VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello! I'm a total newbie in the world of video and in need of assistance. I want to upload gaming videos to youtube, particularly Dota 2. This game uses Source Engine, which has a lot of in-game commands that benefits movie makers such as host_framerate <value> which sets the game's framerate to the desired value and startmovie which starts taking image sequence of the game in .tga format based on the value you put in host_framerate.

I put a value of "240" and as a result, it gives me 8,000+ tga images represented as frames when dragged to virtualdub. The resolution I recorded it is 2560x1440 also known as 2k in youtube. Unfortunately, there's a warning popping up followed by an error seconds later when I tried to compress it in x264. So I downscaled the resolution to 1920x1080 and the warning and error disappeared. (I really wanted to upload it as 1440p but 1080p will do. Some say change the levels, but I already put it in 5.2 which is the highest in x264 but the warning and errors persists.)

I want to ask about the Video>Framerate of virtualdub. Under the Source Rate Adjustment, there's "Change frame rate to (fps): <value>. I put 30 here, does that mean virtualdub automatically drops all the excess frames or it just plays the video at the speed of 30 fps while keeping the 240 fps?

Also, below is the Frame rate conversion. There is "Process all frames" and "Convert to fps: <value>" What does this do? What's the difference of this to "Change frame rate"?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    I want to ask about the Video>Framerate of virtualdub. Under the Source Rate Adjustment, there's "Change frame rate to (fps): <value>. I put 30 here, does that mean virtualdub automatically drops all the excess frames or it just plays the video at the speed of 30 fps while keeping the 240 fps?
    It keeps all frames and marks the frame rate as whatever you specify, eg. 240. Ie, your video will play faster or slower depending on what you put here. But all frames will be included.

Originally Posted by raphaelolaguer View Post
    Also, below is the Frame rate conversion. There is "Process all frames" and "Convert to fps: <value>" What does this do? What's the difference of this to "Change frame rate"?
    "Convert to fps [30]" will result in 7 of every 8 frames being discarded and give you a 30 fps result. "Process all frames" will keep all frames and leave you with a 240 fps video.
    Quote Quote