ok (video & sound) except the record date/time which is not available on the PC file.

Any suggestion?

Best regards!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "Just another sheep boy, duck call, swan
    song, idiot son of donkey kong - Julian Cope"
    Quote Quote  
  3. So what is the issue here? Is it that -

a) You can't view the recorded date and time when playing back the transferred video

Or

b) That the videos have no recorded date and time info attached to them

If the problem is A (not actually a problem) then you can use Enosoft Enhanced DV Decoder to display file information when playing back the video. Once installed you just enable/disable this option as you like.

If the problem is B - then DVdate is the best solution here. I ran into the same problem in the past, one of my DV camcorders simply didn't pass through a datestamp that any software could recognise, and nothing I tried would extract it - other than DVdate which to my surprise extracted it all. You can use it to split a video according to datestamp and have the files labeled at the recorded date and time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you do a direct copy with FireWire, which should retain the data, or did you use some other method?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

thanks for your answers. So:

1) I used firewire connection and movie maker from W7.
    2) On movie maker I chose the option to save in directory/filename based on date/time taken. During the copy process the file is copied in the current date/time, but at the end the application change the name. In this case the folder and file is with the current date/time
    3) I've tried DVDate and DV Sub Maker but the output file has 0 size

I've teste with 3 tapes until now 2 in SP and 1 in LP. For the one in LP I have the date/time. Maybe it is a setting in the JVC camera to record with timestamp or maybe when my friend recorded the tape he forgot to set date/time.

UPDATE: I just copied another SP tape but this time with date/time.
    Last edited by iradu; 12th Jan 2014 at 06:08.
    Quote Quote