VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. hey guys, i'm quite new to this. i'm now running win2000, and i can't watch any VCDs. the picture comes out blocky and the audio is squeaky. I've tried other players and even tried installing the visual basic runtime, but still doesn't work. does anyone experience this or know how to solve this prob? thanks alot.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Help help im havin trouble playin vcd on my pc

i run a pentium pro 150 with 70 sumthin worth of ram

and im running Windows 98 on my system
    oh and im using power vcd player to play the vcds but they dont play thats the problem.

when i put in a vcd and load up the program power vcd player i get the error.....

"mmsystem296 the file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. the file may be corrupt or not in the correct format"

ive checked my windows/system/IOSUBSYS
    and found the SCSI1HLP.VXD file with no probs and the other file CDR4VSD.VXD

Even with those two files im geting the same error messg

anybody help pleeese thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi guys!
    Iam having problems playing my vcd´s, I have WINME, and I don't have the folder that was talked about: iosubsys, could anyone email it to me?
    email: chrisfle@get2net.dk
    thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you have rather new type of CD-Rom (all -even OEM- that can read about 40x are), then you just need to install yourself a DVD-player.
    My suggestion is to use winDVD (easiest in use, not complicated), but PowerDVD and AsusDVD are also a few options.

With these software, you can play all types of VideoCD (VCD, XVCD, SVCD, XSVCD, DVD (for this you MUST play the DVD in a DVD-player!)) at your computer, even all the ones you've created your own.

When you've managed to install a 'fake' cdrom (a driver instead the real hardware) and you can read these input-devices with 'normal' data, then you can prepare it with Video material and play the contents using winDVD (or such program) without a problem. Just point the software where the 'fake' cdr is and all should work fine...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Could someone PLEASE email me that infamous SCSI1HLP.VXD file??? please???
    Quote Quote  
  6. How odd.. I never had a problem playing vcds.. even on my old, old Cyrix MII 300..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-17 11:06:45, sweetydarling wrote:
    Could someone PLEASE email me that infamous SCSI1HLP.VXD file??? please???
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

my understanding is that you do not need it under WinMe, Win2000 or WinNT...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh yeah, you can download scsi1hlp.vxd using this link
    Quote Quote  
  9. In an odd twist, my scsi1hlp.vxd file was already renamed with the extension .HP. As soon as I renamed it with the .vdx extention, I have been able to watch vcd without a problem.

Now though, I may have problems burning. On one machine, I can burn a few discs without a problem. Thern when it goes to burn another, it just hangs. This is with using Nero.When I quit Nero with ctrl-alt-del, no cd drives are seen in My Computer.

On my other machine, I can't keep a disc in the cdrom drive. As soon as I put a disc in, it ejects itself. I can read fine from the burner drive though.

Any ideas what is going on ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Guest
    i just got a vcd i just wont to know something all it has on it is 2 tracks and the cd says it is a audio cd well whin i hit that the windows media player pops up whin i try to play that it says Cannot play back the file. the format is not supported, so whout do i do to play the movie? if any one can help me it will mean alot thanks
    Quote Quote  
  11. ench83 I have the same problem as you I also have some vcds with .cda audio video formats in them... I've asked about how it can be fixed like 1months ago but I've yet to find any help
    Quote Quote  
  12. Well i can get vcds to work but i just got some vcds from Barley and i cant get them to work. I was told that i needed a filter(a special file) to use these vcd's. What filter do i need? they say there dat files and the file names are called AVSEQ01 well if that helps. I've tried different players which dont work, just report errors and i dont know if i should just give up. Well if you can help can you reply to my e-mail @ kid_3001@hotmail.com thanks
    Quote Quote  
  13. well i got them to work using powerdvd but thats only the demo and i dont want to pay $50 so does anyone know were i could download a player thats like powerdvd but freeware. and also still reply to my last one.
    Quote Quote  
  14. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    I am using Power DVD v2.55 on my Windows 98SE system. I can view the VCDs I burn using ATI AIW card and ClickNBurn Pro in Windows Media by accessing the DAT file, but Power DVD states that the disc in the drive is an unsupported file format. My Window's \SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory has no SCSI1HLP.VXD (I'll assume that is due to the fact I have no SCSI device in my computer). Any other ideas on what may be causing the problem?

Quote Quote  
  15. I had the problem with Nero not burning either. Just rename the scsi1hlp.vxd to scsi1hlp.old. Then if you want to watch vcds just rename it again. This is what i found out on the nero website
    Quote Quote  
  16. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-05-14 08:16:38, NiteCretr wrote:

I'm writing this so that if anyone else is experiencing a similar problem, they may actually find some help in this forum.
    After screwing with my system for the better part of four days in an effort to view VideoCD's on my Windows box, I finally discovered an answer.

===================
    I can play a vcd normally, with a standard .dat file.
    The problem starts, if I try to play VCd with a non standard length of .dat file ( let say > 700 megs).
    I tried to reinstall the files you mentioned, it doesn't help.

Here's my original post:

"I've downloaded the NTSC test file from the VCD section of this site and burned it to a VCD using Nero 5.5. I've tried PowerDVD and gdivx but nothing recognizes this disc as a Video CD. The mpg file runs fine in both players before burning but gdivx throws a error #6 - Overflow, when I try to open the VCD. PowerDVD thinks the disc is a bad DVD. I used the defaults under Nero when burning. All the Nero tutorials for burning VCD's look pretty simple but I haven't seen a successful burn yet. Any ideas? Please?"

And here's the answer:

In order to play VideoCD's on a PC (or even copy the dat files from a VideoCD in the CDROM drive to the PC's disk) you have to have the virtual device driver SCSI1HLP.VXD in Window's \SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory; otherwise, the file structure will not be recognized by Windows. My file was there but some program had changed it's extension. After renaming and rebooting, my VideoCD's now run without a hitch.

Hope this helps,
    NiteCretr
    NiteCretr@nc.rr.com
    Quote Quote  
  17. I have a similar problem, but only when playing VCD's on my CD-ROM, I have the SCSI1HLP.VXD in IOSUBSYS!

I used Nero to author a VCD, burned it to a 10x CD-RW, put it into my Plextor Ultraplex SCSI CD-ROM and clicked PLAY on PowerDVD 3, the CD accesses for a second and then totally locks up WinME, forcing a reset?

If I put the SAME CD into my SCSI PlexWriter 12/10/32S, and set this as the default drive in PowerDVD, click Play, the damn thing plays???

Does this mean:

A) My Ultraplex can't read VCD's

or

B) PowerDVD is not compatible with my Ultraplex?

or

C) Nero doesn't create 100% working VCD's

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Some vcds created by me don't work and others get block grapics.

And after some tests...
    The problem are the cheaper cd media!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I am having problems playing PAL format vcd's on my computer but they work fine on my stand alone dvd player, does anyone know what the deal is? NTSC plays fine though its strange.
    Quote Quote  
  20. i have windows xp and windows media player 8.0 and i cant play vcds! can anyone help me? email any help to majin_shinsa@yahoo.com. thanx!
    MAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Quote Quote  
  21. please help

I make mpeg1 & 2 clips with Dazzle DVCII. They play on my DVD player and DVDsoft perfectly fine.

However, if I play them with Windows Media Player 7 or Elecard MPEG - they look blotchy and jagged and aweful. This only happens with mpegs that I have encoded. Those from elsewhere play fine.
    THANK YOU
    Quote Quote  
  22. I made a vcd using nero, when i finished burning i checked the disc. it said it only contained 2.5 meg of data. i looked in the mpegav folder and it said the .dat file was 342 meg... Anyone know whats going on here??
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. That's just a recognition glitch in your windows explorer. If the file in your MPEG folder doesn't have a recognizable extension, it might get overlooked.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I cant play vcds either. In fact, my cd player doesnt even recognize I have a disk in. It says the device isnt ready, just like when it is empty. I have the SCSI file everybody is talking about in my iosubsys folder. I have Windows 98. Can anybody help me out here?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK what is the smallest (file size and system requirments) Freeware S/VCD player?

I have tried to use MS-MediaPlayer V7.1 and it does not see the S/VCD as a correct meda format. And after reading all the posts it seems that I have all the correct files on my computer... and want to make sure that when I copy my VCD and send it to family that they can play it back with little or no troubles on their PC.

The Disc will play back correctly using DVD playing software. (PowerDVD)

I used NERO to burn the disc.

How can I add the above player to the S/VCD so that I can send copies of the disc to family members so that they can play back the disk?

--David

Please copy email reply to me at dec2955@swbell.net
    Quote Quote  
  26. just make it easier on yourself download a trial of powerdvd as this playes everything U put in it!!! have a go! with the windows 2000 thing have U installed a divx codec as this plays havoc with media player.. if not well the answer may be the vga drives or even vga card.

Kev!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-12-23 01:33:14, P@iNKilleR wrote:
    just make it easier on yourself download a trial of powerdvd

Its not to make things easy on me but on family members that I send the disc to....
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi!

I have Windows ME and I don´t see vcd! Why?

In Windows Media Player appears "file not supported", in Micro DVD "file not found". Why?

my e-mail: tiago-veloso@iol.pt
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows media player(crap that it is) will not play vcd-svcd etc, unless you download the appropriate huge codec that it requires, but you will still sufer from blotchyness. As mentioned above, powerDVD is the light at the end of the tunnel,remember if you have converted a file or downloaded one on MPEG format greater than 1 you need a DVD style program to view the file as its not a standard file for the pc.I have a scsi burner and standard IDE cd-rom , using powerDVD have never had a problem viewing these files, except for the odd crap conversion I have performed.
    Dave
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Quote Quote  
  30. You can play your VCD in any Windows Player, when you open your player, go the CD-ROM and find the .DAT file, WIN player will open it and play, your are right in that Win wil not play the VCD stright out without the codec or look for a VCD player for WIN which is out there.

Bud
    Quote Quote