VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or try DVDFab and copy, convert or make Blu-rays and DVDs! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 78
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Budapest
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Guys!

    The official webpage of x265 project (Member of Multicoreware INC) http://x265.org/about.html


    I talked with the x265 developers (multicoreware) via facebook.

    Here is their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/multicoreware , where you can ask them about x265.


    My first post:
    "HI!
    Are there any directshow version of x265 encoder? (For V.dub and Premiere) ?
    Do you plan to make a vfw / directshow version of x265?
    It would be very important!
    Thank you!"


    Their answer:
    MulticoreWare Inc:

    "Hi,
    Thanks for your query. We got a response from the x265 team..

    ------------ We don't have one, it's not on the roadmap right now. It's very easy. Someone could do this in a few days; it's just a matter of resources and priority."


    My second post:

    "HI!

    Is it allowed to create a vfw / directshow version of your x265 encoder?"


    Their answer:
    MulticoreWare Inc:

    "Yes. x265 has a Open-source GPL license with the entire source code available for anyone to contribute back. Look at this link - https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/x265/wiki/Home



    multicoreware / x265 / wiki / Home — Bitbucket
    bitbucket.orgTo compile x265 you must first install Mercurial (or TortoiseHg on Windows) and CMake 2.8.8 or later. To insure your build of x265 is capable of full performance, install YASM 1.2.0 or greater to compile assembly primitives. Then follow these easy steps "



    So, are there any talented programmer who can do this "very easy" task?


    DO NOT FORGET: IT WOULD BE A MILESTONE IN HEVC-HISTORY !

    Thank you for your reply!






    Last edited by Stears555; 22nd Dec 2013 at 09:15.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think it would be a great step ahead, 'cause if one vfw h265 appears, it would become immediately a standard.
    Why?
    Because all of the anime and dorama encoders will jump at it, to take advantage of its features.
    In fact, between the race of vp9 vs h265, the first one getting massive video encodings will set the basis for dominance in the near future.

    ---

    and while we are talking about this 'easy' task...
    Why not a VFW update of some other important codecs? (...or instructions of how to do it)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    Why should the outdated VfW interface be necessary to make x265 usable? This mistake would only cause more mistakes, like wrapping HEVC in the really obsolete AVI container. And then people will complain that they are unable to edit HEVC in AVI.

    HEVC is a one-way format, it is not made for being edited after encoding. Make it, watch it; but don't try to change it anymore after it's done.

    HEVC is an MPEG standard. Put it into an MPEG container, means, M2TS or MP4. Or in a really universal container, means, MKV. To achieve that, you don't need VfW.

    If you insist in a VfW codec to be able to use VirtualDub, then make it only so that the HEVC raw stream is exported as additional file. But don't try to force it into AVI. Already AVC didn't belong there. AVI simply does not support it (not even simple B frames, and by far not weighted, or even multiple references).

    You can already use VirtualDub by using x265 as external encoder application. And then multiplex the video with MP4Box or mkvmerge.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    HEVC is a one-way format, it is not made for being edited after encoding. Make it, watch it; but don't try to change it anymore after it's done.
    In light of the fact that AVC was also supposed to be a non-editing, distribution-centric format (and likely all the other MPEGs as well), this is a very short-sighted viewpoint.
    In fact, since it has flexibility in its resolution sizes, colorspaces, MBs, and in particular bitrates, it probably makes it MORE likely to be used beyond just endpoint distribution.

    You are right that AVC in AVI probably didn't belong there and that VFW & AVI really weren't built to be able to accommodate its advanced features, but it HAS happened and IS in use, mostly because there was a need. Somebody is going to fill that similar HEVC need. Let's hope it is someone with enough programming expertise to make it less of a hassle when using AVI (because as long as people are still using the AVI container, they'll want to fill it with current codecs).

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Mumbai
    Search Comp PM
    (because as long as people are still using the AVI container, they'll want to fill it with current codecs).
    Yes they will keep doing this ...
    I'm looking at the prospects of VFW for x265 .. Also Planning to do something about this project before someone else does it...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    Why should the outdated VfW interface be necessary to make x265 usable? This mistake would only cause more mistakes, like wrapping HEVC in the really obsolete AVI container. And then people will complain that they are unable to edit HEVC in AVI.
    Like it or not, one of the best softwares to edit videos is virtualdub & virtualdubmod. Sadly, them both use vfw codecs. But the quality of the results, in Xvid, x264 or any other video... is the reason why many encoders continue using it despite some of them have 10 years without any updates (vdmod). And, if we are talking of people who almost everytime live complaining of 'the best quality'... it really is something amazing.

    Avi container is not obsolete just because you think so. It is just like a little brother of the mkv.
    You wanna put a x264 video+ aac+ soft subtitles in mkv? ...oooh, surprise... you can do that in avi as well.
    You wanna have a 1090x1080 video in mkv? ...avi can support it too.
    and... if you think avi is obsolete because is using Xvid... you're wrong. Xvid is as good as x264 (both are mp4), just needs a little more filesize in the video. 'cause if you don't know... Xvid supports 1920x1080 too.



    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    HEVC is a one-way format, it is not made for being edited after encoding. Make it, watch it; but don't try to change it anymore after it's done.
    What encoders do (ex: anime and/or dorama), is search for a raw video (mostly m2ts) and compress it with a codec (here is where we need the vfw x265) insert the subtitles (including karaokes), some minor corrections (mostly with the Vdub/vdmod plugins/filters) and when ready, offer them to everyone who wants them.

    So, what I'm saying.... is that we (encoders) need the x265 vfw codec, to create a video from a raw one. We don't take one already x265 and recompress it.
    And if you can't understand that, pls colaborate with your silence.



    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    HEVC is an MPEG standard. Put it into an MPEG container, means, M2TS or MP4. Or in a really universal container, means, MKV. To achieve that, you don't need VfW.
    oh god...
    Well...
    Long story, short...

    m2ts uses codecs H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC for Blu rays. They are high definition and their files mostly seems uncompressed because of the size of their videos.

    Ex: 1 bd movie (90minutes) = 25, 30 or 40gb filesize.

    Encoding (subs, color, resize, logo, crop, etc) this movie with x265, and then placing into the mkv, mp4 o even avi container, I'm sure is possible to obtain a great quality video with almost 1gb.
    THATS what we (the ones who are asking the vfw x265 codec) are looking for.


    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    If you insist in a VfW codec to be able to use VirtualDub, then make it only so that the HEVC raw stream is exported as additional file. But don't try to force it into AVI. Already AVC didn't belong there. AVI simply does not support it (not even simple B frames, and by far not weighted, or even multiple references).

    You can already use VirtualDub by using x265 as external encoder application. And then multiplex the video with MP4Box or mkvmerge.
    Avi was the 1st container for the x264 video, when, the h264 appears with mp4.
    Many years passed until one day appears mkv, using the same x264 the avi was.
    If you don't believe me, take a deep look into vdub/vdubmod and you will find x264 in avi being accepted to encode, without problems.
    In fact, vdmod, also accepts mkv with x264 and/or xvid codecs.
    If one x265 vfw codec is also accepted, the video obtained fron the process could be used in any container without decreasing its quality.
    You want a mp4? ...use yamb, and make it so. From x265 avi, to x265 mp4 in 10 seconds without compression or quality loss.
    You want mkv? ...vdmod can directly set the x265 in the mkv. But, if you wanna work double, you can do the avi first and using mkvmergegui, obtain in few seconds the new mkv file you want (again with no quality loss).



    FINAL NOTE: You're obviously not an encoder and neither a programmer... pls, don't just complicate things because you're bored. Leave this issues to the people involved.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    @ luisppk:

    Among several interests, I am a programmer as well. I graduated in computer science. And I still develop software (mainly for website scripting now, but I still would be able to make stand-alone applications). I know algorithms, I know specifications. I read the ISO/IEC 11172 and 13818 to write tools analyzing MPEG-1/2 video streams, long ago... I know the difference between Xvid (encoder for MPEG-4 Part 2, ASP) and x264 (encoder for MPEG-4 Part 10, AVC). I know the AVI container since Windows 3.1 and VfW 1.1 (when there was not even a thought about bidirectional predicted video frames), and I tweaked my CONFIG.SYS to get more than 600/640 KB free. So I may not exactly be "clueless".

    I am not an "encoder" (or rather "moviez releaser"; an encoder is software for me), as you may call those people who don't care half as much about copyrights and licenses as about their ego. While watching a movie, I would hate release crew logos as much as FBI warnings. And I'm not going to share my copy, neither would I risk a forum to be closed because it is sued for supporting copyright infringement.

    Just because something works doesn't mean it is intended for that purpose. Yes, you can store AVC in AVI. You can also store RMVB in AVI. You can also cut a tree with a pocket knife or spread butter with a chainsaw blade. It's certainly possible. Just not intended for this use. AVI was intended for videos with key frames, delta frames and skip frames. Already Indeo 4 and MPEG-4 with B-frames required workarounds for the limitations of the AVI container. It is not obsolete because I have a mood, but because it has technical limits. I pity those people who will never get rid of workarounds, just because they are unable to handle another format in their favourite video player or file sharing tool.

    Mature technology for mature users. The rest for those who never grow up.

    This is not intended as personal affront; but according to my life experience, understanding the reason for the development of advanced technologies is less stress than understanding the reason for fitting square pegs into round holes.
    Quote Quote  
  8. DECEASED
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heaven
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    I think it would be a great step ahead, 'cause if one vfw h265 appears, it would become immediately a standard.
    Why?
    Because ALL of the anime and dorama encoders will jump at it, to take advantage of its features.
    AFAIK, we are in 2014, and currently NO "serious" anime «releasers» use .AVI, .OGG, or .OGM

    and while we are talking about this 'easy' task...
    Why not a VFW update of some other important codecs? (...or instructions of how to do it)
    Regarding H.264 especifically: both komisar and MasterNobody stopped updating the VfW frontend of libx264 many moons ago.
    The source-code is available, you only need to give some money to a sufficiently-skilled programmer
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 7th May 2014 at 08:41. Reason: grammar :-(
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    This mistake would only cause more mistakes, like wrapping HEVC in the really obsolete AVI container. And then people will complain that they are unable to edit HEVC in AVI.

    AVI is hardly an "obsolete" format, it's a professional format used with uncompressed audio and uncompressed or losslessly compressed video, used extensively in editing on Windows. one can think of AVI as the Windows equivalent of MOV. if you know what you're doing you never edit avc, no matter what container it's in, unless it's Intra only AVC, what you do is convert it to a lossless or even better raw uncompressed within an AVI container, you do your edits on that then export it to a final delivery format.

    thus your arguments are meaningless.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Like it or not, one of the best softwares to edit videos is virtualdub & virtualdubmod. Sadly, them both use vfw codecs. But the quality of the results, in Xvid, x264 or any other video... is the reason why many encoders continue using it despite some of them have 10 years without any updates (vdmod). And, if we are talking of people who almost everytime live complaining of 'the best quality'... it really is something amazing.
    I guess you're unaware the latest VirtualDub has an external encoder feature which, while someone painful to set up, once it is, allows VirtualDub to encode using commandline encoders such as x264 and x265?
    VirtualDub is a good program, but it's not what I'd describe as "best". Pretty much anything VirtualDub can do in terms of editing and filtering can be done using AVISynth or an Avisynth based encoder GUI such as MeGUI.

    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    and... if you think avi is obsolete because is using Xvid... you're wrong. Xvid is as good as x264 (both are mp4), just needs a little more filesize in the video. 'cause if you don't know... Xvid supports 1920x1080 too.
    Xvid is obsolete, and if you think it's not, you're fairly wrong. Standalone devices capable of playing video are far more likely to have hardware decoders that support h264 than h263 decoding (especially portable devices), and if they do support h263, it's often more limited in respect to resolution.
    You might be able to encode at high resolutions using Xvid, but x264 is far better at retaining detail. I don't think there's any room for debate there. You can use a custom Xvid matrix which will do a much better job than the standard h263 matrix, but you'll be encoding at very high bitrates and risking the inability of hardware players to decode it.
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    What encoders do (ex: anime and/or dorama), is search for a raw video (mostly m2ts) and compress it with a codec (here is where we need the vfw x265) insert the subtitles (including karaokes), some minor corrections (mostly with the Vdub/vdmod plugins/filters) and when ready, offer them to everyone who wants them.

    So, what I'm saying.... is that we (encoders) need the x265 vfw codec, to create a video from a raw one. We don't take one already x265 and recompress it.
    And if you can't understand that, pls colaborate with your silence.
    I think you better do some more research or keep silent yourself. Most of the video which is re-encoded (in m2ts files) is not "raw"..... whatever your definition of "raw" may be. It's compressed, often using a less efficient compression method such as mpeg2, which is why recompressing it with a more efficient encoder (ie x264) can reduce the file size. If you think it's unusual to recompress h264 video with a h264 encoder etc, you'd be fairly wrong there too.
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    m2ts uses codecs H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC for Blu rays. They are high definition and their files mostly seems uncompressed because of the size of their videos.
    Of course they're compressed. They're all different standards for compressing video. Take a video, encode it with the x264 encoder using CRF12, then encode the same video using CRF20. The file size of the first will be much, much larger. Are they both compressed? Of course they are.
    Don't believe me? Take one of those m2ts files and resave it using VirtualDub as a uncompressed AVI. Do you know how to do that? Or for that matter, even re-compress it using a lossless encoder such as Lagarith. Note the huge increase in file size which results, then explain how the original isn't compressed.

    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    : You're obviously not an encoder and neither a programmer... pls, don't just complicate things because you're bored. Leave this issues to the people involved.
    I'd suggest you listen to someone who knows what they're talking about and do far less talking until you do yourself.
    H265 isn't ready for prime time. It's slow and still not a huge improvement over h264, at least when it comes to the x265 encoder. One day it will be. Hopefully by then, there'll be plenty of standalone players which support it. Currently there are next to none.
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Encoding (subs, color, resize, logo, crop, etc) this movie with x265, and then placing into the mkv, mp4 o even avi container, I'm sure is possible to obtain a great quality video with almost 1gb.
    THATS what we (the ones who are asking the vfw x265 codec) are looking for.
    So open your m2ts file with VirtualDub and recompress it with the external encoder feature and the commandline version of the x265 encoder. What's the problem?
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Avi was the 1st container for the x264 video, when, the h264 appears with mp4.
    Many years passed until one day appears mkv, using the same x264 the avi was.
    If you don't believe me, take a deep look into vdub/vdubmod and you will find x264 in avi being accepted to encode, without problems.
    In fact, vdmod, also accepts mkv with x264 and/or xvid codecs.
    AVI was never intended to store B-Frames. Look them up if you don't know what they are. vfw was never designed to support them either. Getting an AVI to store B-frames when encoding with Xvid is a "hack", even if it's widely supported by players. Read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80430 It's a 10 year old post explaining the "hack".
    Try remuxing any video file with the current version of MKVMergeGUI and then opening it with VirtualDubMod. That should give you a pretty good idea as to how outdated it's MKV support is.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 7th May 2014 at 14:51.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    AVI was never intended to store B-Frames. Look them up if you don't know what they are. vfw was never designed to support them either. Even getting an AVI to store B-frames when encoding with Xvid is a "hack", even if it's widely supported by players. Read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80430 It's a 10 year old post explaining the "hack".
    And Alexander Noé agrees here. Not many people understand the AVI container better than him, I believe...
    __

    Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    thus your arguments are meaningless.
    This is the difference between a useful addition and trolling.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    @ luisppk:

    Among several interests, I am a programmer as well. I graduated in computer science. And I still develop software (mainly for website scripting now, but I still would be able to make stand-alone applications). I know algorithms, I know specifications. I read the ISO/IEC 11172 and 13818 to write tools analyzing MPEG-1/2 video streams, long ago... I know the difference between Xvid (encoder for MPEG-4 Part 2, ASP) and x264 (encoder for MPEG-4 Part 10, AVC). I know the AVI container since Windows 3.1 and VfW 1.1 (when there was not even a thought about bidirectional predicted video frames), and I tweaked my CONFIG.SYS to get more than 600/640 KB free. So I may not exactly be "clueless".

    I am not an "encoder" (or rather "moviez releaser"; an encoder is software for me), as you may call those people who don't care half as much about copyrights and licenses as about their ego. While watching a movie, I would hate release crew logos as much as FBI warnings. And I'm not going to share my copy, neither would I risk a forum to be closed because it is sued for supporting copyright infringement.

    Just because something works doesn't mean it is intended for that purpose. Yes, you can store AVC in AVI. You can also store RMVB in AVI. You can also cut a tree with a pocket knife or spread butter with a chainsaw blade. It's certainly possible. Just not intended for this use. AVI was intended for videos with key frames, delta frames and skip frames. Already Indeo 4 and MPEG-4 with B-frames required workarounds for the limitations of the AVI container. It is not obsolete because I have a mood, but because it has technical limits. I pity those people who will never get rid of workarounds, just because they are unable to handle another format in their favourite video player or file sharing tool.

    Mature technology for mature users. The rest for those who never grow up.

    This is not intended as personal affront; but according to my life experience, understanding the reason for the development of advanced technologies is less stress than understanding the reason for fitting square pegs into round holes.

    so now you're saying, that everything you write in your previous post wasn't what it says?
    well, ok.
    if that is what it takes to finish this argument, ok then.


    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Like it or not, one of the best softwares to edit videos is virtualdub & virtualdubmod. Sadly, them both use vfw codecs. But the quality of the results, in Xvid, x264 or any other video... is the reason why many encoders continue using it despite some of them have 10 years without any updates (vdmod). And, if we are talking of people who almost everytime live complaining of 'the best quality'... it really is something amazing.
    I guess you're unaware the latest VirtualDub has an external encoder feature which, while someone painful to set up, once it is, allows VirtualDub to encode using commandline encoders such as x264 and x265?
    VirtualDub is a good program, but it's not what I'd describe as "best". Pretty much anything VirtualDub can do in terms of editing and filtering can be done using AVISynth or an Avisynth based encoder GUI such as MeGUI.

    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    and... if you think avi is obsolete because is using Xvid... you're wrong. Xvid is as good as x264 (both are mp4), just needs a little more filesize in the video. 'cause if you don't know... Xvid supports 1920x1080 too.
    Xvid is obsolete, and if you think it's not, you're fairly wrong. Standalone devices capable of playing video are far more likely to have hardware decoders that support h264 than h263 decoding (especially portable devices), and if they do support h263, it's often more limited in respect to resolution.
    You might be able to encode at high resolutions using Xvid, but x264 is far better at retaining detail. I don't think there's any room for debate there. You can use a custom Xvid matrix which will do a much better job than the standard h263 matrix, but you'll be encoding at very high bitrates and risking the inability of hardware players to decode it.
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    What encoders do (ex: anime and/or dorama), is search for a raw video (mostly m2ts) and compress it with a codec (here is where we need the vfw x265) insert the subtitles (including karaokes), some minor corrections (mostly with the Vdub/vdmod plugins/filters) and when ready, offer them to everyone who wants them.

    So, what I'm saying.... is that we (encoders) need the x265 vfw codec, to create a video from a raw one. We don't take one already x265 and recompress it.
    And if you can't understand that, pls colaborate with your silence.
    I think you better do some more research or keep silent yourself. Most of the video which is re-encoded (in m2ts files) is not "raw"..... whatever your definition of "raw" may be. It's compressed, often using a less efficient compression method such as mpeg2, which is why recompressing it with a more efficient encoder (ie x264) can reduce the file size. If you think it's unusual to recompress h264 video with a h264 encoder etc, you'd be fairly wrong there too.
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    m2ts uses codecs H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC for Blu rays. They are high definition and their files mostly seems uncompressed because of the size of their videos.
    Of course they're compressed. They're all different standards for compressing video. Take a video, encode it with the x264 encoder using CRF12, then encode the same video using CRF20. The file size of the first will be much, much larger. Are they both compressed? Of course they are.
    Don't believe me? Take one of those m2ts files and resave it using VirtualDub as a uncompressed AVI. Do you know how to do that? Or for that matter, even re-compress it using a lossless encoder such as Lagarith. Note the huge increase in file size which results, then explain how the original isn't compressed.

    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    : You're obviously not an encoder and neither a programmer... pls, don't just complicate things because you're bored. Leave this issues to the people involved.
    I'd suggest you listen to someone who knows what they're talking about and do far less talking until you do yourself.
    H265 isn't ready for prime time. It's slow and still not a huge improvement over h264, at least when it comes to the x265 encoder. One day it will be. Hopefully by then, there'll be plenty of standalone players which support it. Currently there are next to none.
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Encoding (subs, color, resize, logo, crop, etc) this movie with x265, and then placing into the mkv, mp4 o even avi container, I'm sure is possible to obtain a great quality video with almost 1gb.
    THATS what we (the ones who are asking the vfw x265 codec) are looking for.
    So open your m2ts file with VirtualDub and recompress it with the external encoder feature and the commandline version of the x265 encoder. What's the problem?
    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Avi was the 1st container for the x264 video, when, the h264 appears with mp4.
    Many years passed until one day appears mkv, using the same x264 the avi was.
    If you don't believe me, take a deep look into vdub/vdubmod and you will find x264 in avi being accepted to encode, without problems.
    In fact, vdmod, also accepts mkv with x264 and/or xvid codecs.
    AVI was never intended to store B-Frames. Look them up if you don't know what they are. vfw was never designed to support them either. Getting an AVI to store B-frames when encoding with Xvid is a "hack", even if it's widely supported by players. Read this: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80430 It's a 10 year old post explaining the "hack".
    Try remuxing any video file with the current version of MKVMergeGUI and then opening it with VirtualDubMod. That should give you a pretty good idea as to how outdated it's MKV support is.
    Uff... you really wanna win, huh?

    Let me tell you:
    - This post is not to prove the rights or wrongs of xvid / x264 / x265... each one has pros and cons.
    You may not even have a standalone dvd player, but in the rest of the world its a common device. Xvid is very welcome there (DivX capable), to be burned in dvd disks and watched on tvs. Some of them still crt, believe or not... or maybe old versions of plasma/lcd (less than 1280x720).

    - Xvid and other codecs, are meant to obtain enough quality of videos, so people can enjoy their favorite ones. Not to fight which one is better (besides, DVD codec (mpg) is far more ancient and still popular).
    Doing a 'hack' to obtain the best of each of them (codecs) is part of software evolution. Today you call it hack, tomorrow is part of new software.
    Virtualdub and virtualdubmod are old relics of software for processing videos. Still, despite so many years, both have a legion of fans (Me, one). Avery Lee (owner and programmer of vdub) keeps updating his software (there is now a 64b ver.), but the basic idea is just the same as when it was first created, about 10 years ago.
    Avysinth is great and so is megui. Both of them are kinda complicated, but they are good software.
    Me, personally... I use avysinth in scripts, inserting them in VDmod. Works fine. Don't need megui (sorry megui).

    - As I said previously, this post is not for debating qualities of X or Y, codec or encoder... is just a petition to some kind spirit programmer to help build a vfw x265 codec.
    If you are not involve... what are you doing here?
    Let us (encoders) work with any software we like... why is so important to you to 'burn the house' with everyone inside of it?
    Let us 'fools' work with whatever codec we like. If it is good or bad, is our choice. And, if you don't like it... don't use it or neither watch anything done with it, and thats all.
    I assure you, there will be plenty of people in the internet enjoying everything you don't. So leave them/us with their/our choices.

    The End.


    ------------

    Any kind spirit programmer who can help us compiling a VFW x265 codec?

    VP9 will work as well
    Last edited by luisppk; 7th May 2014 at 16:23.
    Quote Quote  
  13. luisppk,
    You made the statement that Xvid is as good as x264. I simply pointed out that's not true. I guess we could argue the definition of obsolete, but I'll retract my statement regarding Xvid being obsolete given a lot of people probably still use it and instead point out it's been superseded by a better codec, which at this point in time is probably more commonly used.

    I'm not against "hacks" as such. Quite the opposite in fact. When a "hack" is universally implemented and it becomes a standard, I've no problem with that. If there's a need and it works..... but when something better comes along.
    However you said AVI was the first container for x264 video. I'd like to see some actual evidence of that.

    If you are not involve... what are you doing here?
    Firstly, because I felt the need to correct the plethora of misinformation in your posts (ie m2ts files generally containing "raw" uncompressed video, having a vfw version of the x265 encoder would make it an instant "standard", xvid being as good as x264 etc), and secondly to point out VirtualDub can these days use the commandline version of encoders such as x264 and x265. Even audio encoders. You seemed to be completely unaware of that. Why do you need a vfv version of an encoder when you don't errrrr..... need one?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by luisppk;2320116Virtualdub and [url=https://www.videohelp.com/tools/VirtualdubMOD
    virtualdubmod[/url] are old relics of software for processing videos. Still, despite so many years, both have a legion of fans (Me, one). Avery Lee (owner and programmer of vdub) keeps updating his software (there is now a 64b ver.), but the basic idea is just the same as when it was first created, about 10 years ago.]
    Virtualdub may look the same as it did when it was first released over 15 years ago but it is totally different than it was back then. Not sure why anyone uses Virtualdubmod since it has not been upgraded in years.

    There is absolutely no reason why Virtualdub needs a VFW 265 encoder since the addition of the external codec feature and x265's support of stdin. Same goes with VP9. Virtualdub's external encoder feature supports both of these encoders. I believe all the VP9 encoder sets are two pass. The biggest problem for both of these encoders are that they are way too damn slow for any serious encoding. Making them vfw encoders won't fix that problem.

    DivX265 on the other hand is two or three times faster than x265 and good enough for anyone interested in creating low framerate animations
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member Cornucopia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Search PM
    Now THAT'S a good answer, DarrellS!

    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    @ hello_hello:

    As long as luisppk believes that "winning" an argument is more important than "explaining", there is nothing more to add.

    I can easily accept that I am sometimes wrong, or that I was unable to explain my thoughts unambiguously (not being a native english speaker is certainly one factor). But I don't accept careless insults.
    __

    @ DarrellS:

    It is a pity that some of the useful additions in VirtualDubMod (e.g. the integrated AviSynth script editor and the flexible, more or less "unlimited" Streams list) were obviously not interesting enough to be added to VirtualDub (yet?). So when exactly these additions are useful for me, and the flaws of the old version are not relevant, I still use VirtualDubMod.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Kazakhstan
    Search Comp PM
    VFW HEVC appears in the final implementation of the encoder / decoder (mean 10,12 bit) -for ordinary users.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    I think it would be a great step ahead, 'cause if one vfw h265 appears, it would become immediately a standard.
    Why?
    Because all of the anime and dorama encoders will jump at it, to take advantage of its features.
    In fact, between the race of vp9 vs h265, the first one getting massive video encodings will set the basis for dominance in the near future.
    this guy (NexXKinn) has already been using H265 :/
    don't know how they did it...
    http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/72175
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    @ DarrellS:

    It is a pity that some of the useful additions in VirtualDubMod (e.g. the integrated AviSynth script editor and the flexible, more or less "unlimited" Streams list) were obviously not interesting enough to be added to VirtualDub (yet?). So when exactly these additions are useful for me, and the flaws of the old version are not relevant, I still use VirtualDubMod.
    I don't think there is much use for either nowadays. Fcchandler has made the biggest contributions to Virtualdub to make it what it is today (and it seems he's vanished from the face of the earth). The addition of the curve editor, smart rendering and the external encoder have taken Virtualdub to a state that none of the modded versions could reach. If I remember correctly, mkv was broken in the modded versions.

    You can still use avisynth scripts in Virtualdub but as mentioned in other threads, it's better to use the correct decoder or input plugins so there is no need to re-encode the whole video. Virtualdub doesn't support multiple audio files but there are workarounds if you really have to have more than one audio stream.

    Virtualdub has always been free for anyone to modify if they so wish. Fcchandler saw that it was better to build input plugins for Virtualdub to make it better instead of maintaining a version that edited mpeg2 video. The other modders seemed to get upset for reasons unknown to me and took their toys over to doom9 and refused to play with Avery anymore. There is a large anti-Virtualdub sentiment on doom9 and I've noticed that same sentiment starting to spread over here.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    The addition of the curve editor
    Where exactly is this "curve editor"? I have been using Virtualdub since I first started video editing so many moons ago, I don't remember seeing a curve editor.

    Virtualdub is one of those great free tools like Avisynth, AviUtl, Irfanview, Paint.Net and Gimp. I could not imagine not having those apps installed on my PCs.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so you want to make transitions in this car video. First, you would choose Video > Filters > Fill Filter > Choose Color > Choose White (since all the backgrounds are white) Click OK for color and OK to close the color picker. Under Filter click Blend and click OK to close the filter.
    Under View, choose Curve Editor. Create a curve by holding the shift key and left clicking to create points and move the points to create your curve. Move through the curve to see your transition. You can create as many curves as you need in your clip and use smart render if adding transitions to an existing file. Not sure if this animated ping will work... EDIT: It works in Firefox. For Browsers other than Firefox...
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cars-1.png
Views:	632
Size:	4.89 MB
ID:	25087  

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Cars-1b.png
Views:	409
Size:	5.49 MB
ID:	25088  

    Last edited by DarrellS; 8th May 2014 at 23:02.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Central Germany
    Search PM
    As another AviSynth source editor with preview, you may as well use AvsPmod today; but it lacks of several other features provided by VirtualDub. Editing the script externally for the use in VirtualDub would mean to close and re-open it each time you edited it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    @ hello_hello:

    As long as luisppk believes that "winning" an argument is more important than "explaining", there is nothing more to add.
    Well I was hoping luisppk would return to explain why he can't use the external encoder feature of VirtualDub and instead needs to use a VFW encoder, but maybe that's not going to happen.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explaination DarrellS......

    I had a 67 Mustang Fastback with a 428 CobraJet similar to that orange one way back when I was a teenager. My brother had a 68 RoadRunner convertable with a 383 similar to that black one, without the blower. Neither of us had chicks that hot however......
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    My first car was a 64 1/2 Mustang. It only had a six cylinder. Second was a 65' Impala Super Sport with a 70' 350 out of an El Camino with 327 Corvette heads. Got both of these cars at a dealers auto auction for $250 & $350. Your 67 Fastback with a 428 had to have been a monster. I seen a few Mach ones with 428 CJs but that was a bigger car. I almost bought a 67 Ford Fairlane Daytona Special (only 72 made) 427 Ford but I chickened out. It was way too much of a car for me at age 17. I had a 67 GTO and a 69 GTO. Both cars were bats out of hell. Oh yeah, I bought a 69 Super Bee in the mid 80s' with a 383. It was pretty nasty also. My brother had a 69 Chevelle SS 396 that was pretty mean.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    @ hello_hello:

    As long as luisppk believes that "winning" an argument is more important than "explaining", there is nothing more to add.
    Well I was hoping luisppk would return to explain why he can't use the external encoder feature of VirtualDub and instead needs to use a VFW encoder, but maybe that's not going to happen.
    1. I have a life. Have to work... have family... have friends...
    Internet is how I invest my time in home, when I have any. All the rest, I live life.

    2. As I said before... This post is not for debating, winning or explaining stuff. Is about asking some good hearted programmer to build a VFW x265 codec.
    Everything else, just came as collateral chit chat.

    3. If I love to use vdub or vdubmod or even windows notepad... is my business.
    You, of course, can do as you wish. I haven't ask you, no need to know or even care.

    4. I'm part of a community who love videos. Movies, anime, doramas, series, musicals, etc.
    Also, as part of this community, I share almost everything I do... FREE! (Put my nick in google and you'll see)


    Despite people who downloads and run... people who never seed a torrent... people who only write comments, just to complain...
    Despite all the time invested in doing something to share, because we like (or love)... battling against filehosts, uploads, forums, pc failures, claims because being late for any new video, etc...
    Despite all that and many more... I'm still here, listening complains, instead of ONE person offering what I'm asking for.
    And not just for me... for everyone who can use it.
    That is how interested I am in this matter.

    If all previous reasons are not good enough for you... pls, be free to continue posting.
    As for me, this is the last time I'm answering to you, unless, by any chance (miracles can happen), you came by with any contribution.


    NOTE: I'm not native english speaker. Is just my 2nd language. Just happens I was a nice student. Spanish is my first.
    I also know some Italian, Portuguese and Japanese (but can't read).
    That's why I do subtitles (and encoding of course)... is kinda easy to me and enjoy doing it.


    _____________________________


    Any kind spirit programmer who can help us compiling a VFW x265 codec?

    PD: VP9 will work as well
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    @ hello_hello:

    As long as luisppk believes that "winning" an argument is more important than "explaining", there is nothing more to add.
    Well I was hoping luisppk would return to explain why he can't use the external encoder feature of VirtualDub and instead needs to use a VFW encoder, but maybe that's not going to happen.
    1. I have a life. Have to work... have family... have friends...
    Internet is how I invest my time in home, when I have any. All the rest, I live life.
    Okay...... I'm thrilled you think that's relevant to my question, and while I can assure you I found it fascinating, given obviously very few other people have a life...... VirtualDub can use commandline encoders via is external encoders feature. Why don't you simply use the x264/x265 commandline encoders instead of a VFW version? What's the advantage to using a VFW version?

    Originally Posted by luisppk View Post
    2. As I said before... This post is not for debating, winning or explaining stuff. Is about asking some good hearted programmer to build a VFW x265 codec. Everything else, just came as collateral chit chat.
    Well x264 is a pretty mature encoder, but it's early days for x265. When the version someone built for you today becomes obsolete tomorrow, are you hoping for an updated version? And what about next week? Or the week after? Will this VFW version of the x265 encoder you're requesting never need updating?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    I think luisppk wants to edit his pirated videos in an NLE (probably Vegas?) and needs a VFW x265 encoder to export directly out. He likely doesn't know that he can FrameServe out of Vegas/Premiere into a standalone encoder or VirtulDub. A comandline encoder is probably too much work for him. He likely doesn't know that he can also edit his pirated videos in AviUtl (free advanced editor) and can export to x265 hevc mp4 or mkv.

    He just wants someone to work on something to make his life easy, even if nobody else needs a VFW x265 encoder.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member racer-x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DarrellS View Post
    My first car was a 64 1/2 Mustang. It only had a six cylinder. Second was a 65' Impala Super Sport with a 70' 350 out of an El Camino with 327 Corvette heads. Got both of these cars at a dealers auto auction for $250 & $350. Your 67 Fastback with a 428 had to have been a monster. I seen a few Mach ones with 428 CJs but that was a bigger car. I almost bought a 67 Ford Fairlane Daytona Special (only 72 made) 427 Ford but I chickened out. It was way too much of a car for me at age 17. I had a 67 GTO and a 69 GTO. Both cars were bats out of hell. Oh yeah, I bought a 69 Super Bee in the mid 80s' with a 383. It was pretty nasty also. My brother had a 69 Chevelle SS 396 that was pretty mean.
    I bought that 67 mustang for $900. It had the original 390 (with a burnt intake valve) and broken leaf spring. I found a sweet deal on a 428 CobraJet engine for $125 (those were the days). Yeah it was real fast and would get rubber in all four gears.

    Looks like you had lot's of nice toys. I always loved the GTOs. I had a few toys, but this is the only picture I have. It's a 67 Nova SS with a 327 / 4-speed. It was pretty quick and looked cool. Wish I still had it.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nova.jpg
Views:	3030
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	25139  

    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads