VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have some VHS that were transferred from PAL to NTSC and when captured they look a little choppy. I'm assuming they need to be converted back to PAL to get rid of this choppy effect? Also, the picture looks a bit squished in NTSC but my capture card will only let me capture at 720x480. I'm fairly familiar with avisynth and virtualdub. Any feedback would be much appreciated. I can provide a sample if needed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a direct stream sample would help.

Also, just to clarify, were these PAL VHS captured as NTSC or PAL VHS captured as PAL and then converted to NTSC ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    Also, the picture looks a bit squished in NTSC but my capture card will only let me capture at 720x480.
    NTSC captures are usually done at 720x480. Setting the video's display aspect ratio to 4:3 or setting your player's aspect ratio to 4:3 will normally un-squish the video. Some containers (AVI) do not support a DAR and you will need to set the DAR somewhere in the video itself or rely on the player.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You won't get rid of the choppiness.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Look forward to the sample, I also have a tape I want to capture (if I can ever find it!) produced under similar
    circumstances. Recorded in England, , PAL VHS > NTSC VHS conversion done here in the USA. I often wondered if the
    original frames could be recovered.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davexnet View Post
    I often wondered if the original frames could be recovered.
    Most times, yes. They're usually just hard telecined to NTSC. It's usually a simple matter to remove the telecine. The same should also be true of Cherbette's tape. But you never know until you see it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It was recorded from a PAL broadcast onto PAL VHS and then transferred to NTSC VHS. Here is the sample:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?9cqaaox294l063s
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What is:
    Codec ID : ULY0
    ?
    Quote Quote  
  9. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What is:
    ?
    UT Video, color space = YUV 4:2:0
    Quote Quote  
  10. It's as I thought, but the fields don't realign properly with a field matcher so to return it to PAL framerate I used:

Yadif(Order=1,Mode=1)#or the better QTGMC
    SRestore()

It's 4:3. Geez, but what a nasty looking video.

Just out of curiosity, how did you 'transfer' it to NTSC? And why not send it to the computer as PAL to begin with?
    Last edited by manono; 9th Jan 2014 at 01:24.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    What is:
    ?
    UT Video, color space = YUV 4:2:0
    Yes
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    It's as I thought, but the fields don't realign properly with a field matcher so to return it to PAL framerate I used:

Yadif(Order=1,Mode=1)#or the better QTGMC
    SRestore()

It's 4:3. Geez, but what a nasty looking video.

Just out of curiosity, how did you 'transfer' it to NTSC? And why not send it to the computer as PAL to begin with?
    I did not transfer it. Someone else did. So its probably a couple generations...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cherbette View Post
    It was recorded from a PAL broadcast onto PAL VHS and then transferred to NTSC VHS. Here is the sample:
    https://www.mediafire.com/?9cqaaox294l063s
    Brother, I'm with manono. Looks horrible. Like anime with hyperactive maggots.

Is this nightmare some sort of computer-generated effect? Serious question. Maybe this was picked up by one of those big dish transmission gizmos out in the Yucca Flats that scour the universe for signals from life on other planets. One could probably calm it down and get PAL from it, but what remains would be the zombie version of whatever the original might have been.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:30.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Is it really that bad?? lol
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't sure if the various efforts to recreate a PAL frame rate was supposed to produce 25 fps progressive,
    but playing around with it, that's what I ended up with. Here's my attempt with a little noise reduction.

It's pretty bad, but I've seen worse!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are a couple of versions of this on the internet. Google video search for cher it's a man's world commercial. Amazingly, they are even worse than this sample.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yikes! At least Cher's lips are actually red in one of them, instead of brown. With some of those posts, I'm surprised Cher didn't sue. At least davexnet's post is more decipherable than some of the others and doesn't try to harm your monitor.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:30.
    Quote Quote  
  18. It does look much better. Less choppy. I think my source is the highest quality I've seen sadly.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Ok so how should I crop/addborders to this clip for 720x576. This part becomes confusing for me because it was capture as 720x480 and has borders already.

Here is what I have so far:
    AviSource("C:\Users\User\Documents\iamwsnipped.avi ")
    QTGMC(last)
    SRestore(last, frate=25)
    ChromaShift(last, 0,0,0, -8, 0, 0,0)
    MergeChroma(last,McTemporalDenoise(last, settings="medium", edgeclean=true, ecrad=3, stabilize=true, maxr=2, interlaced=false))
    MergeLuma(last,McTemporalDenoise(last, settings="very low", edgeclean=true, ecrad=3, stabilize=true, maxr=2, interlaced=false))
    Tweak(0, 1.7, -14, 1.2, false)
    BlankClip(last, length=20) + FadeIn0(5)
    Blankclip(last, length=20) + FadeOut0(5)
    #Histogram("levels")
    ConvertToRGB32("rec601", interlaced=false)
    Crop(10,54,-10,-40)
    AddBorders(10,47,10,47)
    Last edited by Cherbette; 10th Jan 2014 at 11:12.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try AVStoDVD, which calculates the borders for you. If you load the test clip I did earlier, it gives this for
    a 16x9 DVD:
    Video = Video.AddBorders(0,4,0,6)
    Video = Video.Spline64Resize(720,576)

If yo want a non-anamorphic DVD, it's
    Video = Video.AddBorders(0,70,0,72)
    Video = Video.Spline64Resize(720,576)
    Quote Quote