VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded and installed the latest update to Super. I guess as you all know that update can't be installed without accepting the garbage that goes along with it. Well as soon as it installed I uninstalled all the garbage, but I my harddrive now runs constantly. I tried to roll back to an earlier time but the computer won't let me. Each time it says the roll back failed. I am afraid to leave the computer on for long because I'm afraid the harddrive will wear out from all that activity. I checked task manager and CPU usage and Memory use and all seems normal.

Do Not use Super! This software supports malware and is not to be trusted any longer!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could try the free revo uninstaller
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ressource Manager should show which process accesses the hdd
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Well I've looked at the RM, but it's all Greek to me. Their are lots of services and I don't know what they do. If I just blunder along and stop them I risk crashing my computer. Which ones might be the culprit?Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you think you have some PUP, or malware running on your PC, try malwarebytes and see if it can clean it up.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/
    Quote Quote  
  6. Open up the Resource Manager and switch to the 'Disk'-tab, since you want to know about disk access.

There you see:
    a. Processes with Disk Activity -> general info which processes write/read how much
    b. Disk Activity -> detailed info which process accesses which files
    => this should allow you to identify the process which accesses the hdd do much that you fear it will wear out the hdd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is with a lot of 'free' software now is that they also almost insist on installing loads of other 'junk' that most of us won't use/need. The installers also make it appear that you MUST install this crapware to install the main 'free' software

I found that if you click 'cancel' on the installer that most of the time all you are cancelling is the installation of the crapoware its trying to install and doesn't cancel the main installer. Also, make sure to read every step of the installers. The installation of junkware should be optional. If its being forced on you complain to the software authors or don't use their software anymore
    Quote Quote  
  8. The installation of junkware should be optional.
    and not the default setting,...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which is what most installers use, unfortunately,and the user then MUST deselect to install the crapoware (son in effect it is optional they are just assuming you want to install it. The option is there its just not unselected as default)

The problem is the vast majority of users installing software simply just click 'next' and then complain when it all goes wrong and search bars and 'helpful' software has been installed for them

Have a look at SmartToolBarRemover or Emsisoft Emergency Kit. The 2nd one is 100% FREE and 'might' help in removing software that is considered more malware than helpful

http://www.emsisoft.de/en/software/eek/

Also, I now use Total Uninstall over Revo Uninstaller. Its a bit slower, but more accurate than Revo Uninstaller at removing or finding problem installers. I used Revo Uninstaller for quite a bit but eventually got fed up with it freezing or struggling to uninstall software

http://www.martau.com/
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    The problem with any of these free fixits, registry cleaners and the like is they are NOT free. The Free versions will supposedly tell you if there are problems(and for some reason these are in the thousands!) but they won't fix anything. You have to purchase the "pro"version for that. However, I am desperate, and if the free versions don't fix it I will just have to trash the computer and watch television(shudder!), I guess.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have a look at CCleaner. Widely used by many, and also has an uninstaller. Plus capable of removing unwanted crapoware by other 'free' software

CCleaner IS 100% free, this is the portable version. It will install on a USB stick and happily run from anywhere you dump it

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/portable

Run the software, the choose 'tools' icon on the left. Very safe registry scanner. I've been using it literally years without any issues with things being corrupted. Unlike other registry scanners that see it as a free for all to remove anything it assumes shouldn't be there and causing me more headaches than when I started

I've noticed recently while searching for software that a LOT of 'free' software or software home pages are being redirected via other download sites making it look like your are downloading via the home page but in fact downloading via their own downloader. which is then trying to install yet more crapoware in the guise of the official installer. The main page for the 'correct' website for the software is then 2 or 3 links down from the first one you choose

I've almost been caught out by this a few times, when the download didn't look right in asking to install a 'free' downloader first. And these are not virual sites or scam sites, but very popular download sites that have been around years and I assume are now trying to get more 'hits' to pay the bills
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    steptoe: I'm with you on that one! there is one site called soft tonic to stay away from! they add all kinds of tool bars to the the original software. I had used Super for years without any problems, but their latest really took me in! Never again! If I ever get this computer fixed, I will spread the word and I hope others will too. I know it cost to maintain a website and it's a lot of work to continue an improve software. That's what ads on your site are for.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    steptoe: Ok, I have used malwarebytes and CC cleaner and the hard drive is still clicking when nothing is happening. Just about one click every few seconds. Is that alright or should it be absolutely quite?Thanks,
    Paul
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When you say 'clicking' if its a definite 'click' you can hear quite easily then it may be suggesting hardware related. A hard drive 'clicking' is a suggestion that its on its way out and its might last 12 months or longer or it might last 1 week

If your system is quite old, or the hard drive is more than about 5 years old, I'd suggest replacing it with a new one. You'll notice a big speed increase as well compared to hard drives from 5 years ago. I have one to replace when I have time, simply because its just to damn slow for what I use it for now, and also means I can swap it for a 2/3TB with 64MB cache instead of 'just' 500GB and 8MB cache

As one last try, run this. Its 100% FREE again, and can be run very easily from a USB stick as well. In fact, its designed to be run from a USB stick. I've suggested it to people at work who tried everything and it got rid of malware/adware and other annoying thing sthat were popping up windows everywhere making using the computer hopeless. Plus I told them to try and stop going on 'dubious' websites for films/photos as they are loaded with hidden 'extras'

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, Emsisoft was one you suggested earlier an one of the one I used. I think I can live with it now. It's funny Microsoft says registry cleaners are unnecessary and will slow down or even cause your computer to crash! I guess they are just trying to aid the computer industry, because I know now they certainly do work, at least the ones you recommended did. I now do a registry check with cc cleaner every time I uninstall a program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I actually paid for a registered copy of Total Uninstall Pro as it does exactly what CCleaner does after an uninstall, and also scans for any dead registry/files related to what you have just uninstalled. So they should be nothing left behind .... unlike the Microsoft uninstaller

Its slow and scanning initially but I asume thats just down to tracking all files associated to it, even running other registry utisl after Total Uninstall shows pretty much nothing was left behind

A lot of the problems are also caused by inefficient uninstallers that only uninstall what they installed, not all the junk that gets left behind like temp files or registry keys
    Quote Quote  
  17. I try to avoid software which require installers in preference to software you can just download, unzip and run. There's a "portable" version of Video To Video Converter and for "convert anything to anything" type software, I much prefer it to Super anyway.

I recall one particular installer being "sneaky" in that it asked to also install "software A" (ie a toolbar or something similar) and when I elected not to, a few steps later on in the install routine it tried again wanting to install "software B". I can't remember which program it was but I almost clicked through the second "offer". And some of them make it appear as though you can't deselect an option when in fact you can, or it's checked so faintly it appears to be deselected by default..... I go with "portable versions" of software as much as I can.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    But whats to prevent the installer from just installing the trash anyway. I had one that did. It asked if it could install the Yahoo Search bar and i pressed "decline". It installed it anyway. If you have ever had Yahoo Search Bar installed, you know how hard it is to get rid of. It shows up in the "Programs and Features" and it says it's uninstalled, but it isn't. I eventually had to go in and delete some registry keys to get it off. Let the downloader beware! is my motto. I don't know why I slipped up on Super. I had gotten to trust it, I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I got rid of "Super" yonks ago. A horrid, horrid piece of junk.
    Quote Quote