VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok after I updated to win 8.1 it goaded me into using my hotmail email for a login without me realizing what I was doing at the time.

Before with regular win8 I just booted up my computer and got going. Now it is asking me for my hotmail password.

I don't want a login on this computer. How do I deselect the login option in win 8.1?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think "Accounts" -> "Your account" -> Disconnect may allow you to do what you want. After that, you'll need to enter your password, add the local account details (username rather than email address and so forth.).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I think "Accounts" -> "Your account" -> Disconnect may allow you to do what you want. After that, you'll need to enter your password, add the local account details (username rather than email address and so forth.).
    Thanks.

I'm in the control panel and I'm at the credential manager. In the generic credentials it has the option of removing my microsoft account setup.

That sounds like what I want to do.

However would that lock me out of the computer? I don't want to do any permanent damage.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To get into "Accounts" click "Settings" charm on the Charms Panel, then click "Change PC settings at the bottom of the settings panel, and finally click "Accounts" on the left side of the screen.

I followed the instructions to delete the MS Account and set up a local account. I did not get locked out. I also took the opportunity to remove the need to login after waking the PC from sleep after setting up a local account.

[Edit] I didn't have time to check what happens using credential manager as I was about to start recording something with WMC.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 11th Jan 2014 at 00:14.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To get into "Accounts" click "Settings" charm on the Charms Panel, then click "Change PC settings at the bottom of the settings panel, and finally click "Accounts" on the left side of the screen.

I followed the instructions to delete the MS Account and set up a local account. I did not get locked out. I also took the opportunity to remove the need to login after waking the PC from sleep after setting up a local account.

[Edit] I didn't have time to check what happens using credential manager as I was about to start recording something with WMC.
    Thanks. I'll try that this weekend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

This worked perfectly!

Thank you.

I can now boot straight into metro - or whatever the new ui is supposed to be called, forgot again.

It only takes me one click of the DESKTOP link to get me into the ye olde windows mode without the tiles.

I am a happy camper again.

(edit I did NOT use the credential manager, I just did the local account thing you mentioned, worked perfectly)
    Quote Quote  
  7. It sounds like you might be even happier if you didn't have to click to get to the Desktop:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    It sounds like you might be even happier if you didn't have to click to get to the Desktop:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2043243/how-to-boot-to-desktop-mode-in-windows-8-1.html
    Thanks. I'm glad it's a built I. Option now.

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    It sounds like you might be even happier if you didn't have to click to get to the Desktop:

Thanks. I'm glad it's a built in. Option now.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

This is PERFECT! Thanks. I just tried it.

It's like i have win 7 again. (ok win 7 for a first time since I've only used win7 in an office environment, not at home)

I noticed too in the navigation pane you have the option of disabling the side "charms" as well.

Basically you can get rid of win 8 entirely. Not bad.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by yoda313; 24th Jan 2014 at 20:23.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I'm 'retro' also. I added Start8 to get back the original start menu with W8 and still use it with W8.1. I don't think I've used any of those 'metro' improvements yet.
    And I turned off the 'charms' or whatever they are called, along with turning off my touch pad on my laptop.
    I'm still stuck with IE's 'tabbed browsing', but can't have everything.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I'm still stuck with IE's 'tabbed browsing', but can't have everything.
    You don't mean you're using IE do you? Do mean the actual windows when you browse the files on your computer? Those little icons that kind of evolved from the drop down menus (in other words the file, view, etc drop downs)

Is that it?

And also about disabling your touchpad - I take it this is more of a desktop replacement than a true portable for you right? I mean I thought a touchpad was virtually required for a laptop if you are on the go with it. But if its stationary most of the time I see no reason not to use a mouse full time.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Using IE 11. Tabs can no longer be disabled. I don't like tabs. I also turn back on the Menu bar that IE doesn't think we need any more.

I use a small radio mouse with my laptop, but I rarely use the PC for portable purposes. I have a XP Netbook and a 7" Android based pad for that.
    I turned off my laptop touchpad as it interferes with typing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Found this tip on dealing with frozen apps, thought might be useful.
    Quote Quote