VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Need some guidance in choosing a DVD player that will play movies from a USB3.0 2 TB drive via the USB input (the drive is backward compatible)
    This is for my son so he can have the 30 movies he wants on one small drive and not on 30 DVD discs scattered around the house.

The format is not really important as I am using an Aiseesoft Ripper but I would like the ability to burn HD movies as well as regular movies onto the drive and then play them via the player so I figure *.mp4?.

I have had success using a pen drive on his cheap Sony player but can only load one or two standard definition movies (*.mp4 if I try using the TB drive it will see the drive but will not recognize any movie (*.mp4 I have also tried AVI and Dvix)

Any suggestions

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From my experience, most DVD players are pretty limited in codec and container support. You'd be better off getting a Blu-Ray Player. Even then, you'll need to make sure that whatever codecs/containers you are using for your conversion(s) are supported.

Personally, I'd dump the idea of a DVD player and just get a WDTV Live Play.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your USB enclosure MUST come with its own power supply or I promise you that you WILL have problems. I absolutely guarantee it. It's deplorable, but most manufacturers sell external drives without power supplies and that really only works (and even then not always) when you connect the drive to a PC. Until you make sure that his drive comes with its own power supply any other concerns/questions are moot.

DVD players almost never support anything but Divx/Xvid on external drives and you are limited to standard definition video. You'll need a BluRay player or a WD device (or something similar) for stuff like MKV, MP4, etc. LG makes some BD players that have good support for various video formats on external drives.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your player sees the drive but does not recognise its contents the chances are that the player will only accept external drives formatted as FAT32. I suspect your 2 TB drive is NTFS.

If you were to reformat your 2 TB drive to FAT 32 it will suddenly shrink in size since FAT 32 only supports drives IIRC up to 512 MB. This caveat probably apples to most players and external drive support so your plan of linking a dvd player and a full 2 TB drive is a non-starter.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    From my experience, most DVD players are pretty limited in codec and container support. You'd be better off getting a Blu-Ray Player. Even then, you'll need to make sure that whatever codecs/containers you are using for your conversion(s) are supported.

Personally, I'd dump the idea of a DVD player and just get a WDTV Live Play.
    Thanks went to Best Buy and low and behold one of the geek squad pointed me to WDTV box and it works like a dream
    Quote Quote  
  6. 30 movies will fit on a 64 GB flash drive as Xvid AVI. Or a 32 GB flash drive as AVC MKV.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My old 2010 Samsung BD-C6500 Blu-Ray player plays most video formats (AVI, MKV, MP4) and my 250 GB USB drive works fine with it. My USB drive gets it's power from the USB connection. The player also supports Netflix, Hula and many other apps. It also supports DLNA so video can be streamed from my PC over WIFI. It's an outdated model and I assume most current Blu-Ray players with USB and WIFI should work fine with most video. Check the specs before purchasing. Samsung and Sony are good choices.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I wouldn't buy a Bluray player as a multimedia player due to the Cinavia problem. If you specifically want to play Bluray discs that's of course a different matter, but for playback of AVI/MP4/MKV files etc, I'd consider a standalone media player like these.
    Or try Googling "USB Media Player".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Maybe this 3d one from Best Buy? Wifi,
    $45 shipped.
    • Also plays MPEG-1, MPEG-2 PS, TS, SMPTE VC-1 (VC-9), MKV, AVC Rec, AVCHD, M4V, WMV, 3GP, MP4, MOV, FLV and VOB video, LPCM, MP3, WMA, AAC and FLAC audio, JPEG, GIF and PNG photo formats.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321262050135

Use coupon code
    CLICKLASTMINUTE
    to get $10 off
    Quote Quote