VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about you but one of my gripes about "impression" obsessed websites is when you have to click page after page of a top 10 list to see the whole damn list.

I finally saw a website include a VIEW ALL button.

BRILLIANT!

Why more websites don't do that I don't understand.

I'm more likely to jump to something else then to click through all ten or more of some kind of list.

I just want to see the whole thing in a row. I could click an individual entry for more detail if I want but if you have a list I want to see whole thing.

Just a gripe of mine.

I know why they make you do it. They want the impressions and make you see more ads per stay at the website. I get that. It's just annoying when all you want to do is read through the list.

Edit - And i don't have that short of an attention span. I will read a whole article but I just don't like having to click page after page to get to the number one item on a list. I want it all in front of me.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree too. And, is it me, or are these sites purposely running on clogged code to intentionally slow down? Even the link to go to the next one takes many more seconds than with normal sites.

In many cases, what it does for me is that I end up leaving the site without even seeing what's/who's #1. I can see in advance that it would be too time consuming and I don't bother.

Originally Posted by yoda313
    I know why they make you do it. They want the impressions and make you see more ads per stay at the website. I get that.
    Exactly. And more impressions is a justifiable stat to hose the advertisers for more. This, and duration of visit (hence what I believe is the intentional slowing down). I don't think they do it for suspense.

But a person like me, and likely many others, lack of attention span or not, are missing out on their advertisers. Did they consider this stat? I wonder if sponsors of #1 are paying more to be in the #1 spot, or paying less due to obviously less impressions. Probably it could be random.

No, don't get me wrong. I'm not one to say that I hate ads, and can't be convinced, blah, blah, blah. I can go for a good sales method and will buy from that, but I just lost the appetite over the years to spend mega time on these sites. It's like swimming in mud to get to #1.

Yes, a "view all" would be refreshing.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by puzzler
    And, is it me, or are these sites purposely running on clogged code to intentionally slow down? Even the link to go to the next one takes many more seconds than with normal sites.
    I don't know the nuts and bolts behind it but it seems like the more "stuff" throw on a site the longer it takes to get everything up and running.

------------------

One aside here is when you click on a news article on a site like yahoo and the video clip automatically plays.

That really annoys me when I don't know first hand it IS a video clip. Sometimes I just want to browse through an article, especially if it's about sports where I don't want or need to know all the details, just the highlights.

-----------------------

Originally Posted by puzzler
    Yes, a "view all" would be refreshing.
    I'm glad I'm not alone on this
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i remember the days when webpages would load and fill up super fast, instantly. especially the cached pages. those days a long gone. you have java and flash, the order priority of loading images and ads to thank. and all these load even though you say to block them since you are just blocking from viewing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes and don't forget all those JS scripts that some sites use. I have found some sites have 15 or more scripts trying to run. This site has at least 4 scripts on this page alone.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote