VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's the car that I always wanted. I tried to talk a little old lady that drove to the city every three months to grocery shop to sell me hers but she wouldn't sell. I worked for a plumber in Napa, California that had a copper one that he drove to work every once and a while. His company was Steve Silva Plumbing so the SS worked well. He kept the stock 327 in his shop and put a 350 in the Nova. Looks like you spent a lot of time and money putting yours back together. Lines are all straight, new vinyl top, chrome and paint.

Hot rods were pretty cheap back then. My brother paid $750 for the SS 396 but all the other hot rods we had were under $500. You could built a 350 chevy for $150 which is why they were such a popular build. Ford and Dodge parts cost a lot more.

Most people don't know that all of the Pontiac's motors (326-455) back then were all big blocks. The Pontiac 350 that we put into the 67 had more stock horse power (430) than the 400 (390) but 400 sounded better than 350 when you were marketing muscle cars like The Judge. GM way under-rated the 350 at 330 hp. The guy that we got the engine from had just rebuilt the motor when he wrapped the Ventura it was in around a telephone poll.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    @ hello_hello:

As long as luisppk believes that "winning" an argument is more important than "explaining", there is nothing more to add.
    Well I was hoping luisppk would return to explain why he can't use the external encoder feature of VirtualDub and instead needs to use a VFW encoder, but maybe that's not going to happen.
    1. I have a life. Have to work... have family... have friends...
    Internet is how I invest my time in home, when I have any. All the rest, I live life.
    Okay...... I'm thrilled you think that's relevant to my question, and while I can assure you I found it fascinating, given obviously very few other people have a life...... VirtualDub can use commandline encoders via is external encoders feature. Why don't you simply use the x264/x265 commandline encoders instead of a VFW version? What's the advantage to using a VFW version?

2. As I said before... This post is not for debating, winning or explaining stuff. Is about asking some good hearted programmer to build a VFW x265 codec. Everything else, just came as collateral chit chat.
    Well x264 is a pretty mature encoder, but it's early days for x265. When the version someone built for you today becomes obsolete tomorrow, are you hoping for an updated version? And what about next week? Or the week after? Will this VFW version of the x265 encoder you're requesting never need updating?

1. In command line, you have to write ALL the commands. When you just do 1 task, its a piece of cake. Issues come when you have to do multiple tasks with many files, one after another.

Hope this answer is enough for you.

2. So... your concern is When someday in the future, when VFW x265 gets old... perhaps in 2, 3 or more years AFTER somebody decides to create it?

Before I answer, let me ask how many years does the X264 vfw codec has.
    Maybe 5 years? Perhaps a little more?
    How many times in its life, has been updated?
    And why on earth, someone would ever suppose the X265 will be different?
    And why am I losing my time with you?

Honestly, I prefer losing my time talking with 'this is my car' guy.

----------

@'This is my car 'guy:
    By the way... me too had a 1965 mustang. Also a 1970 triumph spitfire and a 1972 cute mini morris. Later I bought an Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce 1984. Then a Nissan ZX300 Z32 1994, and after that...
    and so, and so....
    I got many more cars until today...
    Today, I have a BMW 2010... A
    Ah! I forgot... also have a backhoe-loader (posting photo).
    And maybe next time I saw you around here, I take a picture of my BMW to show you.

Here I'm driving the backhoe loader.

Here I'm about to leave, after playing on big's men toy and getting all sweaty and dirty.

Oh!
    I forgot... the 2009 jeep in the back, is also mine (BMW can't go there).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I had an old John Deere backhoe just like that about 20 years ago. I also worked in construction and ran excavators about 10 times the size of that little backhoe, along with Frontend loaders and Rock Trucks. Sorry, no pictures.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    1. In command line, you have to write ALL the commands. When you just do 1 task, its a piece of cake. Issues come when you have to do multiple tasks with many files, one after another.
    You don't have to write ALL the commands. You only need to write the ones you're using which differ from the default settings.

Hope this answer is enough for you.
    No.... because when you create a commandline and save it in VirtualDub's encoder configuration, you can save it as a preset, so you can have multiple x264 encoder configurations all using different settings and easily select the appropriate one for encoding. There's no need to create a commandline from scratch every time you encode. Have you even tried using VirtualDub's external encoder feature?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vd.gif
Views:	1446
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	25143

2. So... your concern is When someday in the future, when VFW x265 gets old... perhaps in 2, 3 or more years AFTER somebody decides to create it?

Before I answer, let me ask how many years does the X264 vfw codec has.
    Maybe 5 years? Perhaps a little more?
    How many times in its life, has been updated?
    And why on earth, someone would ever suppose the X265 will be different?
    Are you serious? Have you ever encoded a video before? x264 is still being actively maintained and regularly updated. I don't know why you think that's not the case. I don't know how often a new stable version is released.... maybe a couple of times a year these days..... I haven't paid that much attention to it..... but I looked at some video on my hard drive I encoded about a year and a half ago, and they were encoded using version "core 125 r220". At the moment I'm using "core 142 r240".
    The stitchable option was added to the x264 commandline less than a year ago and that's a fairly important one for segmented encoding.
    https://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/x264-devel/2013-July/010167.html

As far as x265 goes, it could still be considered an "experimental" encoder because it's very early days. If you think it's basically "finished" and won't change much in the future, you're very much mistaken. Even the CLI parameters and options etc are changing as development continues. The x265 encoder you're using today will probably be very obsolete compared to the current version in six months time.
    Have a look through this thread, which was started seven months ago and it might give you a fair idea how rapidly things are changing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When x264vfw was created, there was no external encoder feature in Virtualdub so x264vfw was needed if you intended to encode x264 into an avi (which is not recommended). Now that there is an external encoder, there is no need for the x264vfw codec. People have been encoding with the command line encoder into an mkv container for three years now with Virtualdub and the external encoder.

People use the excuse that it is too difficult to write the working commands but there are plenty of working vdprof files with all the commands already written out for you. There is also a Virtualdub forum that shows you how to create the encoder sets that make up your vdprof file and links to CLI encoders and also a page in the software section of this site dedicated to Virtualdub with working links to those files.

I didn't know anything about command line encoders when I first started using the External Encoder. I just followed the directions. All the hard work had already been done. By sharing our findings with each other, users have been able to get most CLI encoders working in Virtualdub. There are a few that do not support stdin and will not work but frame serving still works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are a good learner, you can edit your videos in AviUtl and export directly to HEVC mp4 or mkv via the x265 export plugin. Here is a simple example of the quality you can achieve at very low bitrates:
    Image Attached Files
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    If you are a good learner, you can edit your videos in AviUtl and export directly to HEVC mp4 or mkv via the x265 export plugin. Here is a simple example of the quality you can achieve at very low bitrates:
    I didn't know about the AviUtl. I'll take a look.
    Thks.

---

about the backhoe loader...
    I don't work in construction.
    what happens, is that I bought a kinda-alike-moon-surface property (2hc) out of the city (reasonable cheap), and when I ask how Much it will cost to remove all the rocks and plain the ground... I fainted.
    'Those SOB' -I thought- 'Thats why they sold me so cheap'

So...
    I manage some ideas, and buying a backhoe loader was after much analyzing, the best one (once finished, I could sell it).
    I did it, in 2012 (credit - salesman laugh when I told). All weekends I go there (sometimes alone, and others with family and/or friends), and work like playing.
    As I said before... For me, is a big men's toy.
    Sometimes I got an extra cash from the neighborhood (nothing difficult, just easy stuff). And also have some offers for it. But I like it, and don't wanna sell.

I suppose in about another year of weekends, I may finish most of the job.
    Maybe... maybe... I sell it when that happens.
    But maybe not.
    Too much fun.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Any kind spirit programmer who can help us compiling a VFW x265 codec?

PD: VP9 will work as well
    Last edited by luisppk; 11th May 2014 at 19:05.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by luisppk View Post

Any kind spirit programmer who can help us compiling a VFW x265 codec?

PD: VP9 will work as well
    As I asked previously, have you tried using VirtualDub's external encoder configuration or are you just pretending x265 won't be constantly updated while ignoring anything which doesn't suit you?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, it's true tha VFW is limited but it is more powerfull in some ways.
    It may be personal choice but I prefer using "dll" rather than external exe.
    Think also about Smart Rendering of x264, it is nice to edit a part of a "finished video" without re-encoding everything and it would be nice with x265 also.
    Codec Toolbox RS (A tool to read/change merit of codecs and many other things)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I can't say it clearer...

Name:  monster-car-engine-300x225.jpg
Views: 2371
Size:  82.2 KB
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello,

I've made an x265 video for windows encoder codec, based on the x264vfw and the x265 encoder library. It's encoder side build only, it has no decoder.
    This is the first test release, use it for testing only.
    I've tested with VirtualDubMod 1.5.10.3.
    The VFW output seems to work properly at saving into AVI with VirtualDubMod,
    but I have doubts with the MKV and OGM outputs, but VLC plays them properly.
    The x265vfw internal file writing function doesn't work. (can crash or makes incorrect output)

Direct link to windows installer:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/files/x265vfw/x265vfw_v100_x265b79/x265vfw_v10...6.exe/download

Homepage is:
    http://mpxplay.sourceforge.net

You can follow the updates on FB too:
    http://www.facebook.com/mpxplay
    Last edited by Mpxplay; 16th Jan 2016 at 17:23.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Used the direct link and installed but there was no vfw codec. Tried to configure but no matter what I try, Windows can't find x265vfw.dll.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ I created a properly-written (or at least I think so) .INF file for those DLLs,
    and tested it on my XP Machine. The "X265 Codec" remains invisible to VirtualDub 1.9.11.

FWIW:

; X265 Video Codec

[Version]
    Signature="$CHICAGO$"
    Class=Media

[DefaultInstall]
    CopyFiles=x265video.Files.Inf,x265video.Files.Dll
    AddReg=x265video.AddReg
    UpdateInis=x265video.UpdateIni
    MediaType=SOFTWARE

[DefaultUnInstall]
    DelFiles=x265video.Files.Inf,x265video.Files.Dll,x 265video.Files.Pnf
    DelReg=x265video.AddReg
    UpdateInis=x265video.UpdateIni.Del

[SourceDisksNames]
    1="X265 Video Codec","",1

[SourceDisksFiles]
    x265vfw.inf=1
    libx265.dll=1
    x265vfw.dll=1

[DestinationDirs]
    x265video.Files.Inf=17 ; windows\inf
    x265video.Files.Dll=11 ; windows\system

[x265video.Files.Inf]
    x265vfw.inf

[x265video.Files.Dll]
    x265vfw.dll
    libx265.dll

[x265video.Files.Pnf]
    x265vfw.pnf

[x265video.UpdateIni]
    system.ini, drivers32,,"VIDC.HEVC=x265vfw.dll"
    system.ini, drivers32,,"VIDC.H265=x265vfw.dll"
    system.ini, drivers32,,"VIDC.X265=x265vfw.dll"

[x265video.UpdateIni.Del]
    system.ini, drivers32,,"VIDC.HEVC=x265vfw.dll"
    system.ini, drivers32,,"VIDC.H265=x265vfw.dll"
    system.ini, drivers32,,"VIDC.X265=x265vfw.dll"

[x265video.AddReg]
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32,VIDC.HEVC,,"x265vfw.dl l"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32,VIDC.H265,,"x265vfw.dl l"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32,VIDC.X265,,"x265vfw.dl l"

HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\x265video
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\x265video,DisplayName,,"X265 Video Codec (Remove Only)"
    HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uni nstall\x265video,UninstallString,,"rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 %17%\x265vfw.inf"

Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Why do you use an upper case X in the name? (I don't care about the FourCC here. I don't even care about riding dead horses here...)
    Quote Quote  
  15. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Because that's what I find in many /¿most? /¿¿all?? .INF files

But that's not the actual problem, the actual problem must be in the DLLs themselves.

Probably their author compiled them for VirtualDubMod running under Windows 8.1
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Well, it is indeed possible that it may have either a "minimum OS" in its header set too high, or ... this is not a 64-bit DLL, is it? I did not yet download, I am perfectly fine with the EXE as external encoder (which VirtualDub 1.10+ does support)...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thnx for All.
    I've developed and tested under Win7-x64, but the VirtualDubMod and the x265vfw are x86 (32 bit) ones.
    You shall use the x86 versions of VirtualDub(Mod), x64 versions don't see the x86 based x265vfw codec.
    Later I'll try to release an x64 version of x265vfw.
    I will test it under Windows XP (32 bit) too, but currently I cannot test it on Win 8/10.
    I've made minimal modifications in the x264vfw source, to be sure in that, where x264vfw works, there x265vfw will also do.
    The x265vfw lossless mode and fast-firstpass are surely bad (in the first v100 release), I've corrected these already.
    Last edited by Mpxplay; 25th Jan 2016 at 08:47.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using Virtualdub 1.10.5 test7 32bit in Windows Pro 64bit. I don't see x265 in the encoder list and if I try to configure under Start menu, Windows says that it cannot find the dll. I searched my pc for x265vfw.dll and tried to manually register it but I get the same error message. Cannot find the dll module.

My interest is to see if I can Smart Render x265 and also get drag and drop support but I see that is not possible since it is only an encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit
    At "Installation complete", press "Show details".
    Please check the attached pictures for reference(s).
    What is the difference at you?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	x265vfw_install_log_v100.png
Views:	635
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	35372  

Click image for larger version

Name:	x265vfw_vdub105_video_compression.png
Views:	718
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	35373  

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Installation is identical except your Output folder is VIDEO.MAP and mine is x265vfw.

There is no x265vfw under Select video compression so there is no x265vfw Configuration.

Trying under Start Menu... There was a problem starting x265vfw.dll

The Specified module cannot be found.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Trying to install now too...

Nit: In the installer header, you can read "x265vfw - H.265/MPEG-4 AVC codec Setup"; but it's HEVC, not AVC. Same in the installation finish page.

C:\Program Files (x86)\x265vfw contains x265vfw-uninstall.exe and x265vfw.ico - OK.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64 contains x265vfw.dll and libx265.dll - OK.

VirtualDub 1.10.4 shows no x265vfw codec while no source video is loaded. Also not while a video is loaded.

No "VIDC.HEVC" or "VIDC.X265" entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32 (that would be the 64 bit VfW section; no problem).

There is a "vidc.x265" entry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32, referring to "x265vfw.dll". Looks OK here.

Dependency Walker x86 reports the following missing DLLs:
    • LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL
    • LIBSTDC++-6.DLL
    • GPSVC.DLL
    • IESHIMS.DLL

Looks like you did not create a "static build".
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thank You, this is usefull.
    You are right, it's not a static build, because I had some linker problems in that mode. (mixed C/C++ code)
    I'll try again...
    LIBGCC_S_DW2-1.DLL and LIBSTDC++-6.DLL are part of MinGW\bin only.
    GPSVC.DLL and IESHIMS.DLL exist at me somewhere in my c:\windows\winsxs\...\ directory.

"MPEG-4 AVC" will be modified to "MPEG-H". I think so that's correct.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-H
    Last edited by Mpxplay; 26th Jan 2016 at 02:40.
    Quote Quote  
  23. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    ^ Yes$S, now it works as it should on Windows XP

However the interface still needs to be improved a lot...
    some users will not like the presets thing, and the help button is totally unhelpful
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 27th Jan 2016 at 14:51. Reason: ..........
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't open HEVC in Virtualdub (without ffmpeg supported files) as expected. Can't use Smart Render or Direct Stream Copy on existing HEVC file like x264 can with AVC1. x265 is slightly faster than x265vfw and x265vfw doesn't print any statistics (quiet mode?). Virtualdub crashes if I tick VDub Hack but runs fine without it.

Will be helpfull for users that use x264vfw and users that are afraid to learn to use the external encoder in Virtualdub. What we really need is an updated ffmpeg with x265 support and an x265 input plugin for Virtualdub.

I would use this vfw version if it had at least Direct Stream Copy and preferably Smart Rendering. Oh and HEVC Input Support like x264vfw has for AVC.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thank You for the testing!

Of course I will try to make everything, but this is not an 1-2 days work... And I have other duties too...
    The decoder side is missing yet in the x265vfw, I will add it, probably in the next release (v120). I don't know yet which problems will be solved by this.
    The Help is empty because the command line extra options also doesn't work yet. (different options x264 vs x265)

So, the v110 release is out, here too:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/files/x265vfw/x265vfw_v110_x265b80

This installer is always the latest x86 version from now:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpxplay/files/x265vfw/x265vfw_x86_latest.exe

The missing features:
    - decoder side
    - extra command line options (also the Help)
    - any file i/o handling
    Last edited by Mpxplay; 27th Jan 2016 at 13:49.
    Quote Quote  
  26. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post

and an x265 input plugin for Virtualdub
    Yes, that one would really be great.
    But it won't be a trivial task, sadly.
    Besides containing an HEVC decoder, it must support three containers (TS, MP4, MKV), plus elementary streams.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    Can't open HEVC in Virtualdub (without ffmpeg supported files) as expected.
    Why did you expect that? As documented, x265vfw is an encoder only. It can only create HEVC. To be able to read HEVC in AVI, you would need a VfW decoder, and ffvfw as part of ffdshow is currently the only one I know which would have a chance if it would have been built with a current libavcodec; an alternative may be additional input plugins.

What we really need is ...
    ... a video editor which can be used as easy as VirtualDub, but does not rely on the obsolete AVI container anymore.

Avidemux should become this alternative video editing platform. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as it sounded...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    What we really need is ...
    ... a video editor which can be used as easy as VirtualDub, but does not rely on the obsolete AVI container anymore.

Avidemux should become this alternative video editing platform. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as it sounded...
    Aviutl is a good choice for this. It is not as easy to use however. Another choice is ShotCut. That one is easy to use, but works better in Linux than windows in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why did you expect that? As documented, x265vfw is an encoder only. It can only create HEVC.
    That is why I expected it. Because it is only an encoder.

As for Virtualdub, it does not rely on AVI solely. With the input plugins and ffmpeg, it can open just about any file type and the external encoder makes it possible to encode to just about any file type. It would just be nice to be able to drag and drop.

Does any other program offer Smart Rendering of x265?

Besides containing an HEVC decoder, it must support three containers (TS, MP4, MKV), plus elementary streams.
    With the right input plugins, Virtualdub already supports those containers if the codec is enabled in ffmpeg. Problem is that support was dropped before HEVC could be implemented.

When the x265vfw codec is complete, it should be able to do with HEVC what x264vfw does with AVC. Saving as AVI gives an option that might not be possible otherwise. Putting the video in another container is easy enough. For myself, the external encoder is pretty much all I need but there might be times that I need to direct stream copy or smart render like I do with x264.

EDIT: I meant ffdshow, not ffmpeg.
    Last edited by DarrellS; 28th Jan 2016 at 11:22.
    Quote Quote