VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I have recorded several HD tv programs via OTA to my pc. I would now like to create a blu-ray dvd of these recordings to watch on my hd tv. I have a Samsung external blu ray writer/player. Cyberlink software came with the unit. Now all I need is someone to guide me through the process. Do I need to convert the programing on my pc prior to starting the burning process? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Baldrick; 6th Jan 2014 at 16:14.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Post the details from your hd tv files. Use mediainfo, view->text.

And I changed the thread title.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most likely your Blu-ray player won't play the native recording files from your tuner+dvr software. For example, I use Windows 7 Media Center, which records 1080p hdtv streams as *.wtv files. These are not playable by my (nor most) blu-ray players. So I use MCBuddy to re-package the files to the *.mkv container. Usually I also re-encode the files with a x.264 codec, which reduces disc space. Most (not all) blu-ray players can read these files (AVC video in an MKV container) and play them back.HTH...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
    I have recorded several HD tv programs via OTA to my pc. I would now like to create a blu-ray dvd of these recordings to watch on my hd tv. I have a Samsung external blu ray writer/player. Cyberlink software came with the unit. Now all I need is someone to guide me through the process. Do I need to convert the programing on my pc prior to starting the burning process? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    The answer depends on the nature of the recordings, which is why Baldric asked for a MediaInfo report, but it also depends on the Blu-Ray player you have. Many (but not all) recent Blu-Ray players can play some types of media files from a DVD or Blu-Ray disc. If so, you may not need to author a Blu-Ray disc. You may only need to move your recordings into a container that the Blu-Ray player recognizes, and burn a data disc containing the new files using ImgBurn.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by rowkc View Post
    Most likely your Blu-ray player won't play the native recording files from your tuner+dvr software. For example, I use Windows 7 Media Center, which records 1080p hdtv streams as *.wtv files. These are not playable by my (nor most) blu-ray players. So I use MCBuddy to re-package the files to the *.mkv container. Usually I also re-encode the files with a x.264 codec, which reduces disc space. Most (not all) blu-ray players can read these files (AVC video in an MKV container) and play them back.HTH...
    I also have Windows 7 pc with media center installed.
    Is there a simple way to determine the "native recording files"?
    Is the use of MCBuddy simple enough for a beginner?
    Does this reconfiguring still maintain the dolby surrond audio?

sorry for the simpleton questions, but just trying to get my feet wet

thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is and Baldrick told you EXACTLY how to do it, but it seems that you are not really interested in listening to what you are being told. Baldrick had the mercy on you to dumb down his response to one simple sentence of instructions and one simple sentence of advice for the future and that was still too much for you. Those who have limitless patience will have to deal with you now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm forced to side with Baldrick and jman98. Would be glad to help, but you're not giving us enough information. As Baldrick mentioned. download the free MediaInfo utility. Open one of your recordings with it. In the MediaInfo top menu, click "View" and then "Text". Please don't go to the trouble of making a screen capture photo of that Text window. The text can be selected in your browser, then copied and pasted into the forum. Or you can also choose "File" -> "Export" -> then click the "Text" tab, then click the "Advanced mode" option box. Give the file a name and you can attach it as a text file.

I have recorded several HD tv programs via OTA to my pc.
    How were they recorded? What device/software did you use?

I would now like to create a blu-ray dvd of these recordings to watch on my hd tv. I have a Samsung external blu ray writer/player. Cyberlink software came with the unit.
    The Samsung is likely OK, but we wouldn't recommend Cyberlink. For anything. Period. You can do much better at low cost and, in many cases, for free.

Now all I need is someone to guide me through the process. Do I need to convert the programing on my pc prior to starting the burning process? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    That information would come when we know more about what you recorded. BluRay and AVCHD video has standard formatting, encoding, and naming conventions. The "authoring" steps have their own requirements. To get started on what you're dealing with, you should know what is required for HD standards:
    BluRay and AVCHD: technical info about files: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#tech
    BluRay and AVCHD: tech info about authoring for BD disc or hard drive: https://www.videohelp.com/hd#filestruct

We can't advise how to match up to those requirements without at least some MediaInfo data about what you're working with.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:50.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    There is and Baldrick told you EXACTLY how to do it, but it seems that you are not really interested in listening to what you are being told. Baldrick had the mercy on you to dumb down his response to one simple sentence of instructions and one simple sentence of advice for the future and that was still too much for you. Those who have limitless patience will have to deal with you now.
    The OP said his recordings are .wtv files. Baldric's advice is good for most file types, but not .wtv files. MediaInfo provides no useful information about the audio or video when used on a .wtv file.

A .wtv file has to be converted to something else first before MediaInfo can provide a useful report. MCEBuddy can convert unencrypted .wtv files to .ts format, which MediaInfo can analyze in greater detail.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OMG, I forgot about .wtv. Thanks for noting that. For "proper" BluRay they have to be converted anyway.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:51.
    Quote Quote  
  10. OTA caps are almost certainly MPEG 2 and AC3, and Blu-ray compatible. VideoRedo can remux WTV files to other containers. Windows comes with a program that can remux to DVR-MS. Many editors will work with DVR-MS.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Jan 2014 at 15:28.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    OTA caps are almost certainly MPEG 2 and AC3, and Blu-ray compatible. .
    That depends on location. DTV in N. America is always MPEG 2 and AC3. DTV in other places can be different. The audio may need to be converted in some cases. I think some European countries use H.264 for HD video plus AAC for HD audio or MPEG-2 for SD video plus MPEG-1 layer 2 for SD audio.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

THANK YOU for your holier than thou attitude.......it is greatly appreciated

As was originally stated.......I am a complete newbie to this process & if I have to depend on jerks like you to learn, then I never will, but I'm sure you came out of the womb knowing it all

I understood the part about downloading the software, but in some instances, you can right click & get the file extension. That is what I was looking for
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The file extension is important information. Let us know what it is.

BTW, if you're going to be working with many different files in video and video software, don't hide file extensions in Windows. Hiding them will cause a lot of headaches.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Let me explain a little more of what I would like to be able to do

I have recorded some basketball games via over the air antenna. Since these recordings are in high definition, I would like to convert these recordings to a blu-ray dvd to watch on a large screen tv where I have a Panasonic blu ray dvd player attached. I have an external Samsung blu ray writer connected to my pc via usb. The cyberlink software came with the unit. So I understand that I need to convert the recordings to something other type of file before creating the blu ray. Someone suggested using MCEBuddy to remove the commercials from the recordings. I would like to know which software package will perform this operation for me. Another ?.....if I recorded the halves of the game separately, is there a way to merge them together when creating the blu-ray disc.

Many thanks to those that would care to share their acquired knowledge with a beginner
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, can't help with the information provided.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
    in some instances, you can right click & get the file extension. That is what I was looking for
    Open Windows Explorer's "Folder and Search" options. Go to the View tab. Turn off "Hide extensions for know file types". Now you can see all file extension in Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have recorded some basketball games via over the air antenna. Since these recordings are in high definition, I would like to convert these recordings to a blu-ray dvd to watch on a large screen tv where I have a Panasonic blu ray dvd player attached.
    Your Panasonic Blu-Ray player may play some kinds of media files burned as data from BD-R discs discs. Check the manual to see if that is possible. Burning data files to BD-R discs takes less time and effort than creating authored Blu-ray discs with a menu.

So I understand that I need to convert the recordings to something other type of file before creating the blu ray. Someone suggested using MCEBuddy to remove the commercials from the recordings. I would like to know which software package will perform this operation for me. Another ?.....if I recorded the halves of the game separately, is there a way to merge them together when creating the blu-ray disc.?
    Automated commercial removal is frequently innaccurate. I always remove commercials by hand. I recommend using VideoReDo for editing. VideoReDo can also perform automated commercial removal if you really want to do that, as well join video clips together using its Joiner list. VideoReDo's editiors are very good for working with HDTV captures. They both do a better job handling DTV transmission errors than other editing software, and will not re-encode except at cut points, or when correcting transmission errors.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    OTA caps are almost certainly MPEG 2 and AC3, and Blu-ray compatible. .
    That depends on location. DTV in N. America is always MPEG 2 and AC3. DTV in other places can be different. The audio may need to be converted in some cases. I think some European countries use H.264 for HD video plus AAC for HD audio or MPEG-2 for SD video plus MPEG-1 layer 2 for SD audio.
    As yet, most HD TV in Europe broadcast in AC3, not AAC. AAC is used by DAB+ (Digital Audio Broadcast Plus), while DAB and SD TV use MP2 and AC3. HD TV video is solely in H.264.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AAC is already wide spread, depending on what you are able to receive and to record.
    I already deal with HEVC transmissions.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  20. Last night I checked the extension of the recordings & this is what I found
    Windows Recorded TV Show (.wtv)
    rembering that the goal is to create a blu ray version of these recordings that can be viewed on any ones tv that has a blu ray player, do I still need to convert these files.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Last night I checked the extension of the recordings & this is what I found
    Windows Recorded TV Show (.wtv)
    rembering that the goal is to create a blu ray version of these recordings that can be viewed on any ones tv that has a blu ray player, do I still need to convert these files.
    Yes.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Right click on the file and select Open With -> WTV File Converter. After it's remuxed to DVR-MS use MediaInfo to examine its properties, video and audio codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Right click on the file and select Open With -> WTV File Converter. After it's remuxed to DVR-MS use MediaInfo to examine its properties, video and audio codecs.
    I looked up info on WTV Converter and was about to post those instructions, but jagabo beat me to it. Again.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:52.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the goal is to create a blu ray version of these recordings that can be viewed on any ones tv that has a blu ray player, do I still need to convert these files.
    You will need to convert your recordings, edit them, and author a Blu-Ray disc. Not all Blu-ray players can play data discs, so burning your recordings to a data disc after converting them from .WTV to something else is no longer an option.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm. TMPGenc Video Mastering Works will import .wtv files and re-encode them to BD, AVCHD, MKV, etc., with the x264 coder, to DVD using MPEG2 encoding, and even to lossless AVI. And it has few editing functions and a timeline viewer/editor. However, it isn't a smart-renderer if you want to do something like cut and re-encode MKV to MKV or DVD-to-DVD -- it will simply re-encode everything. But it can re-encode WTV to BD/AVCHD/DVD, etc.

TMPGenc Smart Renderer will also use wtv files, but i won't re-encode to different formats (it's a smart-rendering editor, not a converter/encoder). However, if you wanted to just cut the beginning and end and remove commercials out of a wtv file and output a new .wtv without re-encoding the whole thing, the smart-renderer could do it. But that still won't get you a BD or DVD file.

I'm sure there are other apps as well.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 09:52.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
    Let me explain a little more of what I would like to be able to do

I have recorded some basketball games via over the air antenna. Since these recordings are in high definition, I would like to convert these recordings to a blu-ray dvd to watch on a large screen tv where I have a Panasonic blu ray dvd player attached. I have an external Samsung blu ray writer connected to my pc via usb. The cyberlink software came with the unit. So I understand that I need to convert the recordings to something other type of file before creating the blu ray. Someone suggested using MCEBuddy to remove the commercials from the recordings. I would like to know which software package will perform this operation for me. Another ?.....if I recorded the halves of the game separately, is there a way to merge them together when creating the blu-ray disc.

Many thanks to those that would care to share their acquired knowledge with a beginner

My suggestion... if your final goal is to do only what I have specifically highlighted in the quote above, then consider this: you may not have to burn a blu-ray BD-R to watch those basketball games. You just might be able to simply copy the games to a USB flash drive and play from that.

Check the specs of your Panasonic Blu-ray player unit. Most likely it has either a USB 2.0 and/or SD card reader input, and can play back HD content from those types of media. If this is the case with your Blu-ray player, then you are not restricted to BD-R as the target media for the content you want to play on that Panasonic unit.

I record over-the-air HDTV (specifically, terrestrial ATSC in the US), and I can bring the programs and watch them with friends by copying the program (after editing out commercials -- for this I use VideoReDo) onto a USB flash drive or SD card. I plug the USB flash drive into my friend's Blu-ray player (via its front USB 2.0 port) and it can read and display the folders/files stored on the USB flash drive. Use the <L><R>/<U><D> buttons on the Blu-ray player's remote control to navigate to the file you wish to play, then press <SEL> or <ENTER> or <OK>.

You may want to see if this is an option for you before resigning yourself to learn how to properly author and burn a blu-ray disc. Simply copying the content to a USB flashdrive or SD card and playing from that is much much easier IMHO.
    Last edited by PartingShot; 9th Jan 2014 at 21:26.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by PartingShot View Post

My suggestion... if your final goal is to do only what I have specifically highlighted in the quote above, then consider this: you may not have to burn a blu-ray BD-R to watch those basketball games. You just might be able to simply copy the games to a USB flash drive and play from that.

Check the specs of your Panasonic Blu-ray player unit. Most likely it has either a USB 2.0 and/or SD card reader input, and can play back HD content from those types of media. If this is the case with your Blu-ray player, then you are not restricted to BD-R as the target media for the content you want to play on that Panasonic unit.

I record over-the-air HDTV (specifically, terrestrial ATSC in the US), and I can bring the programs and watch them with friends by copying the program (after editing out commercials -- for this I use VideoReDo) onto a USB flash drive or SD card. I plug the USB flash drive into my friend's Blu-ray player (via its front USB 2.0 port) and it can read and display the folders/files stored on the USB flash drive. Use the <L><R>/<U><D> buttons on the Blu-ray player's remote control to navigate to the file you wish to play, then press <SEL> or <ENTER> or <OK>.

You may want to see if this is an option for you before resigning yourself to learn how to properly author and burn a blu-ray disc. Simply copying the content to a USB flashdrive or SD card and playing from that is much much easier IMHO.
    this would seem simpler, but if you are just copying the file in the same format why would it work on a flash drive & not other media.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Right click on the file and select Open With -> WTV File Converter. After it's remuxed to DVR-MS use MediaInfo to examine its properties, video and audio codecs.
    Will I have to download & install WTV File Converter or is it installed as part of Windows 7?

I did a search and this is already available for use.
    Last edited by bnewt; 10th Jan 2014 at 11:46.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
    Will I have to download & install WTV File Converter or is it installed as part of Windows 7?
    Why don't you try it and find out? Just how long does it take you to right click on a file?
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Jan 2014 at 10:34.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PartingShot View Post

this would seem simpler, but if you are just copying the file in the same format why would it work on a flash drive & not other media.
    It probably does work on other media, but you have to check the manual to find out what playback options are supported. ...or post the model number for your Panasonic Blu-Ray player so someone else can attempt to download the manual and check it for you.
    Quote Quote