VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

First of all I hope this is in the right section.

Second, I'm a total newbie when it comes to this stuff, it's all Greek to me.

What I'm trying to do is convert a Bluray rip (mp4 about 4gigs) to something I can fit on a DVD to watch.

I have DVD Flick and DVDFab. I tried converting it with DVDFab but the video was awful.

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have what I think you have, the only advice you will get on here is......

Buy the dvd.

[discussion/assistance re illegally obtained/copyright infringed media is against the forum rules]
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Never Mind, D883 already said it
    Quote Quote  
  4. DVDx 4.1 Preview can do this well using mpeg2.ini profile and Nero or something to burn the DVD from the .mpeg file.

However, DVDx 4.1 Preview requires registration...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    DVDx 4.1 Preview can do this well using mpeg2.ini profile and Nero or something to burn the DVD from the .mpeg file.

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. downscaling bluray to such a low resolution as dvd will always result in shit quality video, the same as trying to convert a dvd to high def bluray format.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    downscaling bluray to such a low resolution as dvd will always result in shit quality video...
    Only if you consider all DVDs as 'shit quality'. Maybe you do, I don't know. But I've converted plenty of hi-def video files to DVD and they look good. Not as good as the source hi-def videos, of course, but still good. And compared to what you'll get out of DVDFab they look very good. Maybe HairyToes could try AvsToDVD and see if he likes the results any better.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    downscaling bluray to such a low resolution as dvd will always result in shit quality video...
    Only if you consider all DVDs as 'shit quality'. Maybe you do, I don't know. But I've converted plenty of hi-def video files to DVD and they look good. Not as good as the source hi-def videos, of course, but still good. And compared to what you'll get out of DVDFab they look very good. Maybe HairyToes could try AvsToDVD and see if he likes the results any better.
    on the contrary, i love the older dvd format, especially when it comes to commercial grade movies, heck i still have hundreds of them, and all upscale and play beautifully on all my HD tv's, although i do have them all converted to h264 mp4 format (@ 70% of the original dvd bitrate) for playback via my usb powered portable hdd plugged into our tv's.

converting them to mp4 gives me a file 70% less than the dvd movie but retains most of the quality of the dvd.

i probably over-stated in my post by using the term "shitty" and at the time of writing the post, i forgot he has a bluray rip and thought it was a 1080 file from a HD camera, which when converted to dvd format can be pretty horrible.

but none the less, even in this case, i just dont get this ripping a HD or bluray video to dvd format, to me its pretty much pointless, but if he is going to convert it, why not copy the 4gb BDAV file from the stream folder on the bluray disc and re-convert it to 1280x720 h264 in an MP4 container using Handbrake (its free) then copy the mp4 file to a USB stick or portable hdd and play it directly from the tv.

with todays HD televisions being able to play most file formats via a usb drive from its built in media player, and a 720p file should be supported in most HD tv's out there.

cheers

edit: apologies, the highlighted text above i retract as he doesnt have the bluray, he has the bluray movie ripped already in mp4 format.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 30th Dec 2013 at 20:38.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all the replies.

I will try AVStoDVD and HandBrake.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  10. if you use handbrake, it wont do dvd format, it only converts video to h264 in an MP4 or MKV container, and if you want a smaller file size just down convert yiur video to 1280x720 hd resolution as i mention in my other posts.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Yep, I have converted original pressed Bluray disc movies to SL DVD format and they were 10 times better looking than the original pressed versions on DVD of the same movie!!!

So I guess "shit quality video" depends on the source and what you expect
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Yep, I have converted original pressed Bluray disc movies to SL DVD format and they were 10 times better looking than the original pressed versions on DVD of the same movie!!!
    10 times better looking than the dvd movie you say, well i would think that this may be a slight over exageration if i may say so myself, its pretty much unlikely to be that much better, and i can say with all honesty that none of the bluray movies i have tried re-converting to dvd has ever given that type of quality compared to the original dvd.

each to their own i guess, but it doesnt work like that for me.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post

So I guess "shit quality video" depends on the source and what you expect
    I wouldn't say 10 times, but overall I agree with Noahtuck on this. The full disc is available for the movie as opposed to the pressed disc which has movie, extras, unneeded languages etc.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know why nobody mentioned BD-Rebuilder which can convert BD to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    I wouldn't say 10 times, but overall I agree with Noahtuck on this. The full disc is available for the movie as opposed to the pressed disc which has movie, extras, unneeded languages etc.
    not sure where the 2nd part of your reply (which i highlighted) has anything to do with what noahtuck said in his post ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, I agree with you (BD-Rebuilder - free), I used it many times to convert a Bluray to a single DVD and to a dual layer DVD with excellent results, Also you should have no problem with AVStoDVD (free) or VSO Bluray Converter Ultimate ($29.99).
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well, it also depends on the original source quality.
    It was with a Clint Eastwood movie, The Gauntlet.

The original store bought pressed dvd was grainy as hell, blurry, washed out colors, etc.
    When it was new it was great!!
    Years later when the I got a hold of the Bluray I ripped it and converted it to a single layer dvd, movie only.
    And most dual layer pressed dvd's, when you take just the movie, most times it will fit a SL DVDR with NO to little compression.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323580-ConvertXTtoDVD-won-t-fill-a-DVD-5?p=2083669&...=1#post2083669

This was a few years ago before I had a Bluray player in every room and went totally CRT free

And that is not even a good comparison because I used an old version of powerdvd to take the screencaps, which usually suck!!
    No, it's not as good as the original Bluray but.....
    Comparing them on a 47" LED it is like night and day and the Bluray rip/conversion blows away the original pressed DVD.

And yeah, I would never use DVDFab for converting, just ripping.
    Like jman said, BD-Rebuilder, or ConvertXtoDVD.
    I am sure I tried something else before but it's been so long since I have done a conversion like that
    I don't recall the names.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HairyToes View Post
    Originally Posted by Starbuck2010 View Post
    DVDx 4.1 Preview can do this well using mpeg2.ini profile and Nero or something to burn the DVD from the .mpeg file.

Thank you
    You should know that Starbuck2010 is the author of DVDx 4.1 and a tireless promoter of his own software. I guess he has to be since it gets very few recommendations otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Because the 'source' isn't a BD? Does it also convert downloaded MP4s to DVD? If you don't know how to do it manually, AvsToDVD is the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Because the 'source' isn't a BD? Does it also convert downloaded MP4s to DVD? If you don't know how to do it manually, AvsToDVD is the way to go.
    yes
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    not sure where the 2nd part of your reply (which i highlighted) has anything to do with what noahtuck said in his post ?
    All the space can be used for the movie-only back up, up to the max allowed bitrate. In other words no space is wasted on languages and subtitles you don't need, or on extras that you might not want to watch.
    Quote Quote  
  22. ok i have a ZZ-Top concert bluray (1080 @ 24Mbps) and the same concert on a commercial dvd, so i put the bluray disc into my Dell 2330 AIO desktop and copied the main 15.5gb (24Mbps) concert file from the disc to my hdd.

i then imported that file into my VRD editing software and converted it to a dvd compliant mpeg2 program stream using a bitrate of 7Mbps average and 8Mbps max, with the resulting file ending up at 7.2Mbps.

i then ripped the dvd copy (concert only) to my hdd as an mpeg2 program stream using VRD (no re-converting) and it has a bitrate of 6Mbps.

i then put the converted bluray file and the ripped dvd file onto my usb portable hdd, and played both back on all our HD tv's (40" up to 55") and the dvd version @ 6Mbps is better than the bluray converted mpeg2 file @ 7.2Mbps using VRD.

if there is a better tool for converting a bluray to dvd format than VRD does it then i will give it a go, but personally i see no point in it unless all you have is an older tv and a dvd player to play it on, then you have no choice, and it will suffice.

converting the bluray to 720p mp4 is to me a far better option if you have the ability to play the file either from the usb port on your tv, or using an external hdd media player such as the WD Live Media players i still have.

All the space can be used for the movie-only back up, up to the max allowed bitrate. In other words no space is wasted on languages and subtitles you don't need, or on extras that you might not want to watch.
    so he was referring to ripping the "movie only" from the disc and converting it to dvd to fit the movie only to the whole disc.

thx for clarifying that, i was not really sure what he was referring to.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 30th Dec 2013 at 20:42.
    Quote Quote  
  23. This thread makes no sense to me....why would anyone , in the age of HD TVs and advanced compression codecs...would STILL want to rip a bluray to a dvd....a format that is dying faster than a rock sinking in water? DVD sales are in the dumpster, blockbuster is dead, dvd players are going extinct. (check out how many different bluray models there are at best buy and walmart compared to dvd models, it's like a 5 to 1 in favor of BR

And what really confuses the F**k out of me, is that people here, have the means to rip a bluray , which means you have the means to WATCH a bluray, and you want to rip it to DVD?? wtf!!!

"hey honey, I just bought this awesome cd, it sounds great I love it, now Im gonna go and record it to an F'N Cassette tape! " .......... now, does that make sense to anybody here??

So to the original poster: "hairy Toes" (yuck btw) it's clear you don't own the BRs you're ripping and you are wasting money probably on cheap dvd-r discs that may or may not work and leave space you don't use on them on the table ....so here are some ideas for you and anybody else who wants to do this "going backwards" idea :

1. Connect a damn hdmi cable from whatever you using to backup your blurays , directly to your tv and watch the damn bluray.

2. Get an external hdd at least 1TB but 2TB is better, rip the blurays to high quality mp4's which every thing in this universe is capable of reading and for 2 to 3 gigs more than the 4gb you want, you can have yourself a virtual true bluray back up

2A. DVDFAB works great for this! people who say it doesn't work is bcuz they are setting the damn bit rate to like 1000kbs...of course it's gonna look crappy. I recently backed up my Monsters university bluray. just the movie was like 20gb. I set DVDFAB to rip to mp4.h264.acc , at 1080p, with tru 5.1 sound at 320kbps, and a constant Bitrate of 9000k, my end file was 6.4GB . Now it's in my external hdd. So I just hook that up to my bluray player which is connected to the tv of course and nobody could tell that it wasn't a bluray, it looked that damn good! Just like the real thing! And my retail disc, went in its box and to the storage shed.

3.Get a bluray player that can read videos from usb. Which like 90% of new ones sold today do that. As long as it can read the mp4's ...you're golden.

The point of all this is that there is no way in 2013 (and 14) that a 40, 30 or even 20GB bluray will look good on 4gb of space. If it did, bluray discs would be only 4gb in size not 25 or 50. Maybe 10 or 15yrs from now when compression gets more advance, maybe but for now , it's time to save up your pennies, tell people to get a player or cash for your B-day or whatever and upgrade your tech to something this century... im just saying!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search PM
    Nice first post MasterZuilus

glenpinn -- I don't know what VRD uses for mpeg encoding so I can't comment on its performance or lack thereof
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Funny...but MasterZoilus just expressed exactly my thoughts on the subject.
    Perhaps they're too cheap to buy a HDTV.
    The things people do or want to do is amazing.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes MasterZoilus is the hero of the day. I hope thread is closed.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie View Post
    Funny...but MasterZoilus just expressed exactly my thoughts on the subject.
    Perhaps they're too cheap to buy a HDTV.
    The things people do or want to do is amazing.
    Portable DVD players in vehicles to entertain the kids on long trips.

Try and put a 50" lcd in a Honda.

1. Connect a damn hdmi cable from whatever you using to backup your blurays , directly to your tv and watch the damn bluray.
    Bitc*in long cable from the house to the car on a trip.
    Last edited by gonca; 31st Dec 2013 at 18:50.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Yes MasterZoilus is the hero of the day. I hope thread is closed.
    TreeTops, why would you, or anyone else for that matter say that the above poster is the master of the day, and then after his rant, suggest that the thread be closed, when all he did was repeat what i, and maybe a few other posters, were trying to get across in our own posts well before he dropped by and ranted on like he did.

the thing to remember here is respect for the needs of other members, something which some posters clearly dont have by the way they responded to the needs of the thread creator, and although i personally dont understand why the thread owner wants to do what he asked, other posters, including myself, had already offered him several options that would have worked for him, and thats where the thread should have ended, nothing more really had to be said about it, but the point is, not everyone has the means to do what everyone in here has suggested, so i am figuring the thread creator here is just very inexperienced with this sort of thing, and "MasterZoilius" and other posters need to understand this fact.

Originally Posted by MasterZoilus View Post
    So to the original poster: "hairy Toes" (yuck btw)
    so whats with this comment, if you dont like a members user name, just get over it and dont disrespect them by posting comments like that, its not needed, and its rude.

Portable DVD players in vehicles to entertain the kids on long trips.
    remember everyone, there is still nothing wrong with commercial grade dvd movies, they still upscale nicely and play reasonably well on big HD tv's and where i come from, hardly anyone owns a bluray player, everyone still has their old dvd players and still hire dvd movies, and it is acceptable for most people out there in tv land.

what a lot of people dont know about their own HD tv is that they have a built in media player that will play videos/photos/music from usb sticks or usb powered portable hard drives like those that i use, but the problem with this is that the owner of the tv has to find a way to get their videos/movies ripped to their pc and copied to the usb drive, and for many people, it is not something they are able to do, thats why so many people still hang on to their old dvd players, and that is the reality of it all.
    Last edited by glenpinn; 31st Dec 2013 at 19:35.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by gonca View Post
    glenpinn -- I don't know what VRD uses for mpeg encoding so I can't comment on its performance or lack thereof
    VRD seems to do a pretty decent job of converting bluray to an mpeg2 program stream, but im not exactly sure how it all works, but with VRD they dont have a pre-compiled mpeg2 profile, you just create your own based on certain presets that are created by the developers of the software, and you can go to the advanced setting in your profile and change the settings to suit your needs, however i always make my mpeg2 profile to be dvd compliant, even tho i dont always intend burning the video to dvd.

VRD also has a built in dvd authoring and burning tool as well.
    Quote Quote