VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought honestech vhs to dvd 7.0 , it works good in easy mode but will not work in advanced mode. It will capture about 3 to 5 mins. of video then it will freeze up and stop working. I emailed honestech and they told me to uninstall and reinstall and download lasted drivers and patches but that still didn't help. I am running windows 7 with sp 1 . Pentium dual core 3.20 GHz and 4.0 ram. Are there anything I can do to get advanced mode to work, I would really like to edit some of my videos. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem! Also have Windows 7, downloaded the patch and the driver update. Nothing! Easy mode will work but as you mentioned I also need to edit my video footage. That's why I bought this product!
    Help??!!!
    Sure hope somebody can help,
    Deb
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Honestech?

The office in the US is a PO Box:

P.O. Box 26365 Austin, TX 78755

Kind of says it all doesn't it?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Debl View Post
    I have the same problem! Also have Windows 7, downloaded the patch and the driver update. Nothing! Easy mode will work but as you mentioned I also need to edit my video footage. That's why I bought this product!
    Help??!!!
    Sure hope somebody can help,
    Deb
    You probably do not have to use the included software to edit your captures. If you are capturing MPEG-2 video (what DVDs use) try Mpg2Cut2 (free) or MPEG-VCR ($19 with a free trial) for basic editing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately it is the capture part of the package which I need. It works as it should in the easy mode, but in the advanced mode will not work at all and that is the one I prefer to use so I may edit my captures. I'm trying to put the old family VHS and 8mm footage onto the computer to edit and save as dvds.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Debl View Post
    Unfortunately it is the capture part of the package which I need. It works as it should in the easy mode, but in the advanced mode will not work at all and that is the one I prefer to use so I may edit my captures. I'm trying to put the old family VHS and 8mm footage onto the computer to edit and save as dvds.
    I can't tell you how to fix the broken software that came with your device. I can only suggest other software. (There is other software available for capturing video, editing video and for making DVDs. Some is free.) If that doesn't interest you then I have no help to offer.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Feb 2015 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Honestech?

The office in the US is a PO Box:

P.O. Box 26365 Austin, TX 78755

Kind of says it all doesn't it?
    I actually agree 100% my newpball on this one.

I learned a long time ago in life that the more somebody goes out of their way to tell you that they are X, the odds are really good that they are not X at all.

Any company that feels the need to put "honest" in their name raises all kinds of red flags with me that they may not be honest at all. So sorry I can't help with this particular problem, but perhaps a valuable life lesson can be learned from this experience. The experienced people here don't use this company's stuff at all, which should tell you a lot about how good it is.

Stating the obvious, if this company is oh so "honest" then perhaps you can contact them for help. What? You already tried that and that's why you're coming here? Then read what I said above very carefully.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is that the OP's Honestech's software has compatibility issues, maybe because it's an outdated version. The current version is Honestech VHS to DVD 8.0.

It is true that Honestech's software wouldn't meet the needs of most VideoHelp members. It appears to be an easy all-in-one program aimed at beginners. As I recall, it enjoyed some popularity at one time. I remember seeing it sold at Target and OfficeMax bundled with some other capture device. The software's reputation was good enough that some generic crap capture products bundle unlicensed, modified versions of their older software with their own products.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 27th Feb 2015 at 11:29.
    Quote Quote