VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://homes.yahoo.com/news/is-a-la-carte-streaming-right-for-you-230400946.html

Finally in the middle of the article it talks about sports being very difficult to do if you drop cable/sat and go just streaming.

It also mentions news which I didn't think about. Now granted you have local ota news so you won't go without completely.

But I don't think the main national cable news channels offer easy 24/7 streaming options. Though of course you can hop on to their website easy enough to watch a clip or something. But it's still not the same as popping it on for a half hour or something if something is going on.

I'm also glad it points out that you don't necessarily save money by going the subscription route. Or buying individually from itunes and vudu and stuff (for tv shows specifically, in this case - movies are a different beast).

Of course you can do the mlb and nhl and nba on consoles now but I don't know if that lets you watch any game. Also its not as easy as just changing the channel to espn or fsn and sitting back and watching your local team.

I think the point is for jumping to streaming only it depends on your viewing habits and how fast your internet is.

I did find it a bit funny that it mentioned the internet cost would be cheaper if bundled with a tv service. That defeats the purpose of the whole discussion
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Finally? Every article I've read says sports and news are the two things that are irreplaceable right up front. They then go on to say "if you can live without that..."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Finally? Every article I've read says sports and news are the two things that are irreplaceable right up front. They then go on to say "if you can live without that..."
    I must not be reading that closely.

Which I admit might be very possible. I do tend to skim articles online.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. too much violence and lies, better to cut it off and watch what you want, let it stream to your house,what you want,...., the problem is if you want to watch TV shows, then you should not cut the cable in the first place, it will not work for you anyway ... if you just relax and wait that something nice Netflix will air from time to time, cut the cable,..., but there is so much to see streaming (excluding TV shows and news) that literally there is no time to watch Tv shows, cable, so cutting cable is perfectly all right, but .....then you think about sport ...

sport,...no solution for me, only to pay double, say you want to watch NHL, no cable , NHL game center, $18 a month or so, but they do not let you watch home team, because they are on cable every time when home team plays, so trying to stream home team will result in a pop up - not available because it is on local cable, so basically you have to pay for both, cable (to watch home team) and streaming to watch games you want. I'm talking about some descent video quality, not some garbled streaming from web that can be found.
    Last edited by _Al_; 27th Dec 2013 at 21:53.
    Quote Quote